The future of Mr Fletcher | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The future of Mr Fletcher

Mar 2, 2008
Abbotts Ann Green":2gpf2p4y said:
How many times do we have to say this, Walton is not on a big contract and is not out of contract either as he has another year.

Some would argue whether he's worth keeping on, even on a smaller salary.

Sep 28, 2011
I think everyone needs a reality check tbh. On this thread and the many others popping up!,we are not safe yet!!!! Love it if we were but we're not.
And if anyone's confident in a point at Swindon then I admire your optimism

Jan 16, 2012
In all fairness, my opinion is that fletcher should be made assitant manager next season, and Larrieu as goalkeeping coach/player. Fletcher has been brilliant, but under the circumstances that we really should be pushing for playoffs next season, this hard to beat side wont be able to at least be a top table side, unless more goals can be scored. Someone however who has been in a promotion push before wouldnt be too bad. Andy scott could work, or maybe someone like lee clarke. For me its not about expirence, but if they have been in this situation before: trying to win promotion.

Have heard that there will be a massive overhaul of the club by Brent in the Summer regardless of what division we'll be in. However Fletcher has turned the team around and will make it difficult to stand him down in favour of a more experienced manager. If we continue our form and avoid relegation by 10-15 points albe it at a lower level Fletcher will have done a better job than the last few 'experienced' managers.
Deserves a chance to see what he can do at a trouble free club with a bit of a budget.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Tend to agree with Manchester Green and Pilgrim Pong on this.

Peter Reid has a very strong managerial record, and in the 90's was a highly respected Prem manager, for what he did at Man C and Sunderland. He never had a chance at Argyle.

Fletcher deserves a 2 year deal. It's win win for Argyle as I'm sure given the spine of the team we have, we will be competing in the top 6-10 of the league next season at the very least. If he get poached, then we get compo and scope to bring in a good replacement.
The Argyle job in League 2 ought to be a very attractive proposition for managers, as there is always scope to take the club up a division or two relatively quickly.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Devonportender":rxmykzni said:
Have heard that there will be a massive overhaul of the club by Brent in the Summer regardless of what division we'll be in. However Fletcher has turned the team around and will make it difficult to stand him down in favour of a more experienced manager. If we continue our form and avoid relegation by 10-15 points albe it at a lower level Fletcher will have done a better job than the last few 'experienced' managers.
Deserves a chance to see what he can do at a trouble free club with a bit of a budget.

Agreed.

Couple of other points.

We have loads of players who are out of contract in the summer. The quicker we sort the managerial position, the quicker we can seek commitment from the ones we want/need to keep for next season.

There was a lot of calls for Fletcher's head after a couple of our defeats this calendar year - interesting to note that Brent did not panic at that point and like Wolves, Macclesfield and Hereford changed their managers as the season entered the final run-in (O'Kelly appointed at Edgar Street March 5th, Brian Horton at Macc on March 19th) and may live to regret those decisions or the timing of them at least.

Sure Fletcher will be offered the manager's role as soon as the maths say we are definitely staying in the League and although this is really for another thread ( :oops: ) if he can bring in an energetic box to box midfielder and fills the holes created by the departing loanees (Hemmings, Bignot, MacDonald, S.Fletcher & Tsoumou) we can assess his managerial ability more accurately than during the fire fighting needed since he took over from Peter Reid.

Jul 6, 2011
Peter Reid

Reid kept sunderland up by spending lots of money for that era ( hardly the man for the argyle job). His saving grace in that team was Kevin Philips, a prolific goal scorer, Scored 113 goals in 208 games.

Man city (from wikipedia)

Manchester City
"Reid's managerial career began on 7 November 1990 at Manchester City, when was appointed caretaker manager after the departure of Howard Kendall back to Everton.[3] Reid was appointed player-manager on a permanent contract on 15 November.[4]

In 1990–91, Manchester City finished fifth (one place above neighbours Manchester United) and equalled this achievement the following season. In the first season of the Premier League (1992–93), City slipped into ninth place with an increasingly stale brand of 'long ball' football and Reid was sacked after a poor start to the following season.

Reid bought Keith Curle and Terry Phelan for £2.5 million each. Colin Hendry was sold to be eventually replaced by Michel Vonk. Clive Allen was also sold in December 1991."

The rest of his managerial career isn't even worth mentioning

Plympton pong, you seem to have a real issue with carl fletcher and frankly Manchester green; all the way thru the season you've wanted fletch to fail and thereby argyle being relegated, what kind of a fan are you?
You can attack me as much as you want, I really don't care. I couldn't give 2 shytes about peter reids reputation as a manager, I only care about argyle and its future.

Sep 3, 2009
By season's end, Fletcher will have kept us up with something to spare and that is no mean feat, given what he inherited.

He has earned the chance to become Argyle manager on a longer term basis and I hope he is offered a contract of 2 or more years.

Having said that, if he decides to leave, we shouldn't panic. With league status assured and on a sound financial footing, Argyle are going to be an attractive proposition from this summer. If we lose Fletcher - for whatever reason - there should be a healthy queue of potentially good candidates for the job.

Nov 8, 2010
briangreen":1mufsv9l said:
Manchester green; all the way thru the season you've wanted fletch to fail and thereby argyle being relegated, what kind of a fan are you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you still honestly think Reid had the same opportunities to succeed in the transfer market as Fletch? He had an embargo ffs. Fletch has done well, actually I think he's done better than Reid would have if he had the full the season. But there is no need to slander Reidy with groundless accusations.

Mar 2, 2008
briangreen":1iav6sib said:
Peter Reid

Reid kept sunderland up by spending lots of money for that era ( hardly the man for the argyle job). His saving grace in that team was Kevin Philips, a prolific goal scorer, Scored 113 goals in 208 games.

Man city (from wikipedia)

Manchester City
"Reid's managerial career began on 7 November 1990 at Manchester City, when was appointed caretaker manager after the departure of Howard Kendall back to Everton.[3] Reid was appointed player-manager on a permanent contract on 15 November.[4]

In 1990–91, Manchester City finished fifth (one place above neighbours Manchester United) and equalled this achievement the following season. In the first season of the Premier League (1992–93), City slipped into ninth place with an increasingly stale brand of 'long ball' football and Reid was sacked after a poor start to the following season.

Reid bought Keith Curle and Terry Phelan for £2.5 million each. Colin Hendry was sold to be eventually replaced by Michel Vonk. Clive Allen was also sold in December 1991."

The rest of his managerial career isn't even worth mentioning

Plympton pong, you seem to have a real issue with carl fletcher and frankly Manchester green; all the way thru the season you've wanted fletch to fail and thereby argyle being relegated, what kind of a fan are you?
You can attack me as much as you want, I really don't care. I couldn't give 2 shytes about peter reids reputation as a manager, I only care about argyle and its future.

Whta utter claptrap, what made you think of that pearler? :lol:
I have never had an issue with Carl Fletcher being Argyle manager.
For what its worth it looks like it has turned out to be a wise decision.

C

charlee

He needs to stay, however i have heard he is close to joining th cherries by my Bournemouth supporting mate :(

Nov 8, 2010
charlee":2a0at81j said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17695344

BBC Article!

He deserves the chance here, but if he doesn't want to stay then there's nothing we can really do about it with his contract close to expiry. Bournemouth is a big step up from us at the moment to be honest.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
I would like to see Fletch kept on as head coach and bring in his mate O Driscoll as manager,the two should work together well.