Torquay friendly 16th July - pre-season schedule | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay friendly 16th July - pre-season schedule

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
oldage":1mt6ab79 said:
So to recap.No manager but so far we have offered contracts to most of last season's underperforming players and arranged friendlies against non league sides and maybe a training camp in Holland.
In the meantime we are trying to sign a manager who doesn't seem to have his heart in it ,who is meant to be a Jack of all Trades and probably Master of None. :facepalm:
Does anybody at Argyle know what they are doing ?

Nailed it. Spot on. We are floundering. Rudderless Manager less and a hopeless case. Non-League beckons. I hope to be proved wrong but I don't hold out much hope. No more money from me until it is sorted and we become "Super Greens" again.

May 22, 2006
Pafcineurope":1mcwufmt said:
oldage":1mcwufmt said:
So to recap.No manager but so far we have offered contracts to most of last season's underperforming players and arranged friendlies against non league sides and maybe a training camp in Holland.
In the meantime we are trying to sign a manager who doesn't seem to have his heart in it ,who is meant to be a Jack of all Trades and probably Master of None. :facepalm:

Nailed it. Spot on. We are floundering. Rudderless Manager less and a hopeless case. Non-League beckons. I hope to be proved wrong but I don't hold out much hope. No more money from me until it is sorted and we become "Super Greens" again.

But you live in Belgium, so how much were you even planning to spend?

Have I slipped into some weird alternate dimension where it's not normal procedure for league clubs (even clubs much bigger than us) to play a few non-league sides in pre-season? What on earth are people complaining about?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
A long list of top clubs must be discounted for friendlies as they prioritise their die-hard support in SE Asia or wherever. It's also been rare in my time to see a Prem club of any pedigree so I don't see why expectations would be so high. I'd be more than happy with one game against a Championship club after the last few years of virtually nothing. I think the first team do need a test of sorts before the league kicks off.

May 8, 2011
rsp4":1fn0ige0 said:
yashin":1fn0ige0 said:
After seeing our pre season matches will we ever learn this type of opposition is useless.thought we would have learnt our lessons after the last two seasons :

Was just about to say the same and read your post.

FFS have we not learnt from the last 2 X seasons :banghead: :furious:

Looks like the last Friendly is against the mighty Tavistock.

Total shambles so far. Most of the carp squad from last season kept and or offered new contracts, now this.

I can't even blame DA antmore :facepalm:

Just as our location appears to be a factor in getting a manager our location is also a factor in who we can play in pre-season. How many teams are there within 2 hour travel from Plymouth?

And the retained list wasn’t the one Derek Adams drew up before he left, he was as surprised by it as were many others.

Jul 12, 2016
Some strange decisions are being made without a Manager at the helm. Imagine telling the successful candidate that we have already selected players for him and arranged most of the pre season games including a trip to Holland.Hope you don't mind!

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
To be fair I think the pre-season, much like the kit, had to be sorted well in advance of the close season.

Sep 13, 2003
And the retained list wasn’t the one Derek Adams drew up before he left, he was as surprised by it as were many others.

So, which of the 8 senior pros offered new deals would DA have released?? I know you have some inside info Clive but I cannot see him releasing Carey, Lameiras, Fox, Songoo, Sawyer, Edwards Grant or Letheran. He more or less told Senior Greens he was offering Grant a contract. And who else could have possibly sorted the retained list? We know DA had prepared one. It must have been his work surely? Surprised this wasn't asked at PASLAB.

May 16, 2016
Green_Matt":1mw1nk4n said:
A long list of top clubs must be discounted for friendlies as they prioritise their die-hard support in SE Asia or wherever. It's also been rare in my time to see a Prem club of any pedigree so I don't see why expectations would be so high. I'd be more than happy with one game against a Championship club after the last few years of virtually nothing. I think the first team do need a test of sorts before the league kicks off.

Agree. The Team definitely need a sterner pre season
test, but not at the expense of some must see checklist showbiz 11 that I get the impression is more important to some than any actual benefit to the Players and Management.

It comes across as a Football ego problem for some, whereby some sort of status is bestowed upon us by being recognised and graced by the presence of someone recently seen on Match of the Day running around HP.

Or is it just a selfie thing ?

Aug 10, 2006
oldage":35zfk9up said:
no.

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
Ham Green":1aaesdtl said:
Pafcineurope":1aaesdtl said:
oldage":1aaesdtl said:

But you live in Belgium, so how much were you even planning to spend?

Have I slipped into some weird alternate dimension where it's not normal procedure for league clubs (even clubs much bigger than us) to play a few non-league sides in pre-season? What on earth are people complaining about?
Ham Green you have no idea how much I spend on PAFC. It is easy enough to cross the channel to meet people like you. However I don't think I'll do it too often in the future.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
The point of pre season isn’t just to play a lot of top quality sides and get battered. It’s about fitness and giving players the opportunity to build relationships/pairings with each other. If we go out and play a load of top sides we don’t get that chance.

Those are four perfectly good local fixtures to flesh out the wider schedule. Torquay and Truro are decent non league opposition, Parkway is good for fitness, and the game against Tavistock right before the season starts will most likely not be the first XI.

Two games in Holland of a decent standard and two games at Home Park where we’ll play higher opposition and that all sounds like a fairly decent preseason schedule to me.

Sep 6, 2006
kimbo":3sfirwum said:

So, which of the 8 senior pros offered new deals would DA have released?? I know you have some inside info Clive but I cannot see him releasing Carey, Lameiras, Fox, Songoo, Sawyer, Edwards Grant or Letheran. He more or less told Senior Greens he was offering Grant a contract. And who else could have possibly sorted the retained list? We know DA had prepared one. It must have been his work surely? Surprised this wasn't asked at PASLAB.

It was actually but cant remember the answer :facepalm:

Jul 12, 2016
Unless we get a couple of friendlies with league clubs the pre season would be similar to last season and we all know how that went!

May 16, 2016
oldage":co96ybh7 said:
Unless we get a couple of friendlies with league clubs the pre season would be similar to last season and we all know how that went!

Yeovil probably thought they were in for a stormer of a Season after playing us and we all know how that went !

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i feel we should cancel this nonsense trip to holland.fix up a few friendlies with some championship clubs,cardiff for example and save the cost of this useless trip for the transfer kitty