What are your expectations for England? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What are your expectations for England?

How well will England do in Russia?

• Knocked out in the group stage

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Quarter final

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Semi final

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Runner up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winner

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Don't care, I'm Argyle and that's it!

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The defence against Nigeria was set up wrong.

A right footed winger (converted by his club to left back) played as a left wing back, a right footed centre back played on the left side of the three centre backs, a flying attacking right back played as a centre back, a right back played as a right wing back and in the middle of all this is John Stones who is suspect to a howler or two in each game.

Why not play round pegs in round holes?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I disagree slightly, personally I think Ashley Young should be one of the first names on the team sheet, outstanding LWB despite being right footed, plus he’s been playing regular football all season & performing well, much better option than Rose or Bertrand.

May 11, 2008
Remember Ashley Young on the left for Watford at Home Park in a FA Cup tie. Early in his career, think he scored as well.

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":2scbuyk0 said:

A right footed winger (converted by his club to left back) played as a left wing back, a right footed centre back played on the left side of the three centre backs, a flying attacking right back played as a centre back, a right back played as a right wing back and in the middle of all this is John Stones who is suspect to a howler or two in each game.

Ashley Young has played left wing the majority of his career. He can cross and pass exceptionally well with both feet. It's not like he's David Beckham and playing on the left hand side is completely alien to him. As Cobi says, he's been part of a successful back four that finished second in the league, during a season in which Danny Rose has been very poor (and now back up for Ben Davies) and Ryan Bertrand has got relegated with Southampton in a defence which has shipped goals all season.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1u5yi34d said:
PL2 3DQ":1u5yi34d said:

Ashley Young has played left wing the majority of his career. He can cross and pass exceptionally well with both feet. It's not like he's David Beckham and playing on the left hand side is completely alien to him. As Cobi says, he's been part of a successful back four that finished second in the league, during a season in which Danny Rose has been very poor (and now back up for Ben Davies) and Ryan Bertrand has got relegated with Southampton in a defence which has shipped goals all season.

Southampton didn't get relegated! Unfortunately.

Sep 6, 2006
HuddyTheGreen":1v7ylvti said:
Balham_Green":1v7ylvti said:
HuddyTheGreen":1v7ylvti said:
Essex Green 21":1v7ylvti said:
rsp4":1v7ylvti said:
Last 16 for me im afraid. I have settled to the fact that I will never see England in a major tournament final in my lifetime (born just after the 66 world cup) The best England team I have seen was the Terry Venables team with Shearer, Sherringham, Gazza etc and that was our best chance of reaching a final. Ever since we have not had the English players to match nor players with the right mentality. The Premiership primos dobt give two hoots about their England careers.

I said quite a few years ago pull an England team from the Championship and see how it copes. :)

I maintain that if we had beaten Brazil in 2002 we could have gone on to win that tournament. Brazil had an easy run to final after playing us and the German team in the final were very very average. Our defence with seaman in goal was solid and Owen was still top of his game at that time.
But for that Ronaldinho fluke goal.....

I'd agree with that, that was a good side and Eriksson has since been proved to have been a decent manager i believe.

I also think that if we hadn't lost to France with 2 goals in time added on we may have gone on to win Euro 2004, we would have had greece the czech republic and portugal in the final.

What if, what if what if, what if.

So if we hadnt lost we might have won eh?! OK.
As for Ericsson - waste of money to me. He had a good squad of players and achieved nothing.

Considering we missed a penalty and let two howlers in in extra time it certainly would have given us a chance yes. Ok.

Quarter final appearances are better than we've achieved of late isn't it?

That was down to the players not the manager.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":22pustku said:
Knibbsworth":22pustku said:
PL2 3DQ":22pustku said:

Southampton didn't get relegated! Unfortunately.

Did they not? In that case well done them, but still, not exactly clean sheet after clean sheet at Old Trafford. Young has had a good season and so has the defensive unit he's been a mainstay in.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Quarters at best for me. Surely we will get out of a fairly straightforward group with Belgium? Slight favourites to progress in last 16 and then Germany or Brazil will be far too strong for us.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Always interesting to read what the non-English press think of our chances. I bought a French-language guide in Brussels the other day and here are some roughly translated snippets about England:

Strong points: Kane is one of the best attackers in the world; excellent on the counter-attack

Weak points: Lack of options in goal could cause problems; lose the ball too often in midfield

England were strongly criticised after been eliminated twice in the quarter-finals (in 2002 and 2006), but the majority of Three Lions fans would be delighted with this outcome in Russia having been given a cold shower in Brazil four years ago. Knocked out by Iceland in 2016, the national team no longer arouses as much public interest as in the past.

England remained unbeaten in a moribund qualification group in which second-placed Slovakia failed to qualify for the playoffs thanks to their low points tally.

Manager Gareth Southgate knows how to turn a phrase, but was relegated with Middlesbrough in his one and only spell at a club. His most recent experience at international level was with the under-21s, where he was eliminated at the group stage.

Kane is the key player despite a poor Euro 2016, but he has remained one of the most fearless and feared strikers in the world with Tottenham, having scored 56 goals in 52 games in 2017, more than any other player in the world.

Raheem Sterling is the rising star; having regressed a little following his €56m move from Liverpool, Pep Guardiola believed in him and is now one of the most dangerous wingers in Europe.

Prediction: With this favourable draw, the Three Lions will probably progress to the quarter finals, but they have an unfortunate habit of crumbling in front of the bigger teams.

What to bet on: Second in the group stage behind La Belgique.

Oct 24, 2010
To win the world cup assuming we get to the quarter finals, and we have to get past Colombia or Poland to do that, we will probably have to beat Brazil, Germany and Spain or France. Tall order. The semi finals would be a massive achievement.

Oct 24, 2010
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":2vcg1cmf said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":2vcg1cmf said:
monkeywrench":2vcg1cmf said:
Clarke_B":2vcg1cmf said:
monkeywrench":2vcg1cmf said:
r4h4al":2vcg1cmf said:
I think Quarter Finals like we usually do in tournaments. But that would actually be a success considering how poor we are compared to the great generation of 04-10.

Plus that and we haven't got to a Quarter Final since 2012.[/quote

We don't usually make the quarter finals any more. Haven't done for a long time (2006). We didn't get out of the group in 2012.

Monkeywrench, England did get out of the group in 2012...we drew with France and beat Sweden and the hosts Ukraine. We lost to Italy on penalties in the knockout.

My mistake, I was thinking world Cup in 2014.

We've not won a knock out match since 2006. A pretty terrible record in recent years.

We've only won two knockout matches in 90 minutes since Italia '90 (Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006). The win over Spain at Euro '96 was on penalties, after some somewhat favourable refereeing in our favour if memory serves.

That is some stat - and it's actually since Mexico 1986, as both our wins in 1990, v Belgium and Cameroon, came after extra time and we lost all three games at Euro 88.

I'd guess at that run continuing with a second round exit this year, but who knows...
It is an amazing stat. It's not all down to the Premier League then.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Optimistic stat alert....

2010 Guardiola won la liga with Barca and Spain won the World Cup.

2014 Guardiola won the Bundesliga with Bayern and Germany won the World Cup.

2018 Guardiola won the Prem League with Man City.......

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":2kx4gwj0 said:
To win the world cup assuming we get to the quarter finals, and we have to get past Colombia or Poland to do that, we will probably have to beat Brazil, Germany and Spain or France. Tall order. The semi finals would be a massive achievement.

What? We have to beat the best teams in the world to win the WC? Very unfair.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":1wa5fzdo said:
esmer":1wa5fzdo said:

What? We have to beat the best teams in the world to win the WC? Very unfair.
Unfortunately that is the case.