This in an Absolute Disgrace | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This in an Absolute Disgrace

C

commander_funk

Womble":2l05hcfj said:
I will admit that my orignal comment was rather juvenile, and I would have liked to have phrased it better, but I was upset at the arrogance of some supports who believe themselves to be superior to the rest.

I'm sure I didn't suggest in my original post I was superior, and I apologise if I came across as arrogant; what I did try to do was present and defend an alternative point of view and plead for a little patience. Some of the comments on this site against Fletcher and individual players have been OTT, and I won't apologise for speaking out against that because I don't believe anyone doing an honest job in any walk of life deserves it. I DID call for Williamson's head, BTW, I'm by no means an apologist for poor performances and I agree if we're in this position come Christmas I would neither be surprised nor would I complain if Fletch goes.

Although I'm not a big Fletcher fan and certainly am not convinced as yet he's ever going to be a top manager, I am a big fan of moderation, I do believe there have been some green shoots and mitigating circumstances which justify giving Fletcher a few more games to turn it around, and furthermore will not be swayed from my opinion that some of the opinions expressed on this site behind a comfy blanket of anonymity are nothing short of playground standard insults and borderline slander. We all have disappointments in life but most adults are able to deal with them without public displays of vitriol.

Feel free to disagree in an objective manner with the points I've raised, some of what's been written has made me think, and that's what it should be all about rather than a snide dismissal of somebody elses opinion because you think your point of view is somehow more valid than theirs. This is how your original comment came across and is probably what has rubbed some people up the wrong way.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
commander_funk":30d8zo4p said:
Womble":30d8zo4p said:
I will admit that my orignal comment was rather juvenile, and I would have liked to have phrased it better, but I was upset at the arrogance of some supports who believe themselves to be superior to the rest.

I'm sure I didn't suggest in my original post I was superior, and I apologise if I came across as arrogant; what I did try to do was present and defend an alternative point of view and plead for a little patience. Some of the comments on this site against Fletcher and individual players have been OTT, and I won't apologise for speaking out against that because I don't believe anyone doing an honest job in any walk of life deserves it. I DID call for Williamson's head, BTW, I'm by no means an apologist for poor performances and I agree if we're in this position come Christmas I would neither be surprised nor would I complain if Fletch goes.

Although I'm not a big Fletcher fan and certainly am not convinced as yet he's ever going to be a top manager, I am a big fan of moderation, I do believe there have been some green shoots and mitigating circumstances which justify giving Fletcher a few more games to turn it around, and furthermore will not be swayed from my opinion that some of the opinions expressed on this site behind a comfy blanket of anonymity are nothing short of playground standard insults and borderline slander. We all have disappointments in life but most adults are able to deal with them without public displays of vitriol.

Feel free to disagree in an objective manner with the points I've raised, some of what's been written has made me think, and that's what it should be all about rather than a snide dismissal of somebody elses opinion because you think your point of view is somehow more valid than theirs. This is how your original comment came across and is probably what has rubbed some people up the wrong way.

Funk

I admitted above that my original comment was rather juvenile, so obviously apologies for any offence. it was a rather clumsy post. We are both annoyed at each other for the exact same thing, so could probably both have written our comment much better.

I dont think my point of view is more valid than others; it is that exact attitude that riles me most. I dont agree with your logic, but lets just agree to disagree.

Peace out

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Womble":3resjw62 said:
commander_funk":3resjw62 said:
Womble":3resjw62 said:

Funk

I admitted above that my original comment was rather juvenile, so obviously apologies for any offence. it was a rather clumsy post. We are both annoyed at each other for the exact same thing, so could probably both have written our comment much better.

I dont think my point of view is more valid than others; it is that exact attitude that riles me most. I dont agree with your logic, but lets just agree to disagree.

Peace out

Get a room you two! ;)

May 1, 2011
commander_funk":1i4cz2q2 said:
Womble":1i4cz2q2 said:

When you accept it is over for Fletcher?? Has today finally ensure the penny has dropped?? Or are you still revelling in the role of Norman Lamont and seeing the 'green shoots.??' Are you able to confirm you are singing Fletcher's name in the bath too? Also this is my 26th year of going to Home Park so don't even start that nonsense.

W

Wilfredo

commander_funk":2ex1bsnz said:
I've only skimmed through a couple of threads tonight, but they have reminded me why I don't come on PASOTI when we've lost a few games. All responsible for it should be ashamed the crushing negativity, frankly it's a big chunk of the reason why Plymouth never gets what it deserves.

1) Look at who we've played the last 4/5 games. All top 6 sides or near enough, mostly away. when you're doing your pools coupons how many would you honestly expect us to win? The fixture list hasn't been kind to CF after the Dorchester debacle. The next 4/5 games are much more winnable, we should see a difference.
2) This is a young team, the commentators picked up on it at Dorchester, their team actually had more league experience than ours!. They will be inconsistant, that's the problem with young/inexperienced players. The slating of Rhys Griffiths is ludicrous as are the expectations pinned on him. Live in the real world.
3) Were people really expecting a play-off push? I mean really? Anybody? Mid table was always the goal, and all teams have bad runs, it's not like we're being stuffed every week.

arse
4) Stop picking on players! Remember how Durrell Berry has improved beyond recognition. If we'd spent money on proven players I'd understand it but getting on peoples' back surely solves nothing. It's insanity.
5) League table, 3 years (and a lot of money spent) into Sir Alex Ferguson's reign: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1989-1990/table/1989-12-30.

Be patient. You can't build a team overnight with no money, it takes time. Circumstances intervene sometimes. Plus we have nothing like the resources Luggy or Warnock for example had.

And with that, I'm going to find something less soul destroying to do.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
commander_funk":qmspzgvc said:
I've only skimmed through a couple of threads tonight, but they have reminded me why I don't come on PASOTI when we've lost a few games. All responsible for it should be ashamed the crushing negativity, frankly it's a big chunk of the reason why Plymouth never gets what it deserves.

1) Look at who we've played the last 4/5 games. All top 6 sides or near enough, mostly away. when you're doing your pools coupons how many would you honestly expect us to win? The fixture list hasn't been kind to CF after the Dorchester debacle. The next 4/5 games are much more winnable, we should see a difference.
2) This is a young team, the commentators picked up on it at Dorchester, their team actually had more league experience than ours!. They will be inconsistant, that's the problem with young/inexperienced players. The slating of Rhys Griffiths is ludicrous as are the expectations pinned on him. Live in the real world.
3) Were people really expecting a play-off push? I mean really? Anybody? Mid table was always the goal, and all teams have bad runs, it's not like we're being stuffed every week.
4) Stop picking on players! Remember how Durrell Berry has improved beyond recognition. If we'd spent money on proven players I'd understand it but getting on peoples' back surely solves nothing. It's insanity.
5) League table, 3 years (and a lot of money spent) into Sir Alex Ferguson's reign: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1989-1990/table/1989-12-30.

Be patient. You can't build a team overnight with no money, it takes time. Circumstances intervene sometimes. Plus we have nothing like the resources Luggy or Warnock for example had.

And yet Fletch believes we dominated these sides, like all season, and have been unlucky.

So which is it?

Other budgets are bigger?
Opposition too good at the moment (top 6)? (not inc. Dorchester, that was bad luck)
Lacking 'that little bit of luck'?
Young side that needs time to develop?
Too many injuries?

Can I offer some more alternatives for Fletch.

'We would have won, except I left my best striker on the bench for the seventh game running'.
'We would have won, except I decided to play 4-5-1 with an unconfident striker in the worst form of his career upfront.'
'We would have won, only I wanted the lads to realise how lucky they are to have two legs to walk on, rather than focus on having two feet to pass and shoot with.'
'We would have won, only I dropped a decent centre mid for an unknown entity my mate said was good, after spending 4 games getting him match fit.'
'We would have won only the defence is a little weak since I sent our best left back for several seasons home for a reason I can't remember'

You could go on all day.

The side has zero confidence, no winning instinct, just rolling over and getting beaten week in week out. Home form probably the worst in the UK right now. Substitutes and tactics ineffective, outthought in every match. Only the most blinkered supporter must think Fletcher is the answer to this problem.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
commander_funk":1s30l6wo said:

what is our current league position?