The future of Mr Fletcher | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The future of Mr Fletcher

Jul 13, 2009
LISKEARD
please apologize if I've missed something but is Carl fletchers contract up at the end of the season, and with clubs like bornemouth circling.

Being almost safe now, do you think the board will offer him a new contract and will HE'LL want to stay??

gil

Feb 22, 2008
Assuming his contract is up for renewal I reckon its highly unlikely Brent won't be offering him the opportunity to manage next season.

Unless someone comes in with major dosh to tempt him away (very unlikely) I can't see why he would go anywhere else. Start a new season with a team knowing they had actually achieved something, the defensive foundations already built and a seemingly supportive chairman. What could Bournemouth offer him?

Mar 7, 2009
Mr Brent needed this club to stay in the league. The club is staying in the league.

IMO, Fletcher is nailed onto be here next year.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
pilgrim_pete":2tnylckd said:
Mr Brent needed this club to stay in the league. The club is staying in the league.

IMO, Fletcher is nailed onto be here next year.

Agreed Sean, good logic.

As to the answer to the question "Should he?"

Well thats a different kettle of fish :greensmile:

Sep 2, 2008
Shadowknight":1mcicn57 said:
If he wants the job, it should be his.

Thats the thing. By keeping us in the league (I believe we're safe) Fletch has achieved something quite phenomenal. Going through admin, bringing in completely new and, in the early part of the season, inexperienced players. Motivating the team, which included a number of loanees, building up that team spirit and getting them playing the way he wanted has been a massive task. I appreciate that he couldn't do this alone and I'm sure he had huge support from his training staff. Having said that he is the man who sets the standard and gives the direction. I would say there are a good few clubs out there that will be looking at our manager. Bournemouth are not afraid to go with untested managers and the geography will suit him. I was not a Fletcher fan as I thought we needed an experienced helmsman to steer us away from the drop but he has convinced me that he is destined for a very successful career as a manager. As much as I would love him to stay I feel that the new season will see him plying his trade elsewhere.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I would be very surprised if he does not carry on but feel a one year contract is enough for starters. Perhaps he might recruit Steve Fletcher as a coach and bit part player?

Jul 13, 2009
LISKEARD
I asked the question because as a anti fletcher appointment (sorry Carl) myself I felt that we could of had someone better in Sean O'driscoll

I now see what he is trying to archive by making us a hard side to beat, I mean we draw a lot, but we don't often get beat. And that's what's kept us up. I Know we're not there yet but I reckon we're all but

with his previous connection to bornemouth I think there is a chance he might be tempted especially with all some of fans still doubting his ability.

I think with a bit of money to spend next season, and his connections, Carl will be able to shape the team and make us a real force for next season

thank you Carl, I'm glad you've proved me wrong

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Fletcher has done a "Pullis". Indeed even Mr Pullis himself could not have done a much better job.

We have become difficult to beat as was the case when TP was here.

Fletch has put a spine down the middle of the side, which was badly and sadly missing before the arrival of Purse.

I know we all want to be watching " Argyle Barcelona" every week, but it probably won't happen at this level.

Sturrock won promotion from this division playing, in the most part, ugly hoofball.

I would be delighted if Fletcher can replicate this next season and therefore, I hope he stays.

gil

Feb 22, 2008
Unless Bournemouth have large amounts of cash to throw at him or his emotional attachment to them is greater than it is to us (which must be pretty strong considering the last 2 years) then I can't see why he would want to leave a job here half finished.

To be fair he still has some way to go to really prove himself as an established manager, why would he want to start somewhere else all over again?

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
his job is 'under review' at the end of the season. What ever happens i'm sure he won't want to leave. By now his emotional attachment to the club must be sky high.

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
Pilgrim Close":2pcgn6kg said:
Matt Neil":2pcgn6kg said:
gil":2pcgn6kg said:
Unless Bournemouth have large amounts of cash to throw at him or his emotional attachment to them is greater than it is to us (which must be pretty strong considering the last 2 years) then I can't see why he would want to leave a job here half finished.

To be fair he still has some way to go to really prove himself as an established manager, why would he want to start somewhere else all over again?

Unfortunately, they have that.

Do they? I've always thought of them as one of the skint clubs.
apart from their purchase of Matt Tubbs from £800,000 - £1,000,000 in the transfer window? :whistle:

L

lostinleeds

Is there any evidence that Bournemouth are 'circling'? Sounds like the sort of BS rumour you get on the internet. I imagine that if they do have money to spend on getting a manager in, they will be looking for someone with much more experience than Fletcher (e.g. a similar move Northampton who employed Boothroyd to great effect).

Back on topic, I strongly suspect that CF will be offered a new contract as Manager - perhaps without him needing to register as a player anymore.

Edit to add> Just skim read the thread in rumours, I would normally file anything read in the Daily Star under 'BS', although its interesting that its made the papers.