The Banner and The drum | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Banner and The drum

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
GTTB Resurgam":2l497636 said:
Just been on his twitter to see what a fool he's making of himself and noticed he has a signed poster of Fletcher on his bedroom wall. Bless.
i'm making a fool of myself? For putting two keyboard warriors in their place? I've made a fool of myself, course I have... :facepalm: :funny:

H

Hesperus

Ollieargyle9":2luvvuaa said:
LostPilgrim":2luvvuaa said:
Ollieargyle9":2luvvuaa said:
So you have a problem with Argyle fans calling each other childish names and complaining like children but your response to that is to call all those involved "sad and lonely" which is in no way childish and doesn't at all go against what you specifically set out to comment upon? :whistle:

There is a bit of history behind the phrase "Sad and Lonley" Ollie, hence the speech marks. Without meaning to sound condescending it might have been a bit before your time?

Fair enough Lost, and yes you are quite right during the Bobby days I was a little too young to be reading the managers comments and arguing the toss on a forum. Argyle for me back then was turning up at Home Park on a Saturday with my Dad then forgetting about it until the call of duty of the next home game came along. Still it didn't stop me chanting "we want Bobby out" when the time came...

Nice call, Ollie.
I kept my mouth shut until the final whistle at Brighton away, during Bobby's tenure. We applauded the players off the field and then, hit Bobby with an entire load of vitriol. He was gone before the next match!

It's a bloody horrible thing to do! We're dealing with a human being, after all. Bobby, didn't help himself by slagging off the PASOTI posters and saying some of the things he did. At the time, these were most of the away following.

Personally, I'm astounded that CF has survived this latest defeat. He needs to move on IMO.

But, in the case of Charlee (or Rose, never met him btw) it's my understanding that, he is very young? It seems to me that, the club is attempting to build a Devonport End for the future. The experiment is failing!

Yes, there is atmosphere but, one only has to look at GOS to see that it is an empty, cosmetic attempt.

When our club is doing well, the Devonport End is not only full but, it is spontaneous! Many of the songs, just happened! I mean, unique banter that was 100% janner!

Therefore, I'm saying that, these young pups, such as The Drummer and, the rest of Forze whatever, are beyond reproach because, they only understand the 'religion' of the colours and not, the tradition of our club.

IMO, let them stay there! When the club becomes a success again, open the Barn End for the real fans and, put the away fans in a section of the new South Stand.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
LostPilgrim":38sowjbd said:
Ollieargyle9":38sowjbd said:
So you have a problem with Argyle fans calling each other childish names and complaining like children but your response to that is to call all those involved "sad and lonely" which is in no way childish and doesn't at all go against what you specifically set out to comment upon? :whistle:

There is a bit of history behind the phrase "Sad and Lonley" Ollie, hence the speech marks. Without meaning to sound condescending it might have been a bit before your time?

Andy Holland":38sowjbd said:
I agree in principle, with one exception. You complain about people bemoaning long-ball tactics, but then also getting lairy at Hourihane passing the ball to a full back.

This is one of the typical Pasoti arguments of the last few months: "you say you don't want long ball tactics, but then complain when we're keeping posession!"

I'm going to be really clear about this: there is a HUGE middle ground to be found that doesn't involve long-ball, but neither consists solely of your Hourihanes and Youngs of the world receiving a ball with space in front of them, and instantly turning to face their own goal instead of even attempting something more positive, something as complicated as, say, running or passing forward.

To claim that people getting annoyed at the consistent negativity of some of our players (a reflection of the manager) only want long-ball is not only a childish and blinkered view, it's just plain idiotic.

I didn't say anything about long balls or keeping posession as an overall tactic. I talking about a situation where a player on the halfway line has no option in front of him. The last few years our players have aimless hoofed it in that situation, to the dismay of the crowd. Now we pass it sideways in that situation, to the diismay of the crowd. Perhaps the player should attempt to dribble round their man? Or kick it out of play? I am not convinced there is a third option in the situation, but would say pass to full back beats aimless hoof.
Of course, when the full back takes one touch and then aimlessly hoofs it to a static forward line or when Hourihane finds himself in a break and kindly waits for the opposition defence to get back in position before he passes it to the full back then my head is in my hands as much as the next person.

there is, of course, a third option; the mifdfield player keeps possession whilst those in front of him run into space, turn, lose their marker, make dummy runs, swap sides, go wide, come closer, run through their back 4 etc etc etc (to sum it up they should be doing what "footballers" should be doing! :facepalm: )

but of course, our team, coached by our management team, don't do that, we continually play the ball backwards, no shots on goal, they breakaway, they score, we lose again!

if you watched MoTD on saturday (i think it was) the concept of 'meaningless' possession without results/penetration was attacked by one of the managers about his own team (can't remember who cos i'm getting on you know!!) :think:

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Hesperus":16szhsxs said:
Therefore, I'm saying that, these young pups, such as The Drummer and, the rest of Forze whatever, are beyond reproach because, they only understand the 'religion' of the colours and not, the tradition of our club.

IMO, let them stay there! When the club becomes a success again, open the Barn End for the real fans and, put the away fans in a section of the new South Stand.

Are you saying that the people in block 3 who support the team with this cosmetic atmosphere (without which there would be no atmosphere) don't support the club as much as others because they don't understand the club's traditions?! And that they aren't real fans?!