The FES Devonport End. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The FES Devonport End.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
The news is good news in my veiw, we have dept the Devonport End name. As long as Home Park is not messed with in any way then I am happy.

My only issue with the OP is the rather snide poke at other fans; why the same people need to keep trying to divide the fanbase I have no idea. Peace out lads. We're Argyle, we're crap, and thats been more or less true for over 100 years.

Be interesting to see if Mr Barron (is that the FES's chaps name?) actually gets a stake in the club in the future, his recent investments and donations seem to have got fans onside with him. He must have put almost as much cash into the club as Brent now!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
The Doctor":3eyrbpxv said:
Ollieargyle9":3eyrbpxv said:
Another fantastic effort from Nikkk :nworthy:

[not having a go at you Ollie, just using your words to provide the context for my post]

I wouldn't describe it as a fantastic effort. Surely, it is either:

1) a commercial deal that provides FES additional exposure that they consider to be worth at least as much as they have paid for it
2) a step towards FES (or the person behind FES) getting a bigger foothold into Argyle (for whatever reason)

Please note that I am NOT being critical of this deal or the person(s) behind it, just suggesting that there is most probably some underlying motive that is not simply philanthropy. If FES or anyone else wanted simply to improve Argyle's financial position they could just give the club money. That would then be a 'fantastic effort'.

It seems to me that the person behind FES possibly wants to have some direct involvement in the running of Argyle. I may be wrong about this and there is nothing necessarily wrong if they do. But the financial backing of Forza Verde, murals, advertising hoardings, the youth team etc. all point in this direction. So, it is impossible for me to see any of FES/Nikkkkks involvement in things as being philanthropic which is kind of how it has always been portrayed up until now.

I'm not sure if this is a controversial view or not? I guess I'll soon find out.

Edited to add: perhaps I should just add that I suppose it ought to be acknowledged that anyone who puts many into any club at Argyle's current level is, in a sense, being philanthropic!

Of course Doc and in no way was I suggesting this deal was done solely as a kind gesture...

I don't know of Nikkk or how he is linked to FES, however by the sounds of it he was the driving force behind this deal, a deal that should benefit Argyle however it pans out whether it be in the form of a simple sponsorship deal in which both parties benefit or in the form of potential investment which in itself may also benefit Argyle depending on the investors plans for the club.

I don't see this as another chance for Nikkk to donate money to the club, in fact if FES had thrown in money for the naming rights and named the stand the Devonport I'd think he/they were mad. This was a commercial deal FES have got their name out there by going ahead with it and will continue to get their name talked about as this is announced to the offline community, now it's just a case of waiting to see if FES's interests in Argyle are more than just as sponsors...

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
FES. Right.

A good means of cash influence whist impacting that wage-turnover cap thingy. And a tax deductible for FES.

Probably the lawyer's 'hard work' rather than the marketing dept's.

Mar 2, 2008
I might have missed it but can anyone tell me how long the deal is for and if the payments are in a lump sum or will be paid in increments?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
It would be nice to think that something similar will happen at sometime around the rest of the ground. A lot has happened at the Devonport end but I hope that the powers that be remember that the supporters sit elsewhere in the ground as well. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Give me a history lesson. Why is it called the Devonport end? Why not the Outland Road end, the Milehouse end or even the Tavistock Road end as it was probably called way back. Devonport is a mile away.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Lundan Cabbie":231n30ks said:
Give me a history lesson. Why is it called the Devonport end? Why not the Outland Road end, the Milehouse end or even the Tavistock Road end as it was probably called way back. Devonport is a mile away.
I'm guessing but possibly some link to the dockyard perhaps?

Mar 2, 2008
green eyed monster":xkti167r said:
Lundan Cabbie":xkti167r said:
I'm guessing but possibly some link to the dockyard perhaps?
:lol: :)

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1zkwm1ch said:
The following is an extract about a book regarding the history of Devonport Albion RFC:

In 1893 Devonport Albion left Bladderley Lane and moved to the newly-laid Home Park football ground (which in those days was a part of Devonport). Negotiations for the site rental were signed in the January, and the team's first match at Home Park took place on 1st April 1893So I would hazard a guess that it had fields on 3 sides and Devonport in the Outland Road area.

(More than likely a load of bull and I'm wide off the mark) :) :)