What are your expectations for England? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What are your expectations for England?

How well will England do in Russia?

• Knocked out in the group stage

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Quarter final

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Semi final

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Runner up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winner

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Don't care, I'm Argyle and that's it!

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
rsp4":gsvl7olr said:
Last 16 for me im afraid. I have settled to the fact that I will never see England in a major tournament final in my lifetime (born just after the 66 world cup) The best England team I have seen was the Terry Venables team with Shearer, Sherringham, Gazza etc and that was our best chance of reaching a final. Ever since we have not had the English players to match nor players with the right mentality. The Premiership primos dobt give two hoots about their England careers.

I said quite a few years ago pull an England team from the Championship and see how it copes. :)

I maintain that if we had beaten Brazil in 2002 we could have gone on to win that tournament. Brazil had an easy run to final after playing us and the German team in the final were very very average. Our defence with seaman in goal was solid and Owen was still top of his game at that time.
But for that Ronaldinho fluke goal.....

H

HuddyTheGreen

Essex Green 21":2f6futmg said:
rsp4":2f6futmg said:
Last 16 for me im afraid. I have settled to the fact that I will never see England in a major tournament final in my lifetime (born just after the 66 world cup) The best England team I have seen was the Terry Venables team with Shearer, Sherringham, Gazza etc and that was our best chance of reaching a final. Ever since we have not had the English players to match nor players with the right mentality. The Premiership primos dobt give two hoots about their England careers.

I said quite a few years ago pull an England team from the Championship and see how it copes. :)

I maintain that if we had beaten Brazil in 2002 we could have gone on to win that tournament. Brazil had an easy run to final after playing us and the German team in the final were very very average. Our defence with seaman in goal was solid and Owen was still top of his game at that time.

I'd agree with that, that was a good side and Eriksson has since been proved to have been a decent manager i believe.

I also think that if we hadn't lost to France with 2 goals in time added on we may have gone on to win Euro 2004, we would have had greece the czech republic and portugal in the final.

What if, what if what if, what if.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Some of the movement from England in this game has been unreal.

2-0 at HT flatters Nigeria who have been pretty woeful in fairness.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
We were as bad in the 2nd half as we were good in the first.

Oct 31, 2015
Oh dear that was an awful 2nd half. My heartbeat actually increased in the first and the movement up top was brilliant. 2nd half England struggled to cope with the Nigeria change. Just cements my earlier comments

Sep 6, 2006
HuddyTheGreen":34bnep1u said:
Essex Green 21":34bnep1u said:
rsp4":34bnep1u said:

I'd agree with that, that was a good side and Eriksson has since been proved to have been a decent manager i believe.

I also think that if we hadn't lost to France with 2 goals in time added on we may have gone on to win Euro 2004, we would have had greece the czech republic and portugal in the final.

So if we hadnt lost we might have won eh?! OK.
As for Ericsson - waste of money to me. He had a good squad of players and achieved nothing.

Aug 5, 2016
I turned on at HT and saw one way traffic. Not good seeing England at home having the game dictated by Nigeria, an average footballing nation and hardly the cream of South America or Europe.

England don't have a balanced side, the first team XI doesn't stand out from the 23. Kane banging in an impressive finish is about the one saving grace but the standard of the rest is completely average.

6/10 MUST DO BETTER

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1nytcop9 said:
I turned on at HT and saw one way traffic. Not good seeing England at home having the game dictated by Nigeria, an average footballing nation and hardly the cream of South America or Europe.

England don't have a balanced side, the first team XI doesn't stand out from the 23. Kane banging in an impressive finish is about the one saving grace but the standard of the rest is completely average.

6/10 MUST DO BETTER

England arent the cream of Europe either so why should we expect to steamroller a decent African side?

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":1ho3jzjq said:
Knibbsworth":1ho3jzjq said:

6/10 MUST DO BETTER

England arent the cream of Europe either so why should we expect to steamroller a decent African side?

So your objective is not to win the World Cup, it is to not lose to any side that is 'decent'. Might run into a few of them at the tourny seeing as they all qualified and are in good form.

Shame you couldn't be so understanding when Derek Adams was struggling and getting beaten by teams with far superior budgets, isn't it?

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":2qehpct9 said:
Balham_Green":2qehpct9 said:
Knibbsworth":2qehpct9 said:

6/10 MUST DO BETTER

So your objective is not to win the World Cup, it is to not lose to any side that is 'decent'. Might run into a few of them at the tourny seeing as they all qualified and are in good form.

Shame you couldn't be so understanding when Derek Adams was struggling and getting beaten by teams with far superior budgets, isn't it?

Well if you think we are going to win WC you are more deluded than I thought. Congratulations though on getting info on all the budgets of teams in our league. Impressive work.

H

HuddyTheGreen

Balham_Green":wh7v48r8 said:
HuddyTheGreen":wh7v48r8 said:
Essex Green 21":wh7v48r8 said:
rsp4":wh7v48r8 said:

So if we hadnt lost we might have won eh?! OK.
As for Ericsson - waste of money to me. He had a good squad of players and achieved nothing.

Considering we missed a penalty and let two howlers in in extra time it certainly would have given us a chance yes. Ok.

Quarter final appearances are better than we've achieved of late isn't it?