The Herald getting worse! | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Herald getting worse!

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I still enjoy reading the Herald online but i wish they would have more news of other sports in the Plymouth area, there is no news on the Raiders or Albion etc. and a lot of the stories on Argyle are repeated 2 or 3 times, and looking at there twitter feed they seem to more interested in other teams news like HUGE breaking #TransferNews from #BristolCity or Big transfer news in the #EPL as #Southampton finally land a striker etc. who cares what Bristol or Southampton are doing. this is suppose to be a Plymouth paper.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
Most of the online content is governed by Trinity newspapers, as I get the same for Cambridge news website.
Today they ran a story about a woman in Bristol shopping for yellow stickered food.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It’s not a locally sourced/driven paper anymore. It’s all advertising and click bait nonsounce.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
A couple lines from Danis Salman's piece on Ryan Edwards...

"it reminds us that we are all fallible "

"None of us are fallible"

WHO EDITS THIS poo???

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
ping_g5":1hmh2yey said:
A couple lines from Danis Salman's piece on Ryan Edwards...

"it reminds us that we are all fallible "

"None of us are fallible"

WHO EDITS THIS poo???

Agreed---and the use of the word fallible in the context of Ryan's medical issues is wrong anyway. Fallible means 'capable of making mistakes'. He didn't make a mistake he got testicular cancer.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Tough times at the Herald with a move closer to digital only. You can understand the clickbait articles if they help to save jobs although eventually it has a negative effect on the reader.

49 jobs to go at Trinity

Dec 26, 2010
I like Chris Errington's reports. His summarising on BBC match commentaries I generally find interesting and insightful.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":1wrmz3v7 said:
Tough times at the Herald with a move closer to digital only. You can understand the clickbait articles if they help to save jobs although eventually it has a negative effect on the reader.

49 jobs to go at Trinity

So the names of the papers are set to be phased out online, with Herald/Chronicle/Post etc all being replaced by 'Live'. That seems... depressing.

This is a subject for somewhere else entirely, but it's clear we've completely ball$ed up the internet in many ways (though clearly sites like this one are the exception). From the effects of social media to free - and fake - news putting proper journalists out of business, it needs a massive rethink.

No-one is better off without a quality local source of news and investigative journalism.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Biggs":2e4xpukt said:
PL2 3DQ":2e4xpukt said:

49 jobs to go at Trinity

So the names of the papers are set to be phased out online, with Herald/Chronicle/Post etc all being replaced by 'Live'. That seems... depressing.

This is a subject for somewhere else entirely, but it's clear we've completely ball$ed up the internet in many ways (though clearly sites like this one are the exception). From the effects of social media to free - and fake - news putting proper journalists out of business, it needs a massive rethink.

No-one is better off without a quality local source of news and investigative journalism.
Something the Herald never was, imho.

Jul 12, 2004
This issue is nationwide. For years I wrote the weekly press report on the Guildford Table Tennis League and the local paper had two sports editors and a fair amount of space in the weekly paper, the Surrey Advertiser.

In the last couple of years both those editors have gone and the coverage, in terms of space, is mediocre at best. That paper is with Trinity as is the local news group who do cover my articles for the Aldershot League. Sadly the quality of spelling from the staff reporters is a bit wayward on occasions.

Aug 2, 2011
From a personal point of view the digital version is unreadable on an ipad. Endless advertising and continual "there was a problem opening this page so it is being reloaded" message.

Not surprised at the eventual demise of a hard copy edition which is inevitable. Yes sorry that there will be job losses but strangely in an age of more and more jobs being lost to technology
employment is at its highest level since the 1970s.

Given the standard of reporting accuracy not just relative to Argyle I for one will not and do not miss it.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Bonzo":3nlvvmfj said:
This issue is nationwide. For years I wrote the weekly press report on the Guildford Table Tennis League and the local paper had two sports editors and a fair amount of space in the weekly paper, the Surrey Advertiser.

In the last couple of years both those editors have gone and the coverage, in terms of space, is mediocre at best. That paper is with Trinity as is the local news group who do cover my articles for the Aldershot League. Sadly the quality of spelling from the staff reporters is a bit wayward on occasions.

Used to be a good rag the Surrey Ad when I lived in the area. Same in Scarborough. Now just a weekly, used to be daily, and it's awful. Times are a changing and not always for the best.

Feb 28, 2016
Is the hard copy in decline though? Seems they are just separating the paper and online teams and moving away from dual branding. For reasons mentioned above, I personally know more people my age who “read” the hard copy, which is I concede that is different to buying the hard copy, it gets passed around the household/work than the online version.

The Herald is the newspaper of record for the city and I will go out on a limb and say I think it will be around for a long time yet, that may not be with a national parent newspaper group/mogul owning it but I can see a local businessman buying it like what happened with the Sunday Independent. We will miss it when it’s gone and it will be revived.

We cancelled our subscription but found we were still buying it most days and often multiple copies in the household not knowing someone else had brought it (ironically helping them more by not having it delivered daily.)so we resubscribed.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
MarkMatthews":1rjizv8y said:
Is the hard copy in decline though? Seems they are just separating the paper and online teams and moving away from dual branding. For reasons mentioned above, I personally know more people my age who “read” the hard copy, which is I concede that is different to buying the hard copy, it gets passed around the household/work than the online version.

The Herald is the newspaper of record for the city and I will go out on a limb and say I think it will be around for a long time yet, that may not be with a national parent newspaper group/mogul owning it but I can see a local businessman buying it like what happened with the Sunday Independent. We will miss it when it’s gone and it will be revived.

We cancelled our subscription but found we were still buying it most days and often multiple copies in the household not knowing someone else had brought it (ironically helping them more by not having it delivered daily.)so we resubscribed.

The print copy has dropped from a daily circulation of nearly 21,000 in 2015 to just under 15,000 in 2017. Other local papers have worse daily circulation figures.

Aug 15, 2015
Can somebody think of a website more frustrating than this? Has anyone come across a website worse than plymouthherald.co.uk?

:?