What Adams should do next | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What Adams should do next

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
djg145":ehhxoe2c said:
Nobby":ehhxoe2c said:
Army green":ehhxoe2c said:
How is he claiming to be the 2nd most successful manager we’ve ever had? Arrogant twit. He’s got us promotion out of league two, the 4th flipping division.

Because other than Sturrock, he is the most successful in terms of win % and he's only slightly below. Unless you count Frank Brettell in 1903.

Also, "the 4th flipping division". We've spent the majority of our history in the third division and not many managers have taken us much further.

So whilst it is an egotistical comment, statistically speaking at least, it is a fact.
Whatever happened to Tony Waiters, has he been removed from the history of Argyle?

Won 38.35% of his games. Adams has won 46.63%.

It's readily available information on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... ._managers

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":odj0nsjy said:
Nobby":odj0nsjy said:
And as I said above, he has the second highest win percentage of any post war manager. So it is a cold hard fact on that front.

You are not comparing eggs with eggs, the vast majority of Adam's wins came in the bottom league. So it's not a quite a cold hard fact.

He should be careful a few more games like this and he might get a special record.

I wonder how many Argyle managers in history have had a record of 1 win in 16 or however many (lost count). Any?

No we're not comparing eggs for eggs and realistically it's hard to compare Adams to anyone pre-Warnock I'd say, because the game has changed so much. Yes, it's also hard to compare him to Pulis, Holloway, etc, because different divisions.

Realistically, the closest comparison is Luggy. Sturrock won the bottom division in his second season (Adams missed it on goal difference). The season after that he narrowly missed the playoffs, same as Adams and then left on the brink of promotion the year after (the equivalent of this year for Adams). That is eerily similar, until this year. One is heralded as arguably our greatest ever manager, the other is lambasted, disrespected and beaten with a stick at every possible opportunity.

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":1jjk65ah said:
Balham_Green":1jjk65ah said:
Nobby":1jjk65ah said:
And as I said above, he has the second highest win percentage of any post war manager. So it is a cold hard fact on that front.

You are not comparing eggs with eggs, the vast majority of Adam's wins came in the bottom league. So it's not a quite a cold hard fact.

He should be careful a few more games like this and he might get a special record.

I wonder how many Argyle managers in history have had a record of 1 win in 16 or however many (lost count). Any?

No we're not comparing eggs for eggs and realistically it's hard to compare Adams to anyone pre-Warnock I'd say, because the game has changed so much. Yes, it's also hard to compare him to Pulis, Holloway, etc, because different divisions.

Realistically, the closest comparison is Luggy. Sturrock won the bottom division in his second season (Adams missed it on goal difference). The season after that he narrowly missed the playoffs, same as Adams and then left on the brink of promotion the year after (the equivalent of this year for Adams). That is eerily similar, until this year. One is heralded as arguably our greatest ever manager, the other is lambasted, disrespected and beaten with a stick at every possible opportunity.

Not similar at all because Sturrock took over a bottom half table team whilst Adams took over a team that just finished in the play offs. Forgot to mention that didnt you? And then Sturrock won the title again whilst we are now bottom. Spot the difference.

Apr 9, 2011
Stop being so bloody minded & arrogant & get his head out of his back side & admit his mistakes instead of having a go at us supporters who dare to criticise him whilst paying his wages

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":q8ta4asv said:
Nobby":q8ta4asv said:
Balham_Green":q8ta4asv said:
Nobby":q8ta4asv said:

Not similar at all because Sturrock took over a bottom half table team whilst Adams took over a team that just finished in the play offs. Forgot to mention that didnt you? And then Sturrock won the title again whilst we are now bottom. Spot the difference.

I said "Until this year", everyone is well aware where we are now.

As for what I "forgot to mention", when Adams got us promoted in his second season only two of the squad had played under John Sheridan. So it's entirely irrelevant where we were when took over because he completely overhauled the squad anyway.

Jan 6, 2004
This is a bizarre argument Nobby - this season is the problem and explains the difference between the managers' treatment.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Green_Flash":27gch06q said:
This is a bizarre argument Nobby - this season is the problem and explains the difference between the managers' treatment.

Even prior to this season, Adams would not have been viewed favourably against Sturrock despite the very similar records. Maybe it is his ego, or the way he communicates, but I get the impression a lot of people have struggled to warm to Adams during his time here despite the positive results for the large part.

Jan 6, 2004
I don't see that at all, Adams will never inspire the warmth that characters like Luggy did because he has a very different, more aloof personality. But essentially while managers do well they will get the fans support and when they do terribly the fans will wan them out. Was always thus and always will be - see for example Luggy's second spell.