Turning the ship around // Part 7: The creative void | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Turning the ship around // Part 7: The creative void

Sep 3, 2009
Enjoyed that. Some good data-driven insights. It provides credence to the view that if Songo'o is Argyle's stand-out player, then something is wrong overall. That is not to denigrate him as a footballer, but to be firing this team needs other members of the squad to be fit and firing.

If/when they are all fully fit, we have to see a return to a Fox/Ness/Sarcevic midfield.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
The Doctor":3gnkr6ga said:
Really interesting. The only thing I would say, nothing something about statistical analysis is that some of the sample sizes (number of games played etc) are rather small and so I suspect that many of the claimed differences between different figures are probably not statistically significant. However, the logic always seems pretty sound to me and the stats are used to illustrate points rather than to blindly prove them.

Basically, as many of us have been saying for weeks, Adams needs to adopt a more positive/proactive approach to games and pick as many of the same front six as he did in the good patch last season.
Very thought provoking indeed. I like Songo a lot – but the ‘argument’ he presents is quite convincing and as he says he’s not ‘dis’ing’ Songo (as the kids say :oops: ) as an individual but pointing out how the balance of the team shifts – and the analysis of Fox’s contribution articulates what I guess many of us instinctively feel about him. As you say the stats are a small-ish sample so should be treated with caution but not ignored. He hits the nail squarely on the head though by pointing out that most of the team that went on that astonishing run last season are still at the club (those twenty odd matches were league winning form). So there is room for optimism and we aren’t a basket case doomed for relegation as some are all too keen to say. We do need a fit Sarcevic (not a fat one!) and Taylor back for the jigsaw to properly reassemble though. For the anti-DA brigade there is plenty of ammunition too – and as he asks did DA stumble upon that line-up without really knowing why it worked? I personally give DA more credit – we don’t see what happens in training - but he does seem too prone to resort a defensive mindset when things aren’t working.

Jan 13, 2017
NickSS":95uuomim said:
Sorry for the external links but I just want to advertise a series of articles I am writing about Argyle's struggles this season for Argyle Life. They rely heavily on a lot of statistics that I produce myself and my observations on every match over the last two seasons, which I review in a lot of detail using iFollow.
Below are the first three, but four more will follow over the next two weeks​ (hopefully).
I'd be really interested to hear feedback from anyone on the ideas and statistics presented, though I do have one request of anyone who comments: please read them first instead of assuming the argument! Oh, and if anyone would like to request any stats please do ask.
One final thing, there is no agenda against any player. I'm of the opinion that all players have their own strengths and weaknesses, which makes them more (or less) suited to different systems, and the sum of 11 players' strengths and weaknesses in one system is the greatest individual factor (albeit the sum of many different factors itself) in ultimately determining a team's performance. So, when I criticise Songo'o in part two, it's not because I think he's a bad player but because I believe that overall his strengths and weaknesses are detrimental to the team's best system.
Part 1: The manager and the mentality
Part 2: The real problem area - midfield
Part 3: The Sarevic Factor
I doubt I'll ever post links on here again, only for this series, so anyone who might want to can obviously follow me on Twitter.
Happy reading.

Well what a fantastic read that was, very insightful. a lot of people wont agree with stats and the like but they cant be ignored as a guide and general overview.
however, many clubs and managers/coaches are guided and make their decisions based on these stats.....some dont!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
What amazes and intrigues me is how someone can compile these detailed statitistics whilst watching the club that they support.

Incredibly detailed information about, in effect, the 90+ minute performances of 11+ players.

TV can’t be watching all of the players all of the time.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
davie nine":1jjdv48c said:
What amazes and intrigues me is how someone can compile these detailed statitistics whilst watching the club that they support.

Incredibly detailed information about, in effect, the 90+ minute performances of 11+ players.

TV can’t be watching all of the players all of the time.

I’m assuming these stats are taken from somewhere official? There must be a source being used?

A

andyr1963

Thanks NickSS one of the best things I have read on this site in years.

As a absolute Twitter novice how do I go about reading future articles?
And how confident are you in the accuracy of the multitude of stats you provide?

Thanks again, great post. :scarf: :thumbs:

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. What would really benefit the 'Adams' piece would have been an interview (obviously difficult to achieve) , with the man himself, to understand his mind set. That could reinforce your argument because we don't really know his underlying reasons and philosophy.
Manoeuvre!! See me! ;)

Sep 30, 2018
A fit and firing Taylor is amongst our top two most important players, so without him we drop a level and rely on Carey. But Adams still can get us organised, so we've got a chance

Oct 19, 2013
Well played NickSS - a fascinating read. It does sort of feel right too but look forward to reading future stuff. It would also be really interesting to see some historic stuff from the last few seasons in terms of particularly how our current defenders match up against some other recent ones.

Also I don't think there is a contradiction between loving Songoo and seeing his limitations. The man couldn't try any harder but as a central midfielder this is just above his level.

Oct 19, 2013
I do also quite like the thought though that this is all utter rubbish, and you've just made up all the stats on the basis no one can prove you wrong in order to fit your own preconceived views. If so - well done - and btw Mellors Duel Success Ratio was 0.698, far better than most people gave him credit for

Apr 30, 2017
In my time suppourting Argyle, I haven't seen many with as little technical ability and nous as Yann Songo'o, but I have never seen a player as committed as dertermined as Yann. Love the bloke to bits, and yes he is painful to watch at times, he is one player who I don't think we can replace. Of course Fox is a far better player but I can't think of many who are better suited to our current plight.

Oct 31, 2015
From part 1 (parts 2 and 3 still to read :) )

These comments stick out for me and have been part of my arguments ney discussions with green tints and are the reasons for my frustrations with DA.

"Indeed, I believe that, for the most part, the issue lies not with the players, but with the manager – and his inability to get the best out of them."

And

"That is what really worries me. Last season, I privately suggested that Adams had mistakenly stumbled onto a near flawless formation through sheer chance, and that he didn’t fully understand why it was so successful. With each passing game this season, I begin to suspect more and more that it could be the case."

A good read and interpretation so far. As I say parts 2 and 3 to read.

Cheers

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
rsp4":3av41dmf said:
From part 1 (parts 2 and 3 still to read :) )

These comments stick out for me and have been part of my arguments ney discussions with green tints and are the reasons for my frustrations with DA.

"Indeed, I believe that, for the most part, the issue lies not with the players, but with the manager – and his inability to get the best out of them."

And

"That is what really worries me. Last season, I privately suggested that Adams had mistakenly stumbled onto a near flawless formation through sheer chance, and that he didn’t fully understand why it was so successful. With each passing game this season, I begin to suspect more and more that it could be the case."

A good read and interpretation so far. As I say parts 2 and 3 to read.

Cheers

That's exactly what I said at the time last year and it looks like DA has been found out this year IMHO. Ideal just after securing a nice new juicy 5 year contract as chief Honcho of everything

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Meanwhile, I'd just like to say thank you for the positive feedback. I've been planning to send out a few more specific responses to questions and comments but part 4 has taken so long to write that I just want to get it done first! As soon as I've completed that, I'll answer any questions that have been asked.