The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch ! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The answer is simple .... put a striker on the pitch !

Apr 30, 2011
Biggs":ur3vl5ns said:
Managers everywhere nowadays are ditching the old-fashioned poacher and/or target man, and certainly aren't regularly playing with two up front. Adams is not remotely strange in that respect.

The good build-up play that people are speaking of, may not exist without the increased numbers in midfield and attack that come when you sacrifice an out-and-out striker who doesn't contribute to that build-up.

RG, you're saying DA hasn't signed any genuine strikers since he's been at the club. Do you think we'd have finished higher than 5th, 2nd and 7th if he had? The same system that's being criticised is the same one that achieved those positions in the first place.

The only way you succeed with a 4-4-2 now is when you have the quality of players to overpower the opposition man for man, clearly we haven't got the budget to do that so we've needed to find different ways of winning.

Probably the most intelligent post I have seen for some time.

May 26, 2015
Biggs":3vsfkrht said:
RochdaleGreen":3vsfkrht said:
So far as last season is concerned, we would most certainly have made the playoffs, if only we had a striker.

But that logic is completely flawed.

The system youā€™re criticising is the same one that got us to within spitting distance of the play-offs in the first place. Youā€™re assuming weā€™d have gone on that same run (or better) with a completely different system and recruitment strategy.

You canā€™t possibly say we would most certainly have made the playoffs with a striker, thatā€™s extreme levels of conjecture.
Fair enough Biggs in that there is a degree of conjecture on my part. However, we did run out of steam, somewhat alarmingly, towards the end of last season and I thought a striker might have helped us into the playoffs.

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":2t7en1oq said:
Balham_Green":2t7en1oq said:
Biggs":2t7en1oq said:
He shouldnā€™t have resigned Wylde, that was clearly a mistake. Happy now?

The reason Iā€™m pro-Adams is fairly simple. Heā€™s over-achieved every season heā€™s been here, the last three years have been our best period for a decade, weā€™ve been promoted, witnessed my best moment as an Argyle fan (Hartley v Pompey) and despite an average budget weā€™ve seen some of the best results and players (Carey especially, obviously) for more than a decade. Thatā€™s not delusion or being naive. And itā€™s plain as day to me that work has been taken for granted by some, when itā€™s actually been incredibly hard to achieve.

Whereas youā€™re intent on seeing the negative in every situation, and now delight in ridiculing both Adams and posters who are still behind him.

Don't take any delight in it mate. I've supported the team longer than you it sounds and seen many managers and teams. I believe you are wrong. He definitely is not the Messiah you and some others (less and less) seem to think him . So you finally admit he has made ONE mistake at least! I personally think he is an average manager certainly not deserving of a 5 year contract. If he gets us in to mid table this season thst will still apply. If it's a relegation battle or worse he won't even be that. And the decade stuff you mention as you very well known is nonsense. That was a very difficult period in Argyle's history. But average manager or not his football is negative and I find him arrogant and stubborn.
i think that is a very fair post balham and i am a supporter of derek and i agree he is stubborn.i want derek to see out his contract and i ask you this question,if derek walks/gets chopped who would you bring in of the managers available?

So you want to see negative football for another 5 years? There are loads of good managers doing well on small budgets e.g Keith Hill at Rochdale.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":1t4hmi43 said:
Grass is always greener on the other side, isnā€™t it?

Darren Way has a 32% win percentage to DAā€™s 45% over roughly the same period. I appreciate Yeovil are a smaller club, but thereā€™s absolutely no indication that he is someone who can get us into the Championship.

Very simplistic not the first time. You know very well Darren Way took over a basket case of a team near the bottom of League 2. Adams took over a team already in the play offs and due to screwing up the Wembley final with his tactics we then spent yet another season in a league below where we should have been. So don't insult our intelligence.

May 26, 2015
Biggs":2wlfzhax said:
RochdaleGreen":2wlfzhax said:
Now to this season, I ask: Why did Adams not try to sign Caolan Lavery, who went to Bury; why did we not attempt to attract Henderson from Rochdale (hat trick last week end); why did we not try to sign Accrington's Billy Kee? - the list of reasonably priced /available strikers is longer than Adams seems to think, but you need to know what you are looking for.

Finally, as to your comment on the budget (whatever it is, and no one on Pasoti seems to know), I ask: What sense does it make to waste precious resources on the 5 or 6 players who have not so far featured, and are unlikely to feature? Please answer the questions, as I have sought to do.

Onto these points...

1) poachers like Lavery are a dying breed in modern football because they donā€™t contribute to general play. Henderson also doesnā€™t fit our system and is a Rochdale legend so presumably wouldnā€™t leave them to come 300 miles south at 33, and Billy Kee scored 25 goals in League 2 last season so would command a transfer fee way in excess of what we can pay.

2) signings like Ainsworth, Dyson and Wylde look like mistakes. But thatā€™s hardly a stick to beat Adams with as every signing up and down the country is a gamble. He didnā€™t sign them with the intention of them not making the squad, they clearly just arenā€™t impressing. And thatā€™s with the caveat that Dyson has plenty of time to come good.

Who says poachers are a dying breed? Did you see Ibrahimovic's goal for LA Galaxy at the weekend, at the age of 36?

No, an old fashioned poacher is exactly what we need. Really annoyed to see Lavery sign for Bury. What a missed opportunity!

Ainsworth hasn't been given a fair chance.

I work with somebody who was on Everton's books as a teenager and he has played with Dyson, and Sarcevic (at Chester) and he thinks Dyson just needs a run of games.

I have been showing said colleague videos of Mike Trebilcock's glorious goals at Wembley in the 1966 FA Cup Final. He is mightily impressed, especially with the pitch invader's celebration of Trebilcock's second goal and Kenneth Wolstenholme's commentary, when invader is rugby tackled by a policeman, that "he has lost his jacket, but he just doesn't care! What Joy. I remember the Sunday Independent's headline on "The Joys of Mike Trebilcock". Can somebody find it from 1966?

Oct 5, 2013
DA appears to think he is already playing strikers. Here's what he has said:

ā€œWe need to score goals and we're not doing that,ā€ he said, after Saturdayā€™s game.

ā€œWe've had plenty of opportunities to do that today, and we're not just talking about the strikers. We're talking about set plays and midfielders as well."

But DA plays a front man, which is different from a striker - which means a goalscorer, a finisher. He's got me confused, who are these "strikers" he's referring to?
A striker on the pitch is precisely what we need, then we might score some goals.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Blackpool created enough chances with Mark Cullen as a lone forward on Saturday. With a bit of luck he could of had a hattrick inside 25 mins.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Balham_Green":a5l76bh5 said:
Steve Evans":a5l76bh5 said:
Balham_Green":a5l76bh5 said:
Biggs":a5l76bh5 said:

The reason Iā€™m pro-Adams is fairly simple. Heā€™s over-achieved every season heā€™s been here, the last three years have been our best period for a decade, weā€™ve been promoted, witnessed my best moment as an Argyle fan (Hartley v Pompey) and despite an average budget weā€™ve seen some of the best results and players (Carey especially, obviously) for more than a decade. Thatā€™s not delusion or being naive. And itā€™s plain as day to me that work has been taken for granted by some, when itā€™s actually been incredibly hard to achieve.

Whereas youā€™re intent on seeing the negative in every situation, and now delight in ridiculing both Adams and posters who are still behind him.

Don't take any delight in it mate. I've supported the team longer than you it sounds and seen many managers and teams. I believe you are wrong. He definitely is not the Messiah you and some others (less and less) seem to think him . So you finally admit he has made ONE mistake at least! I personally think he is an average manager certainly not deserving of a 5 year contract. If he gets us in to mid table this season thst will still apply. If it's a relegation battle or worse he won't even be that. And the decade stuff you mention as you very well known is nonsense. That was a very difficult period in Argyle's history. But average manager or not his football is negative and I find him arrogant and stubborn.
i think that is a very fair post balham and i am a supporter of derek and i agree he is stubborn.i want derek to see out his contract and i ask you this question,if derek walks/gets chopped who would you bring in of the managers available?

So you want to see negative football for another 5 years? There are loads of good managers doing well on small budgets e.g Keith Hill at Rochdale.
i'll ask you again balham,who would you bring in?

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":2b7kj7lp said:
Balham_Green":2b7kj7lp said:
Steve Evans":2b7kj7lp said:
Balham_Green":2b7kj7lp said:
Biggs":2b7kj7lp said:

i'll ask you again balham,who would you bring in?

Er think I just answered that! You didn't answer my question.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
oddball":2c6u3tqd said:
You could put Jimmy Greaves up front but I doubt if he would score...The service, the delivery, the chances, created by the wide players,the midfield/overlapping full backs ,whoever, is poor and any striker is feeding on scraps...

Totally agree, the striker lives off supply, so without any he dies.

Oct 5, 2013
argobenz":21wmpguz said:
oddball":21wmpguz said:
You could put Jimmy Greaves up front but I doubt if he would score...The service, the delivery, the chances, created by the wide players,the midfield/overlapping full backs ,whoever, is poor and any striker is feeding on scraps...

But DA says we are creating loads of chances, every match, without converting them.....

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
philevs":3lm1wsdh said:
argobenz":3lm1wsdh said:
oddball":3lm1wsdh said:

But DA says we are creating loads of chances, every match, without converting them.....

He's a fantasist.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Evans":15ismnml said:
the rochdale supporters want him out!

Don't know where you get that from.

Maybe the same football encyclopedia that lists Fletcher as the answer to our problems and puts Letheren ahead of Macey.