The future of Mr Fletcher | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The future of Mr Fletcher

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Hes got to have the job. Weve got to get out of this habbit of wanting someone new everytime things arnt looking to good. Hes done a cracking job. With a summer to rebuild a bit more and have a full pre season with Fletch and Brent in charge, who nos what could happen next season. Im looking forward to it already. :scarf:

Aug 22, 2006
The defensive record we've got especially in our last dozen or so matches under Fletcher is absolutely superb bearing in mind we were shambolic in the early stages of the season. Fletcher identified the problems, brought two superb players in, kept faith in our young right back (even the old left back's come back in and done well.) He's brought in an old argyle boy in Wotton, tried to bring some flair to the team with Hemmings/Lennox/Macdonald and used youngsters fairly well (Lecointe/Young.) He's brought in another old head in Chadwick and Tsoumou has given us at times a different dimension. In fact it's very very rare that a manager will get so many signings right. Now i'm not suggesting for a minute that they've all been successfull but nearly every single one has contributed something which is very very rare. Bearing in mind our situation. It would have been difficult to attract players in our predicement AND there's the salary cap. I don't think it would be fair, nor would it be Brent's style to just dump Fletch for someone else. Bring in another coach maybe into the set up to work alongside Larrieu/Fletch, but if we can stay up then Fletch definitely deserves a fresh start next campaign...

Dec 19, 2008
LiskeardLooney":1qrksykm said:
please apologize if I've missed something but is Carl fletchers contract up at the end of the season, and with clubs like bornemouth circling.

Being almost safe now, do you think the board will offer him a new contract and will HE'LL want to stay??

Bournemouth can have him for that big chair and an ice-cream.

Using a pasoti classic, "I'll drive him there myself".

People forget we had a proper manager once.

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
hairy j":2adehmjr said:
LiskeardLooney":2adehmjr said:
please apologize if I've missed something but is Carl fletchers contract up at the end of the season, and with clubs like bornemouth circling.

Being almost safe now, do you think the board will offer him a new contract and will HE'LL want to stay??

Because Peter Reid's record and scouting was tip top wasn't it :thumbs:

C

Cult Of Personality

rose":1p76yivl said:
hairy j":1p76yivl said:
LiskeardLooney":1p76yivl said:

Peter Reid was never given a chance with a proper budget

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
Cult Of Personality":2es9xtfu said:
rose":2es9xtfu said:
hairy j":2es9xtfu said:
LiskeardLooney":2es9xtfu said:

And Fletcher has been given a budget Manchester City would be jealous of.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
According to the "bookies" Fletcher is not even listed to be the manager of Bournemouth for next season, the rank outsider is Jamie Redknapp at 100-1.

Peter Reid and Steve Fletcher are priced at 20-1 and the favourite is Paul Groves.

Fletch kept us up and deserves another go next season despite some shortcomings. He could do with an experienced assistant in the dug out and on the training ground and not a Director of Football.

Feb 21, 2011
Cult Of Personality":3j69qqjz said:
rose":3j69qqjz said:
hairy j":3j69qqjz said:
LiskeardLooney":3j69qqjz said:

The squad he inherited in the 2010/11 season was more than capable of staying in league one, just accept he's a fine man good bloke etc but a poor manager.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
No problem if thats your view of him but intrested to no whos out there who you think will change us to a promotion winning side and will do it on a budget, not great pay himself and come sown to little ol Plymouth?

I cant think of many right now who stand out.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
CornishPaul":3nr5fh9y said:
No problem if thats your view of him but intrested to no whos out there who you think will change us to a promotion winning side and will do it on a budget, not great pay himself and come sown to little ol Plymouth?

I cant think of many right now who stand out.
Well I'll play Devil's Advocate here and say look at Martin Ling at Torquay. I think we would be a pretty attractive proposition.

But as everyone who reads my posts will know, I agree that Fletcher deserves next season on merit.

Jul 6, 2011
BadBoy":2vtcjync said:
Cult Of Personality":2vtcjync said:
rose":2vtcjync said:
hairy j":2vtcjync said:
LiskeardLooney":2vtcjync said:

The squad he inherited in the 2010/11 season was more than capable of staying in league one, just accept he's a fine man good bloke etc but a poor manager.

Frankly anyone who thinks Reid is a good manager needs to loosen their hat, because they're obviously wearing it too tight. He has to be one of the worst managers we've ever had here and I really don't want to hear about his budget etc.
Didn't he have the same opportunities to bring in the kind of players even on loan that Fletch (the man who has no contacts?????????) did, but he decided instead to go for players like Soukouna, Daley etc. Berry & Williams are now starting to look a little decent, especially Berry, but it was Fletch who brought that potential out.
If Fletch decided to bugger off to richer lands, who could blame him? The continuous mocking he's received on this site and i'm sure he reads it occasionally must make him wonder and probably puts a burden on him that he simply doesn't deserve.
Poor old Fletch, This is a human being we are talking about here and I think we tend to forget that.
Reid may have made some nice gestures, but a brilliant manager he isn't.

Keep Fletch on, he deserves the opportunity

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Spot on Brian. Time to judge Fletch and his players will be after he and they have had a proper pre-season and can play without fear of either not being paid and/or the worry that any mistake they make could lead to relegation.

Mar 2, 2008
briangreen":367pfgiz said:
BadBoy":367pfgiz said:
Cult Of Personality":367pfgiz said:
rose":367pfgiz said:
hairy j":367pfgiz said:
LiskeardLooney":367pfgiz said:

Frankly anyone who thinks Reid is a good manager needs to loosen their hat, because they're obviously wearing it too tight.He has to be one of the worst managers we've ever had here and I really don't want to hear about his budget etc.
Didn't he have the same opportunities to bring in the kind of players even on loan that Fletch (the man who has no contacts?????????) did, but he decided instead to go for players like Soukouna, Daley etc. Berry & Williams are now starting to look a little decent, especially Berry, but it was Fletch who brought that potential out.
If Fletch decided to bugger off to richer lands, who could blame him? The continuous mocking he's received on this site and i'm sure he reads it occasionally must make him wonder and probably puts a burden on him that he simply doesn't deserve.
Poor old Fletch, This is a human being we are talking about here and I think we tend to forget that.
Reid may have made some nice gestures, but a brilliant manager he isn't.

Keep Fletch on, he deserves the opportunity

Wrong on so many fronts Brian.
Firstly, Reid does not have a bad managerial record overall (have you checked his work at Man C and Sunderland?). Yes, he might not have done much in the last decade or so but does that make him a crap manager?

Secondly, its very harsh to say Reid had the same opportunities to bring in the kind of players Fletcher bought in on loan. We had a transfer/loan embargo for a start, and often at those parts of the season players are harder to bring in on loan or are unavailable.

Thirdly, re Daley, Berry, Williams etc, Reid didnt have a chance to 'bring through the talent' as he was sacked.

Nov 8, 2010
@Brian Green

It is possible to defend Fletch without resorting to groundlessly slandering Peter Reid.

Reid tried to sign quality players (Dickinson etc), but the moment they realised they wouldn't get paid they naffed off.

The only players he could get in those circumstances were untested kids like Berry, Soukouna. Hourihane, etc.

Actually, Berry, Cole and Williams, have turned out to be good signings for this division. He enticed them here with no wages on the table, so they obviously wanted to work with the man. Hourihane and Soukouna are OK players for League Two and obviously have a bit of potential about them.

Reid worked under an embargo and wasn't allowed to sign anyone. He was trying to get more loanees to make up the numbers but was banned from even signing loans towards the end of his spell in charge! So to say "he had the same opportunities to sign players as Fletch" is absolutely preposterous and an insult to Reid.

Jan 4, 2009
Plymouth
I am hoping we offer him a new contract and with our bigger earners (Walton, D Johnson) out of contract he should be able to bring in some decent league 2 players and with a proper pre season and no off field distractions maybe a promotion push is not out of the question!!