The Herald getting worse! | Page 18 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Herald getting worse!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Metro site is probably worse, not so much the advertising blitzkrieg, merely that there’s rarely a hope of finding electronically what one might have read in print.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Shoenice":1o7tmm6k said:
Can somebody think of a website more frustrating than this? Has anyone come across a website worse than plymouthherald.co.uk?

:?
Yeah. A fair few other 'local' paper sites. Sunderland Echo being one of the worst I've experienced.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Argy1e":1u0lwnmj said:
Shoenice":1u0lwnmj said:
Can somebody think of a website more frustrating than this? Has anyone come across a website worse than plymouthherald.co.uk?

:?
Yeah. A fair few other 'local' paper sites. Sunderland Echo being one of the worst I've experienced.

Yep, all local paper sites are the same or worse. And increasingly more 'normal' websites as the race for advertising cash continues. If you go abroad and access the BBC with ads, even that isn't particularly good.

Like I said above, we've had the Wild West of the internet where everything was free and no-one expected to pay for anything. That's decimated the physical newspaper industry and led to click-bait and ad-covered sites as people desperately try to actually make some money now that readers are online-only and not just checking the internet in addition to their physical copy.

You pay 50-odd pence if you buy a physical Herald, you pay nothing if you view the same content online... that's the core problem and the reason for all the ads.

Jan 27, 2012
The Herald is an excellent Plymouth institution and the community should support it. I buy the print edition.

Maybe they should change their business model and stop free access via their website. Instead have a paid online subscription service ?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
gaspargomez":1tmvyxaw said:
The Herald is an excellent Plymouth institution and the community should support it. I buy the print edition.

Maybe they should change their business model and stop free access via their website. Instead have a paid online subscription service ?

I reckon the online advertising fees they get from free online viewing generates more income then a subscription fee would if they were stop free access.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Tugboat":32ko1dp7 said:
gaspargomez":32ko1dp7 said:

I reckon the online advertising fees they get from free online viewing generates more income then a subscription fee would if they were stop free access.

But the discontentment at being misled by clickbait, and being unable to navigate a site, will lead to less views and less income in the long term.

They haven’t got much option though, have they? They’d be risking so many jobs if they gambled on a paywall and the subscription fees didn’t roll in.

Apr 5, 2008
Every time I try read article on Argyle it says I have to take a survey ? First.What is this crud.A waste of like the herald is now

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
moles40":c4lxdy57 said:
Every time I try read article on Argyle it says I have to take a survey ? First.What is this crud.A waste of like the herald is now

But if you've read this thread and have any idea of the state that conventional print and online newspapers are in, you know why that is surely.

You're getting something for free that you were previously paying 50p a day for. How do you expect the Herald (and it's not even the Herald calling the shots, it's the parent company Trinity Mirror) to make money and pay its staff, rent and running costs?

It's heavy advertising and surveys or a subscription service... personally I'd prefer either of these if it meant stopping the click-bait articles.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Herald App is very good. No adverts and very easy to use.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
pedro91":18k8sea2 said:
I believe they did an article on Plymouth Parkway and included a picture of Glyn Hobbs wearing a Tavistock shirt!!!!!!

At least 30 people will know that's wrong.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
On page 47 the headline states 'Adams admits Pilgrims were second-best to the Latics' - which is the nick-name of Oldham and Wigan. Jak Ball's article on P. 46 has the correct 'Addicks'.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
pedro91":2ukcjcs8 said:
I believe they did an article on Plymouth Parkway and included a picture of Glyn Hobbs wearing a Tavistock shirt!!!!!!
The picture may have been out of date but they might not have had a more recent one available.