Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 296 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I still can‘t quite believe that the players were banned from tweeting to fans, as they surely were under Foster given the tweets re-appearing last night. It’s fair to assume many of the other bizarre old fashioned disciplinary rumours were accurate too.

What an absolutely surreal period for the club.
To be honest, I can.

Not necessarily based on Foster here but when he was in the England set up, all meet ups and games were designed around tournaments and as such taking away distractions for a short period of time is probably a good thing but not in a league situation.
Also being too defence minded is akin to wanting to stay in the cup comps longer.

All in all, it was a bad fit and seemingly he mislead those that gave him the opportunity and even mislead Whittaker when he sat down with him and his partner in January.

Teams play better with a smile on their faces and his methods certainly curtailed any fun for the team.

May 16, 2016
To be honest, I can.

Not necessarily based on Foster here but when he was in the England set up, all meet ups and games were designed around tournaments and as such taking away distractions for a short period of time is probably a good thing but not in a league situation.
Also being too defence minded is akin to wanting to stay in the cup comps longer.

All in all, it was a bad fit and seemingly he mislead those that gave him the opportunity and even mislead Whittaker when he sat down with him and his partner in January.

Teams play better with a smile on their faces and his methods certainly curtailed any fun for the team.
He is definitely a tournament manager, used to limited time with his players, obviously youngsters where discipline was needed both on and off the pitch for the finite amount of time they were together, not in a club environment but a 'false' environment for the duration of whatever the tournament.

Club football with the extended relationships and much more in the day to day shared lives, associated problems and personal relationships was obviously not suited to his personality.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Sorry if I've missed this on previous posts,but did foster actually apply for the job or was he 'headhunted' ?

Nothing I believe has been said if he applied or not but I suspect he did seeing that he had 1 or 2 interviews before us

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I've come to the conclusion he was trying to fix some problems that didn't exist.

Amen. Was always my view to be honest.

Right now he may be hurting but one day I think he’ll look back on this and see his mistakes. Having got the break he wanted, he’ll wonder what might have been.

Oct 31, 2022
Ian was dealt a bad hand, but he made several critical mistakes.

I'm not sure that necessarily points to the process being flawed.

For argument sake, let's say we appoint a carbon copy of Schumacher because we love his style of football and how he engages with the fans. Once he's through the door, he winds all the fans up and plays long-ball 4-4-2.

Does that point towards the process being wrong? I'm not sure it does. And I really don't think there's anything you can do to stop that.

Everybody lies in interviews. I suppose the only thing you can rely on is a relatable body of work prior to accepting the candidate.

Jun 27, 2019
I've come to the conclusion he was trying to fix some problems that didn't exist.
I reckon he had a vision in his head for years about what he would do when he finally got a club job. He was probably so excited about it that he tried to put it into practice all at once, rather than make one or two tweaks and then apply the bulk of his vision in the summer.

It'll be a major lesson learned, probably at the cost of his managerial career because no-one in English club football will touch him now.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Had our fingers well & truly burnt
What doesn't break you - makes you stronger
We will learn through this episode & come out the other side stronger
He will probably return to the FA with no fanfare

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
I started a post fairly early on in his tenure about him giving too much teams respect and how I didn't warm to him, even after 1 or 2 decent away wins.

Glad he's gone, and hopefully the club will learn a lot from his appointment and the process leading to it.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
We don't know what is in the contract maybe it could have been if he was sacked before a certain number of days or games then a larger release package is required and hence the reason why it took so long
Managers don't get paid up in full a former manager who used to coachbmyblad told me this he said most contracts he had involved a 6 month pay off but there of course could be other clauses
I don't understand the 3 1/2 year contract for someone so unproven

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Ian was dealt a bad hand, but he made several critical mistakes.

I'm not sure that necessarily points to the process being flawed.

For argument sake, let's say we appoint a carbon copy of Schumacher because we love his style of football and how he engages with the fans. Once he's through the door, he winds all the fans up and plays long-ball 4-4-2.

Does that point towards the process being wrong? I'm not sure it does. And I really don't think there's anything you can do to stop that.

Everybody lies in interviews. I suppose the only thing you can rely on is a relatable body of work prior to accepting the candidate.
There's a fair distance between embellishing and lying. It's one thing to present the optimal version of yourself at an interview, it's quite another saying things that simply aren't true.

I'd be really surprised if he told them outright falsehoods to get the job.

The important thing is to make every effort to avoid this situation reoccuring. As the famous Argyle fan* Thomas Jefferson once said in 1834, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

*I don't think this is remotely true

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I reckon he had a vision in his head for years about what he would do when he finally got a club job. He was probably so excited about it that he tried to put it into practice all at once, rather than make one or two tweaks and then apply the bulk of his vision in the summer.

Yep, this is how I see it, which must mean that he at least somewhat misled the club during the recruitment process, because there’s surely no way that we would have gone for him if we knew that he intended to change so much?