Steven Schumacher aiming for three more new signings | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Steven Schumacher aiming for three more new signings

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
May has scored 38 goals in 102 appearances for CTFC over a 2 year period.

Jephcott has scored 33 goals on 103 appearances for Argyle over a 4 year period.
But how many minutes has Jephcott played? I’ll wager Alfie May has played considerably more minutes than Jephcott and has a worse goals to minutes ratio than Luke.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I guess it’s being prolific and consistent.

Mays stats look better than Jephcotts. They aren’t equal in the slightest.
In fact Alfie Mays career stats look far worse than Jephcotts

Luke Jephcott - 194.7 minutes per goal
Alfie May - 214.9 minutes per goal

May is 29, Jephcott is
even if he does the

scoring rate no better than Jephcott ??

May’s goal tally is similar to Jephcott, given. But May’s 38 goals is over 2 year period whilst Jephcotts 33 goals tally in over a 4 year period.
Jephcott is statisically is better than Alfie May. Fact.

Jephcott scores a goal every 194.7 minutes.
May scores a goal every 214.9.

Also considering Alfie May is 29 I don’t know why we’d entertain bringing in a striker to lessen the chances of game time to a player like Jephcott who is statisically more likely to score for us.

Reactions: boletus edulis

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wow I seem to be defeated.

You guys will likely get your wish of Jephcott being here over May but as a goal scorer Jephcott doesn’t do it for me.

He had a break through 18 goal season purple patch but the proof is in the repeats.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I guess it’s being prolific and consistent.

Mays stats look better than Jephcotts. They aren’t equal in the slightest.
Wrong. Jephcott is statistically more likely to score a goal than Alfie May is.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
League 1 free agents
James Norwood
Will grigg
Conor wickham
Saido berahino
Vadiane Oliver
John Marquis
Aaron holloway
And a few more some good strikers in there
Of that bunch Marquis could be a decent signing.

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Wow I seem to be defeated.

You guys will likely get your wish of Jephcott being here over May but as a goal scorer Jephcott doesn’t do it for me.

He had a break through 18 goal season purple patch but the proof is in the repeats.

I’m not saying Luke will repeat his goal scoring feat of that 18 goal season but I’m just defending him that I just don’t think he’s at bad as some on here might suggest. And I believe that Luke will score goals if he’s played with Hardie and has wing backs that play in early balls.

Sep 2, 2008
May’s worth can be found in his pace and movement which are two qualities Jephcott simply does not have. May will pull defenders and create space/ openings for other players to use.

You ask any defender if they would prefer to play against May or Jephcott and I’ll wager hands down that they choose Jephcott.

Dec 30, 2020
Next season… you have a choice of Jephcott OR May being at the club.

Which one would you pick?

Phrasing your question differently…

… what if Argyle were offered a 22 year old striker with 30 goals from 100ish games not including penalties, for free?

We’d think it was a gift from god!

Fans always underrate their own strikers and overrate others. There’s a mythology about 20 goal a season strikers, but when you have someone who gets there or close, that still means they’re not scoring from open play in 75% of games and often looking quite ordinary.

So sometimes they aren’t as appreciated as they should (see many Argyle fans’ opinions of Jephcott, Reuben Reid or Freddie Ladapo).

I haven’t seen much of May but Jephcott’s youth suggests he’s much the better bet, and I don’t think May is the type of striker we need.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Phrasing your question differently…

… what if Argyle were offered a 22 year old striker with 30 goals from 100ish games not including penalties, for free?

We’d think it was a gift from god!

Fans always underrate their own strikers and overrate others. There’s a mythology about 20 goal a season strikers, but when you have someone who gets there or close, that still means they’re not scoring from open play in 75% of games and often looking quite ordinary.

So sometimes they aren’t as appreciated as they should (see many Argyle fans’ opinions of Jephcott, Reuben Reid or Freddie Ladapo).

I haven’t seen much of May but Jephcott’s youth suggests he’s much the better bet, and I don’t think May is the type of striker we need.
Fwiw I rate Hardie highly when others don’t. I think he’s the best striker we have at the club and one of the most underrated players we’ve had in the past 10 years.

Ennis… technically brilliant but woefully underperforming.

Jephcott is at the level he is aspiring to be. He’s a poacher and will get goals but he’ll never be prolific.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I want to see these forwards with actually wing play service.

Remember, what Schumacher himself said yesterday. Milker is direct. Likes to get to the byline.

I’m sorry, but this is what we have been missing In our attacking play.

How can we judge these forwards on long balls against 6ft plus built CB’s with not great service into the box. Without, functioning wing backs the only way a 3-1-4-2 can work is play through the middle.

l don’t get this way we judge our forwards based on the quality of service they have been getting. If cross after cross goes into the box, and they aren’t getting on the end of it then fine its time to criticise.

Some people want Marquis. Well lm guessing that was based on him playing against us when he lined up for Lincoln. They got the ball out wide and got service into him. If he had the service that Hardie & Co got last season he would of struggled.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I want to see these forwards with actually wing play service.

Remember, what Schumacher himself said yesterday. Milker is direct. Likes to get to the byline.

I’m sorry, but this is what we have been missing In our attacking play.

How can we judge these forwards on long balls against 6ft plus built CB’s with not great service into the box. Without, functioning wing backs the only way a 3-1-4-2 can work is play through the middle.

l don’t get this way we judge our forwards based on the quality of service they have been getting. If cross after cross goes into the box, and they aren’t getting on the end of it then fine its time to criticise.

Some people want Marquis. Well lm guessing that was based on him playing against us when he lined up for Lincoln. They got the ball out wide and got service into him. If he had the service that Hardie & Co got last season he would of struggled.

Totally agree 👍

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Fwiw I rate Hardie highly when others don’t. I think he’s the best striker we have at the club and one of the most underrated players we’ve had in the past 10 years.

Ennis… technically brilliant but woefully underperforming.

Jephcott is at the level he is aspiring to be. He’s a poacher and will get goals but he’ll never be prolific.
I pretty much agree with all of that Tuggers.

Hardie is an excellent striker, and like you say, underrated.
Ennis infuriates me, he’s clearly talented, but his first touch is often woeful.
Jephcott blows hot and cold, and unfortunately when it’s the latter, the moaners come out in force.

Apr 4, 2004
May is a completely different type of player to Jephcott. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Jephcott is our fox in the box. Probably the best finisher at the club. He's also shown that he's an intelligent player and can link up the play well at times. May looks to me like a defenders nightmare. With his lively bright movement and abilty to travel with the ball. As well as linking up. Every time he gets the ball you get the feeling something is going to happen. Definitely one of the best players i saw at home park la season. Him and Jephcott would be good to see.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Jephcott the best finisher at the club?

Reactions: Alan Turing

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Jephcott the best finisher at the club?

I think I recall Shuey or Lowe (can’t remember which) has said previously that Jephcott is the most natural finisher at the club.