We are favourites to win promotion | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We are favourites to win promotion

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
InterYerMam":3u7nhm73 said:
On SkyBet at 8/1 despite having half a squad and no manager.

The next favourites are Bradford at 9/1, followed by Mansfield and Scunthorpe at 10/1.

Is winning League 2 upon our return too lofty a goal or a realistic expectation?

Your ambition should always be to win the league you are in otherwise what's the point.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
widdeboy":1u3r5z8n said:
I read somewhere we were favourites to go down ! Lets get a manager and a squad before we lay out our hard earned !

Yeah, I read that on Exweb but I wouldn’t pay that any heed. Shame they’re missing their annual loss at Wembley this year.

Dec 3, 2005
Ridiculous to say we are favorites for promotion - yes in the ideal world!

BUT seeing as we do not have a Manager and we do not have a Squad of players, who the hell knows!

No one.

Feb 18, 2013
Plymouth
David_Fisher":3v1la2h8 said:
Your ambition should always be to win the league you are in otherwise what's the point.

I agree. Just thought it strange that SkyBet would place us so highly considering the fact we don't have a manager or a full squad yet.

Aug 4, 2011
How many times does it need to be said? The odds and list of favourites currently have no bearing on our squad (or lack of) or manager (or lack of).
They are a reflection of where the money is being placed, or where the bookies expect the money to be placed.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Knibbsworth":242w1jk8 said:
We have to be a good bet for promotion. A considerable club at fourth tier level. A 19 goal League One striker, players like Carey and Lameiras. 10,000+ crowds and managers like Ian Holloway begging to come and run the show.

All things you won't see at Newport, Stevenage or Forest Green Rovers.
It's likely that none of those you list will be at HP next season.

However, most of the defenders who shipped in 80-odd goals will be, as will be the midfielders who were constantly out-fought and overrun most weeks, showing no appetite for a battle and effectively downing tools for the last quarter of the season.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
I will settle for a place in the Play offs.

We may have a lot of new recruits to bed in. As I understand it the 'retained' list is not any thing other than derisory offers to fulfil statutory obligations. Who stays, that's up to the negotiations between players agents and the incoming manager.

We may well have a manager that does not know this league.

We critize other clubs for having a billy big time mentality, think we have a bit of that about ours selves when it comes to expectations.

Sep 3, 2011
The odds make no sense but it always happens in the lower leagues. The club have no manager and will surely lose their best players. Which should make them favourites for relegation. Notts County were third favourites 12 months ago. Let's wait and see until August when things have settled.

Oct 20, 2015
justanotherfan":2kxegu9e said:
Can`t wait to see our odds when we have a manager and a team. :twisted:

Exactly. Odds are very likely to lengthen after 5 games or so. You'd be mad to place a bet on this now.

May 22, 2006
Now we actually know the make up of the leagues, some of the better bookmakers have priced up the odds.

Argyle are generally second favs 8/1 or 9/1 to win the league; 2/1 to win promotion. Scunthorpe are favs.

With the uncertainty of a manager or squad, the current odds seem way too low. Given where we've been at Christmas the last two seasons, a better bet would seem to be 40/1 for relegation. Bottom at Christmas and cash out before the recovery begins?

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
ghost of hughie reed":1ll9iqr7 said:
We may have a lot of new recruits to bed in. As
I understand it the 'retained' list is not any thing other than derisory offers to fulfil statutory obligations. Who stays, that's up to the negotiations between players agents and the incoming manager.

We critize other clubs for having a billy big time mentality, think we have a bit of that about ours selves when it comes to expectations.
Can you please explain to me why we have to offer any form of contract (derisory or not ) to players out of contract ? I'm confused , what does 'fulfil statutory obligations ' mean? If there out of contract why make them an offer, unless you want to keep them??
It doesn't make any sense at all, hopefully someone can set me straight. :crazy:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mork":1q82pbey said:
ghost of hughie reed":1q82pbey said:
We may have a lot of new recruits to bed in. As
I understand it the 'retained' list is not any thing other than derisory offers to fulfil statutory obligations. Who stays, that's up to the negotiations between players agents and the incoming manager.

Can you please explain to me why we have to offer any form of contract (derisory or not ) to players out of contract ? I'm confused , what does 'fulfil statutory obligations ' mean? If there out of contract why make them an offer, unless you want to keep them??
It doesn't make any sense at all, hopefully someone can set me straight. :crazy:

Not an expert so a better answer might be along in a minute but .... I think that if you may want to keep them then you have to make them an offer. If you don't offer them anything then they are free to negotiate with other clubs.
So the 'derisory' offers are to keep them on Argyle's books whilst we wait for a new manager to come in. He can then decide who he wants to keep. (I think! :think: )

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
ghost of hughie reed":2cx12vvu said:

We may have a lot of new recruits to bed in. As I understand it the 'retained' list is not any thing other than derisory offers to fulfil statutory obligations. Who stays, that's up to the negotiations between players agents and the incoming manager.

Oh blimey, so there will be so much disappointment at HP come may. There is nothing worst than getting to the play-offs and falling flat even if a team gives a courageous effort.