Tonight’s Games | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Tonight’s Games

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Never said the form table was a big picture. Short term it shows you where you're at and where you're going, and reasons to be optimistic or otherwise.

If you're top of the form table and bottom of the league table, you can be pretty confident you'll get out of it. If you're mid-table and bottom of the form table, you should be very worried indeed. Which is where we found ourself in the last few weeks, which is why I posted a very worried message about being 18th in the form table not long ago.

I don't think anyone saw us drop off a cliff quite like this. It's so, so, so maddeningly upsetting and frustrating.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Wimbledon and Accrington showed some fight and didn't let the opposition scoring affect the job of getting a point or three.
Whereas, our lot fall apart once the opposition (Bristol Rovers, Blackpool, Gillingham and Barnsley) score their first goal.

Under Adams the team has a track record of bottling big games - Wembley, the Wycombe play-off games and Grimsby spring to mind - so there's a pattern of lack of fight and bottle and lack of leaders when it really matters.

Songo'o really has to be the first name on the team sheet for the last two games.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Biggs":27ghxw9v said:
Never said the form table was a big picture. Short term it shows you where you're at and where you're going, and reasons to be optimistic or otherwise.

If you're top of the form table and bottom of the league table, you can be pretty confident you'll get out of it. If you're mid-table and bottom of the form table, you should be very worried indeed. Which is where we found ourself in the last few weeks, which is why I posted a very worried message about being 18th in the form table not long ago.

I don't think anyone saw us drop off a cliff quite like this. It's so, so, so maddeningly upsetting and frustrating.

Other people saw that jump in form for what it was - a blip in an otherwise terrible season - and got shouted down for being knee-jerking doom mongers. You seem confused that we've found ourselves where we are, when to anyone applying more critical thinking to our situation could see that our problems hadn't gone away.

Maybe your judgement just isn't very good?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
My judgment is awful. Which is why I try and only look at facts to base opinions on, rather than naked eye judgments and emotion. And yes, this season those facts indicate we're probably going down and that the manager has had a very poor season.

We finished 5th, 2nd and 7th previously so this season is clearly something different and much worse than anyone was expecting. We also arrested bad runs in those seasons, so it was completely reasonable to hope that we would do the same in this one when that form picked up.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that we're all Argyle fans and all completely gutted at the moment, and none of us really need any 'I told you sos' to make it even worse.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Biggs":1go2a2q8 said:
My judgment is awful. Which is why I try and only look at facts to base opinions on, rather than naked eye judgments and emotion. And yes, this season those facts indicate we're probably going down and that the manager has had a very poor season.

We finished 5th, 2nd and 7th previously so this season is clearly something different and much worse than anyone was expecting. We also arrested bad runs in those seasons, so it was completely reasonable to hope that we would do the same in this one when that form picked up.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that we're all Argyle fans and all completely gutted at the moment, and none of us really need any 'I told you sos' to make it even worse.

You say that but there were plenty of 'I told you sos' during the brief purple patch ('humble pie' anyone?). Seemed to be OK then but apparently, after being rounded on numerous times and told to basically shut up and go away, the Adams critics now just sit in silence yeah?

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Biggs":1m9m2u8r said:

Sorry, but you based your opinion on selected facts - the form table, something which is only ever an indicator of a small window of time and not the bigger picture - and ignored the woeful first half of the season.

Our arrested bad runs in previous seasons had reasons behind the upturn in form - Taylor getting fit, Toumani coming in, etc etc. This year we had the same XI that couldn't buy a win in the first half of the season - of course it was only ever going to be temporary. We signed players in January and none of them could get on the pitch.

Facts and good judgement are not the same thing I'm afraid. I don't wish to sound aggressive and apologise if I do - the representatives of the Adams-first brigade (not that I'm saying you're in it) have strangely gone missing and you're somewhat in the firing line for having your head above the parapet back then and now.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
up_the_line":1jma0t7d said:
You say that but there were plenty of 'I told you sos' during the brief purple patch ('humble pie' anyone?). Seemed to be OK then but apparently, after being rounded on numerous times and told to basically shut up and go away, the Adams critics now just sit in silence yeah?

I didn't take any part in that, but there's a big difference between 1) taking joy in doing well and taking the mick out of critics, and 2) piling the misery onto more positive supporters when OUR club is in the brown stuff.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Biggs":3cao60sa said:
up_the_line":3cao60sa said:

I didn't take any part in that, but there's a big difference between 1) taking joy in doing well and taking the mick out of critics, and 2) piling the misery onto more positive supporters when OUR club is in the brown stuff.

To be fair at least you are still here trying to provide evidence for your support of Adams (albeit with temporary 1 month form tables that completely ignore the 6 preceding months), whilst many of the other more vociferous Adams cult have gone strangely absent - strange as I was accused of going missing during good spells.

Nice to know that taking the mickey out of Adams critics is OK by you - especially when it included insinuations of onanism -

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2o8495rz said:
Wimbledon and Accrington showed some fight and didn't let the opposition scoring affect the job of getting a point or three.
Whereas, our lot fall apart once the opposition (Bristol Rovers, Blackpool, Gillingham and Barnsley) score their first goal.

Under Adams the team has a track record of bottling big games - Wembley, the Wycombe play-off games and Grimsby spring to mind - so there's a pattern of lack of fight and bottle and lack of leaders when it really matters.

Songo'o really has to be the first name on the team sheet for the last two games.

Whilst I agree with (almost) all of that, Sheridan was in charge for the Wycombe debacle which precipitated his demise.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
PL2 3DQ":vxtju57z said:

Agreed with the exception of the Wycombe playoff games. Sheridan oversaw that debacle.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
up_the_line":zzszrshv said:
Nice to know that taking the mickey out of Adams critics is OK by you - especially when it included insinuations of onanism -

I don't mean it like that. Just that good-natured mickey-taking when our club is doing well and everyone's happy, is completely different to 'I told you sos' and piling on the misery when we're in the 5hit.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There is one poster who I have resolved not to respond to because of his obnoxious, poisonous and personal attacks on our manager. Perhaps, someone could ask him whether or not it was true that he went missing for 3 months when we had a purple patch last season and he could find nothing to complain about.