Supporters Bar | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Supporters Bar

Sep 25, 2010
KCJ":1l94yjt8 said:
As a season ticket holder I was keenly looking forward to the opening of the Supporters Bar, I thought it was one of the things that was highlighted as a huge opportunity from the redevelopment programme.
Having read five or so pages of comment on this thread, I`m still somewhat confused about where we all stand on this one, will we be able to use this bar or not and if so when ?
Could we possibly just ask The Green Taverners to release a statement regarding this so whatever the rules over use are, we at least know where we all stand ?

As other people, have said, they have done a sterling and great job, on the new building, and have been very busy, and deserved great credit.

But they need to make some statement, about the proposed use of the bar, as it seems to have been organised in-house for the GT’s.

Whilst I sympathise and understand the frustration over the lack of communication, please be aware that the GT's are flat out trying to get these new facilities ready as soon as possible.

This entails 12+ hour working days on site and has done for many weeks.

Obviously getting the physical build ready and completed has understandably taken priority, as without an open and fully functioning facitility, details of opening hours etc are meaningless.

I'm going to pass over peoples concerns and request that the GT's try to give some feedback as soon as they're able to, please however try to continue to be patient as the focus in the next week is likely to be on getting the facitility ready to open asap.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Interesting to note that the Licence is actually held by Plymouth Argyle Football Club Limited. Liam McGuire is the Designated Premises Supervisor, ie. the person who runs the premises on behalf of the club. The only purpose of a DPS is, as the holder of an appropriate qualification, to authorise the sale of alcohol. So the use of the premises and any scheme for entry is a matter for the club. Do they know of the issues arising?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Vampires11":2sv9w9xt said:
I don't come to many hoe games, so was looking forward to visiting the "supporters" bar. Little did I realise it was only for the chosen few and is in fact a "members" bar.

Calling it a supporters bar is very misleading
I share both your view and your disappointment. As an occasional visitor I really thought that this was going to be a brilliant alternative to the Brit - closer to the ground and all the profit going to either the GT or Argyle. I would have even been happy to pay an entry fee on the door just to be amongst like-minded people. It doesn't stop me admiring the amazing stuff the GTs have done and will continue to do. I wish them every good fortune with it, but at the same time(on match day at least) the name "Supporters' Bar" has turned out to be a tad misleading.

Sep 25, 2010
memory man":1fsnl8ia said:
Vampires11":1fsnl8ia said:
I don't come to many hoe games, so was looking forward to visiting the "supporters" bar. Little did I realise it was only for the chosen few and is in fact a "members" bar.

I share both your view and your disappointment. As an occasional visitor I really thought that this was going to be a brilliant alternative to the Brit - closer to the ground and all the profit going to either the GT or Argyle. I would have even been happy to pay an entry fee on the door just to be amongst like-minded people. It doesn't stop me admiring the amazing stuff the GTs have done and will continue to do. I wish them every good fortune with it, but at the same time(on match day at least) the name "Supporters' Bar" has turned out to be a tad misleading.

Exactly my thoughts, MM, hoping to spend my money and use the ‘supporters bar’, before the match, instead of the overcrowded Brit. Give money to the Club, etc. Probably should be called the GT bar.

But now this seems unlikely.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Leeder":4ljea9a6 said:
Whilst I sympathise and understand the frustration over the lack of communication, please be aware that the GT's are flat out trying to get these new facilities ready as soon as possible.

This entails 12+ hour working days on site and has done for many weeks.

Obviously getting the physical build ready and completed has understandably taken priority, as without an open and fully functioning facitility, details of opening hours etc are meaningless.

I'm going to pass over peoples concerns and request that the GT's try to give some feedback as soon as they're able to, please however try to continue to be patient as the focus in the next week is likely to be on getting the facitility ready to open asap.

Nice one. Gnashing of teeth is not helpful. The GTs are a wonderful bunch of volunteers. Give them a break.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Whilst not seeking to be a representative or spokesman for this group, I have today written to the Club asking for clarification in the absence of other information, as follows:-

Use of new Supporters Bar

I write for clarification of the arrangements for the new Supporters Bar in respect of which the club has obtained a Premises Licence for the activities to be provided there. There is some concern amongst supporters as to whether they will have access, particularly on match days, as information is lacking on the actual intended use and access. It appears that, due to capacity issues, general access may not be available to most supporters as it appears that those who have contributed to the costs of establishing the facility will have priority entry, so excluding, in particular, those who travel a distance to Plymouth for games. The 'Fanfests' are of particular concern as these have been very popular, often oversubscribed, but not generally available except to those who are involved with the organisation or fortunate enough to be at one event and able to obtain a ticket for the next. The presence of away supporters at such events has proved to be popular, in view of the light hearted banter and, it seems, that this may not be possible unless away supporters are granted priority access above home fans. I can imagine a considerable degree of angst from long serving Argyle fans who will be denied entry in favour of, for example, Exeter supporters. Although there are a number of issues arising from the lack of information as to how the facilities will be made available to ordinary fans, I, for the moment, seek clarification on the following:-

1. Does the Club retain overall responsibility for the use of the premises as required by the terms of the Licensing Act 2003?
2. Is general access to the premises determined solely by the Green Taverners?
3. Is a membership scheme envisaged to determine entry?

Once I receive your response, I will pass the information on for greater understanding.

I am obliged for your time.

Sep 19, 2015
Martyn":2omg3cgx said:
memory man":2omg3cgx said:
Vampires11":2omg3cgx said:

Exactly my thoughts, MM, hoping to spend my money and use the ‘supporters bar’, before the match, instead of the overcrowded Brit. Give money to the Club, etc. Probably should be called the GT bar.

But now this seems unlikely.

I would say that "Supporters Bar" is perfectly apt Martyn. The only issue being that its for the supporters of the Green Taveners and not Plymouth Argyle.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Whilst i’ve been gnashing my teeth as much (if not more) as anyone I wish to acknowledge that the GTs’ partners and investors have every right to be given special privileges and even regular attendees of the fanfests should have consideration and priority for memberships etc, my grumbles are that firstly, there are others that wanted to attend fanfests before but were unable, due to capacity restrictions obtain tickets. The grumble is why will away fans take precedent over any single Argyle fan and if Argyle fans sell out the fests then it’s tough doo doo on foreigners.

The other possible grumble and this is the category I stumble into is that as someone who can’t guarantee when I can attend I would still like the “opportunity” to savour the new facilities. As such I am willing to pay a yearly membership fee which I know can’t guarantee access but would at least give me a fighting chance of getting in occasionally. This would hopefully be for the bottom bar but an opportunity anyway. Also, and hopeful that should the bar/club be open for prem games or world cups etc i’d like to feel welcome.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I've just found my notes from the original meeting when the plans were first made available. There was mention of a 5 year lease for the GTs during which time the investment would be repaid to those who put up the cash. From this, it can be assumed that the bar and upstairs area (originally stated to be for 'members') will have to raise money from people other than the GTs so entry to all seems to be essential. There were stated plans for the GTs to become a Co-operative Society, to take advantage of the tax advantages of mutually trading so that the monies can be repaid quicker. The Co-op is being designed to provide a constitution and voting rights. I amsure more info will be released as time goes on.

Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
Like others have said, I appreciate all of the fine work carried out by the GTs since they formed back in the dark days. However, the management of this new facility is turning into a PR own goal. To explain the GT's silence by saying they are all very busy really doesn't cut it. I refuse to believe that their plans for membership and access aren't very well known to the people who took whatever decision they arrived at and that such a person cannot find 5 minutes to tap out a few sentences on a keyboard. Sadly we seem to have a case of 'built by the few for the few' or another phrase that is often thrown around on these boards 'I'm a better fan than you'. I am sure it is now all too late for anything to change but at least stop treating the rest of us as mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed on poo)!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So let's get this right.

It would have been better if PAFC had built this, no membership and 2000 people queue up every game and 600 get in.

That wouldn't get any moans then would it? :facepalm:

Hi guys, I've managed to have a meeting with the GT's this morning to discuss some of the issues being raised on here and social media.

There will be an update published this afternoon that I hope will answer some of the questions.

I'll post the link as soon as its live.