Tavistock v Argyle | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Tavistock v Argyle

H

Helston_Green

plymouth1970":3llqbr5d said:
Helston_Green":3llqbr5d said:
The Night Riveria":3llqbr5d said:
XIsle. Easy to say from behind a keyboard.I travelled from London to the Helston friendly.Clearly Helston were expecting some first teamers as I heard the chairman say he would be contacting Argyle.If you had taken your children along or come in a minibus with disabled people.and their carers you may have felt differently. Anyway it was a glorious day and Helston went the extra mile.AlI I am saying is why the secrecy of what team he was sending to what match.There was nothing on the official site to give the impression that no real furst teamers would be involved in the Helston match.I think Argyle may have lost some brownie points in this part of Cornwall today

I'm involved at Helston and sadly this was a bit naughty of Argyle. As with a pre-season game last summer (from memory) it was expected Argyle would split the first team squad. Helston's chairman wrote to Argyle asking if this would be the case as he feared it could be a development side, and he was reassured that there would be several first team players present.

As a result the chairman plugged the game as such, advertising far and wide and stating a promise he had from Argyle, but was left disappointed when the youth side turned up.

There was a huge crowd of about 500 and hopefully they won't be put off returned if ever a similar fixture should be advertised in the future.

That said, some lovely football was played and the beer was cold. Just a shame Argyle weren't transparent with their intentions and didn't leave Helston's chairman feeling like an idiot.

Awful by Argyle , I hope Helston refuse a friendly next season, that’ll show those big city boys .

PS I hope the 500 attendees enjoyed the game

FFS

Not even sure what tone you're trying to adopt here but things like this actually mean a lot to community clubs. In case you're missing the point, Argyle promise first teamers, game billed as such, club left looking stupid. Also greens travel from all around Cornwall and left disappointed, as evident above.

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":99u5ilo3 said:
It was disappointing to make the effort to travel from North Cornwall to near the southern most point of England and see such a poor representation of First XI players despite it being posted on here that they would be The team was largely the 18 age group. The stand out player on the pitch was Law, Argyle's left back, followed by Sangster in midfield who was a good distributor of the ball.. Enjoyment of the game was compromised by there being no PA announcement of teams nor substutions. The piece of paper that was nicely printed as a programme gave Argyles First XI players names and shirt numbers. It was not helped that the numbered shirts were worn by the young players. Anyhow, it did not rain!

I contacted the Club about the Helston game and received an Email from Zac Newton on the 3rd July confirming that it was a first team game and that with 31 in the squad it would be possible to field two teams.

If in the 11 days the decision was made to change this why couldn’t Argyle let supporters know.

This lack of communication does suggest the media team are only interested with the first team, a subject I raised with Derek Adams yesterday, following the zero reporting of the two recent U18 games and Reserve fixture at Chard, he has assured me non first team matches will be getting coverage in the future. Tuesday will be the first test of this when the U18s have their next match.

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
X Isle":192o0fpv said:
Speaking of expectations, did you really expect that DA would play two games on the same day and NOT have all his first team squad at the game he was actually watching? I mean, he's very good, but he isn't yet omnipresent.

Surely that’s what assistant managers are for...

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Quintrell_Green":d741zngr said:
It was disappointing to make the effort to travel from North Cornwall to near the southern most point of England and see such a poor representation of First XI players despite it being posted on here that they would be
Er, The Site Manager's fixture list has it down as an Argyle XI whereas the Tavvy game was listed as Argyle.

Likewise the fixtures at Dorchester, Taunton, Elburton, and Barnstaple. In fact for the Taunton and Elburton games Argyle's first team squad are not even in the country.

Sat 14 Helston Athletic 0 - 5 Argyle XI. Goals: Sangster, Jephcott, Lolos, Rooney.
Sat 14 Tavistock AFC 1 - 5 Argyle. Goals: Carey 2, J Grant, Lameiras, Ladapo.
Tue 17 v Torquay United 7.30pm
Wed 18 v Bideford AFC 7.30pm
Fri 20 v Dorchester Town 7.30pm (Argyle XI)
Sat 21 v Yeovil Town 3pm Buy tickets
July 22 28: Training camp in Delden, Netherlands.
Tue 24 v Taunton Town 7.45pm (Argyle XI)
Tue 24 v SV Schermbeck in Germany 5.30pm BST
Thu 26 v Elburton Villa 7.30pm (Argyle XI)
Fri 27 v MVV Maastricht in Holland 7pm BST
Sun 29 v Barnstaple Town 3pm (Argyle XI)
Tue 31 v Callington Town 7.30pm. Rearranged.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Argylegames":3ltomj0e said:
Quintrell_Green":3ltomj0e said:
It was disappointing to make the effort to travel from North Cornwall to near the southern most point of England and see such a poor representation of First XI players despite it being posted on here that they would be
Er, The Site Manager's fixture list has it down as an Argyle XI whereas the Tavvy game was listed as Argyle.

Likewise the fixtures at Dorchester, Taunton, Elburton, and Barnstaple. In fact for the Taunton and Elburton games Argyle's first team squad are not even in the country.

Sat 14 Helston Athletic 0 - 5 Argyle XI. Goals: Sangster, Jephcott, Lolos, Rooney.
Sat 14 Tavistock AFC 1 - 5 Argyle. Goals: Carey 2, J Grant, Lameiras, Ladapo.
Tue 17 v Torquay United 7.30pm
Wed 18 v Bideford AFC 7.30pm
Fri 20 v Dorchester Town 7.30pm (Argyle XI)
Sat 21 v Yeovil Town 3pm Buy tickets
July 22 28: Training camp in Delden, Netherlands.
Tue 24 v Taunton Town 7.45pm (Argyle XI)
Tue 24 v SV Schermbeck in Germany 5.30pm BST
Thu 26 v Elburton Villa 7.30pm (Argyle XI)
Fri 27 v MVV Maastricht in Holland 7pm BST
Sun 29 v Barnstaple Town 3pm (Argyle XI)
Tue 31 v Callington Town 7.30pm. Rearranged.

As of this morning the match v Helston was listed on that thread as just 'Argyle' because no-one knew. When I edited the thread later today to show the results I changed it to 'Argyle XI' because it was clear the team at Helston wasn't a first team.

Just a tweet from Argyle this morning explaining who was playing where would have helped.

B

Bonehead

Helston_Green":n2f869x3 said:
plymouth1970":n2f869x3 said:
Helston_Green":n2f869x3 said:
The Night Riveria":n2f869x3 said:
XIsle. Easy to say from behind a keyboard.I travelled from London to the Helston friendly.Clearly Helston were expecting some first teamers as I heard the chairman say he would be contacting Argyle.If you had taken your children along or come in a minibus with disabled people.and their carers you may have felt differently. Anyway it was a glorious day and Helston went the extra mile.AlI I am saying is why the secrecy of what team he was sending to what match.There was nothing on the official site to give the impression that no real furst teamers would be involved in the Helston match.I think Argyle may have lost some brownie points in this part of Cornwall today

I'm involved at Helston and sadly this was a bit naughty of Argyle. As with a pre-season game last summer (from memory) it was expected Argyle would split the first team squad. Helston's chairman wrote to Argyle asking if this would be the case as he feared it could be a development side, and he was reassured that there would be several first team players present.

As a result the chairman plugged the game as such, advertising far and wide and stating a promise he had from Argyle, but was left disappointed when the youth side turned up.

There was a huge crowd of about 500 and hopefully they won't be put off returned if ever a similar fixture should be advertised in the future.

That said, some lovely football was played and the beer was cold. Just a shame Argyle weren't transparent with their intentions and didn't leave Helston's chairman feeling like an idiot.

Awful by Argyle , I hope Helston refuse a friendly next season, that’ll show those big city boys .

FFS

Not even sure what tone you're trying to adopt here but things like this actually mean a lot to community clubs. In case you're missing the point, Argyle promise first teamers, game billed as such, club left looking stupid. Also greens travel from all around Cornwall and left disappointed, as evident above.

Show me one advert that promises Argyle first teamers?

H

Helston_Green

plymouth1970":1chjz89q said:
Helston_Green":1chjz89q said:
plymouth1970":1chjz89q said:
Helston_Green":1chjz89q said:
The Night Riveria":1chjz89q said:

FFS

Show me one advert that promises first teamers (from Argyle) ?

I can assure you Helston had written confirmation.

H

Helston_Green

plymouth1970":2t1da5fq said:
Go on then.

Well I'm hardly going to have it to hand am I? Again, you're completely missing the point but nothing beats a Saturday evening wind up right? :banghead:

Here's a thread on the Cornwall football forum which backs it up. http://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/to ... w-on-sale/

Helston's chairman said: "In response to comments placed on the Cornwall Football Forum, I have today contacted senior management at Plymouth Argyle FC. They have confirmed that it is intended that the team that will play Helston AFC in a pre-season fixture will be comprised of mostly first-team squad players. The suggestion by one Cornwall Football Forum poster is that they may be sending their Academy/SWPL side for this fixture is erroneous.

The team have also confirmed that after the game there will be opportunities for spectators to get photos taken with the players, who will also be willing to sign autographs, as time allows. We look forward to welcoming Plymouth Argyle players, management, officials and supporters to Kellaway Park on Saturday July 14th, Kick off 3:00 pm, for what is sure to be an exciting afternoon of football. "

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Helston_Green":301r5hiv said:
plymouth1970":301r5hiv said:
Go on then.

Well I'm hardly going to have it to hand am I? Again, you're completely missing the point but nothing beats a Saturday evening wind up right? :banghead:

Here's a thread on the Cornwall football forum which backs it up. http://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/to ... w-on-sale/

Helston's chairman said: "In response to comments placed on the Cornwall Football Forum, I have today contacted senior management at Plymouth Argyle FC. They have confirmed that it is intended that the team that will play Helston AFC in a pre-season fixture will be comprised of mostly first-team squad players. The suggestion by one Cornwall Football Forum poster is that they may be sending their Academy/SWPL side for this fixture is erroneous.

The team have also confirmed that after the game there will be opportunities for spectators to get photos taken with the players, who will also be willing to sign autographs, as time allows. We look forward to welcoming Plymouth Argyle players, management, officials and supporters to Kellaway Park on Saturday July 14th, Kick off 3:00 pm, for what is sure to be an exciting afternoon of football. "

HG I could see that your Committee had gone to great efforts on the day for it to be a success. Parking was controlled with spaces reserved for guests from Plymouth. I do think however that a Club of your status in the SWL must have some form of PA system. I know of other Clubs in your league who do. You went to great effort to produce a team sheet with coloured printing of each club's crest on the front. Inside you quoted your players in a team list but had no shirt numbers with them. I think you could have done better with that. You did have organised seating for Argyle guests in your little stand. First class.The pitch looked in good shape, if a trifle hard in the current heat wave.

From what you say, I feel that Argyle appear not to have been fully up front with you in player representation. This would not have helped you in printing their players names nor shirt numbers on your team sheet. I accept that. it was out of your control. I felt you could have charged more on the gate by the way, given that Truro City were charging £!0 entrance fee 5 years ago.

Incidentally, today was the first occasion I was in your ground since 1959/60, when I saw Wadebridge play you in the SWL. You may have had Sam Real in goal? Cornwall's keeper at the time perhaps?

Jul 13, 2006
Helston_Green":2o5u85j4 said:
plymouth1970":2o5u85j4 said:
Go on then.

I think that's fairly conclusive!

H

Helston_Green

Quintrell_Green":2df2sfm2 said:
Helston_Green":2df2sfm2 said:
plymouth1970":2df2sfm2 said:
Go on then.

HG I could see that your Committee had gone to great efforts on the day for it to be a success. Parking was controlled with spaces reserved for guests from Plymouth. I do think however that a Club of your status in the SWL must have some form of PA system. I know of other Clubs in your league who do. You went to great effort to produce a team sheet with coloured printing of each club's crest on the front. Inside you quoted your players in a team list but had no shirt numbers with them. I think you could have done better with that. You did have organised seating for Argyle guests in your little stand. First class.The pitch looked in good shape, if a trifle hard in the current heat wave.

From what you say, I feel that Argyle appear not to have been fully up front with you in player representation. This would not have helped you in printing their players names nor shirt numbers on your team sheet. I accept that. it was out of your control. I felt you could have charged more on the gate by the way, given that Truro City were charging £!0 entrance fee 5 years ago.

Incidentally, today was the first occasion I was in your ground since 1959/60, when I saw Wadebridge play you in the SWL. You may have had Sam Real in goal? Cornwall's keeper at the time perhaps?

I'm not on the committee, I just play for one of the other teams at Helston when not watching Argyle but will pass the message on to those in power. And that is an impressive memory you have there! Sam passed away recently but is a club legend. Bet the place has changed a lot in that time!

B

Bonehead

foreigner":36v747k6 said:
Helston_Green":36v747k6 said:
plymouth1970":36v747k6 said:
Go on then.

I think that's fairly conclusive!
How is that conclusive? Where have Argyle confirmed that the first team (players) would turn up ?? I could put an advert out tomorrow stating my 14 year old sons team will be playing Argyles first team... £10 entry, hot dogs £6