Turning the ship around // Part 7: The creative void | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Turning the ship around // Part 7: The creative void

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Still have part 7 to go, and possibly a conclusion piece after that, surveying what has changed since I started writing the series. These should both be completed in the next week.
In the meantime, I've been busy working on improvements to the site and reviving the old Green & White podcast, the first episode of which was recorded last night and published this morning. I feature on it, alongside Sam, Josh, Adam and Tom, all of whom have written or been involved with the site for a few years now.
The sound quality is much improved from the old podcast and we have a new quiz round to conclude that I think many will enjoy.
As per usual, I'd appreciate any feedback on what you enjoyed, what you didn't, and any different things you'd like to hear.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Got it. Sorry, that's my "spam" email address for Facebook etc to save the more professional one from being crowded. I'll get back to you from my other email in a bit. Cheers.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I read that as pretty optimistic :)

To score 9 goals in the last four games and still not have our two most creative players really come to the party, indicates that we may well have another gear to shift into... as you say.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":2rzlwj86 said:

To score 9 goals in the last four games and still not have our two most creative players really come to the party, indicates that we may well have another gear to shift into... as you say.

Unusually for an Adams team the attack is stronger than defence due to his poor recruitment in the Summer. He may have come to the conclusion that we HAVE to attack because we can't defend. I still fear a long season with thisdefence.

Oct 19, 2013
Really insightful and interesting as always.

Of all of your articles I think the one that surprised me most was the one on Riley, though I guess only seeing home games you only get half the story at best.

I think we are really lucky at Argyle to have so much in the way of additional content from GoS, matchday moments etc and this has been another excellent addition. Thanks.

Sep 30, 2018
It was a very good read, think we have found our system in 4-3-2-1/4-3-3, whereas as having grant means we play differently, so it's interesting

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
thatsdarts":3qpmegly said:
Really insightful and interesting as always.

Of all of your articles I think the one that surprised me most was the one on Riley, though I guess only seeing home games you only get half the story at best.

I think we are really lucky at Argyle to have so much in the way of additional content from GoS, matchday moments etc and this has been another excellent addition. Thanks.
I agree with Nick’s assessment of Joe Riley.
I hope that he’s not out injured for too much longer as I think that Tafari Moore is struggling at the moment although I think he may come good in the medium term.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Balham_Green":1gh18mw5 said:
Biggs":1gh18mw5 said:

Unusually for an Adams team the attack is stronger than defence due to his poor recruitment in the Summer. He may have come to the conclusion that we HAVE to attack because we can't defend. I still fear a long season with thisdefence.

Been busy working away at various projects, so it's time to catch up with some of these comments:

First off, it is quite positive. I can come off as overly negative sometimes because I'm trying to emphasise that just because a side is playing well it doesn't mean it can't play better. A good example would be after Argyle beat Wimbledon but lost to Swindon: there was a thread to the effect of Songo'o, Fox and O'Keefe were the best midfield trio, Ness, Sarcevic and C. Grant weren't good enough, which I knew was wrong for a number of reasons. Just because Argyle won, doesn't mean that automatically is the best line-up, or the right line-up to face every opponent. So I can sometimes go overboard trying to emphasise that.
At the moment, Argyle have got a good side, one that I think would finish somewhere between 10th-16th, with around 58-65 points if it was used across a whole season. However, there are a series of small improvements that can be made to push them up into the 5th-10th bracket (65-75 points).
We've arrived at the fine-tuning stage in terms of improving performances: small tweaks to increase performance consistency rather than major surgery to stop the rot.
But, don't get too carried away with the 9 goals in four games. The four against Scunthrope was an anomaly; 2-2 would have been the fairest result. Argyle were clinical with their finishing but Scunthorpe created more chances and better chances, which is what I look at when deciding which team performed the better. Across a season, performance levels are far more important than conversion rates.

I don't think that we have a poor defence, nor do I think that Adams recruited poorly (Apart from Wootton. I believe that he has to improve a lot in a short space of time to ensure he remains a Football League player in the next two seasons. Otherwise, he probably needs to play in a three-man defence to fully mask some of his deficiencies).
Like I argued in parts 4 & 5, the defence looked worse because the team was performing poorly, principally because the midfield was performing poorly. Since Adams shifted back towards (but not quite fully to) the style that worked last season, the defence has looked much more secure (save for 5-0 v Chelsea, which was just something else). There are improvements that can still be made to the defence and the midfield to further strengthen the team's defensive strength.