Stadium Improvements (including scoreboard) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stadium Improvements (including scoreboard)

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
The money simply wasn’t there at the time. We’ve been bankrupt once already, did you fancy another dabble?

And get a competent Project Manager...you know, one that knows how to read plans and can work out measurements from a plan?

It ain't rocket science but is a total PITA having to go Bakwards!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Can anyone fill me in on the issues with that grandstand. I’ve no idea what some are talking about.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I wonder if the club are reviewing the contracts with the original contractor.
Certain remedies are available in contract law if a contract is not 'performed specifically'

Sep 3, 2011
The money simply wasn’t there at the time. We’ve been bankrupt once already, did you fancy another dabble?
To me it looks so unfinished. The corners should have been done first. Are the changing rooms staying as they are?

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I get why Simon Hallett couldn't afford a super duper refurb but I remember a photo on the marvellous GOS redevelopment updates showing about 5 seats bolted on the open upper Mayflower stand before the roof was put on. They were obviously checking if they fit alright & all the comments on Pasoti were that it looked really cramped. If we could all see it through our untrained eyes why couldn't a project manager/surveyor/architect or whoever designed it see it ?????
Very very poor planning in my view & if I were Simon Hallett I would be livid.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Can anyone fill me in on the issues with that grandstand. I’ve no idea what some are talking about.

I think there's two issues.
A lack of leg room amongst the seats causing an uncomfortable experience for fans and secondly the concourse at the back of the stand being too narrow causing congestion when fans exit the stand or use the toilet etc, this has been compounded since Covid turned up and the need for space between people.

Reactions: Tugboat

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I get why Simon Hallett couldn't afford a super duper refurb but I remember a photo on the marvellous GOS redevelopment updates showing about 5 seats bolted on the open upper Mayflower stand before the roof was put on. They were obviously checking if they fit alright & all the comments on Pasoti were that it looked really cramped. If we could all see it through our untrained eyes why couldn't a project manager/surveyor/architect or whoever designed it see it ?????
Very very poor planning in my view & if I were Simon Hallett I would be livid.
My comment was in answer to ‘we should have built a new grandstand’

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
To me it looks so unfinished. The corners should have been done first. Are the changing rooms staying as they are?
Are you a Gillingham fan? If so, the irony of your comment has amused me!

But once again, the cost of the corners was in excess of £2m. The money wasn’t there to do it all.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think there's two issues.
A lack of leg room amongst the seats causing an uncomfortable experience for fans and secondly the concourse at the back of the stand being too narrow causing congestion when fans exit the stand or use the toilet etc, this has been compounded since Covid turned up and the need for space between people.
Easy fix for the seats.

The concourse not so but manageable with stadged exits?

I was expecting large scale structural issues with all the noise being made.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006

But once again, the cost of the corners was in excess of £2m. The money wasn’t there to do it all.
Yes I remember a figure of 2.2/2.4 millionish to do the corners and I guess that includes extending the grandstand roof forwards as wasn't that to be done at the same time?
Personally, I hope it is high up the "to do" list with capacity brought somewhere approaching 20,000. I know finances are tight but we will have a good million of unbudgeted income this season from the FA Cup and higher attendances.

Reactions: SWTT

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Easy fix for the seats.

The concourse not so but manageable with stadged exits?

I was expecting large scale structural issues with all the noise being made.

I think that’s the positive to take, that the core purpose and structure of the stand is sound. Which I know is a low bar.

Sounds like its going to be a case of replacing the terracing on the upper tier, and putting the seats back into the widened rows. And then an enlarged fan area in place of where the new offices are.

Obviously it’s a balls up to be ripping out new offices so soon, and I have no idea where the new NEW ones are going to go, but at least it will all result in a much better fan experience without massive structural work.

Reactions: Tugboat

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yes I remember a figure of 2.2/2.4 millionish to do the corners and I guess that includes extending the grandstand roof forwards as wasn't that to be done at the same time?
Personally, I hope it is high up the "to do" list with capacity brought somewhere approaching 20,000. I know finances are tight but we will have a good million of unbudgeted income this season from the FA Cup and higher attendances.

Yeah I think a Bobby’s Garden corner makes sense especially, but including a further hospitality area (or the whole corner is hospitality even) so it actually pays for itself. The reality is that standard seating won’t pay for itself.

And as you mention, the corners are the things that will structurally support a roof extension

Sep 3, 2011

Yes! And of course you're referring to the embarrassing 18 year old "temporary scaffold stand".

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
There you go then.

It’s there because your club have thought that they have more important things to spend their money on.