Sporting Lisbon and Morgan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sporting Lisbon and Morgan

Oct 10, 2018
This may not be a popular view but I don't think Whittaker is good enough (yet) for a top club. We know he has a wand of a left foot but his overall game is too one-dimensional to make him successful against top defenders.

His record against the best teams in our league this season has been poor - 1 goal and 1 assist in 10 games against Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton.

Someone will take a punt on him purely because of his goal tally, but in my view there isn't enough there to worry top-flight defenders.
Woodsey green - great post, that's a view I have had on Whittaker for a while now, he is an influential player for us but he needs a good foil to really threaten, the loss of Azaz as highlighted this.

There is no argument without Whittaker we would have been more likely relegated.

Yet £20 million plus add on's after just a single season at Championship level, this would make absolute sense for Argyle.

Argyle could put the £ 5 million add ons towards the expenses of Argyle club development, the £20 million if put into players budget, would help bring in two more versatile midfielders ( Tyler goodram), key CB position and bring in an extra goal threat up front, like Aziz at Reading

Jan 9, 2023
Some of the critique seems a bit harsh on whittaker. I can't be harsh because I was telling myself the same about Azaz when he left (and I was his number 1 fanboy!). It's only now he's gone it's glaringly obvious what a gulf he's left and just how good he was.

He definitely has the tools in his toolbox to beat a man he does it every game. He's strong, quick, has great vision, actually two good feet but a very good left foot, and seems bulletproof - he's played close to every minute of every game and has never had so much as a niggle. His touch is silky, he can find space in tight areas, he's very mobile and hunts space to receive the ball. He's only what, 23?

However since before Christmas and particularly since Azaz left other teams are fully aware he's basically our only threat. It's not just the lack of any quality attacking midfielders behind him who can spot a pass. He's double and triple marked every game, and never gets an inch of space. Against the top teams, in particular when we sit deep, he's often extremely isolated and is rarely given the ball so it's no bloomin wonder he's not been prolific against them! This is exacerbated by the 5 at the back we've been playing since Schuey left. It means even against teams like Rotherham he has to work very hard to get involved, and has been snatching any opportunity he gets as soon as he's within 20 yards of the opponent's box. He was still our match-winner in that game. His recent form is more a reflection of how low the quality of our squad is than anything else.

In spite of all this, and his recent struggles, he's still a rolls-royce of a player who stands out against any opposition. His, poise, touch, strength and balance standout a mile, he glides across the pitch. There's a reason his fellow pros have voted him into the team of the season. He'll learn how to play better in situations like he's been in with us, but I doubt he'll be in them again. I actually believe he'll get better playing with better players at a higher level, especially with the lower pace of the game almost anywhere else but the Championship more importantly not being the sole focus of any opponent's defensive gameplan. We'll have to be going some to replace him, that's for sure.

TaviGreen1990

✅ Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
This may not be a popular view but I don't think Whittaker is good enough (yet) for a top club. We know he has a wand of a left foot but his overall game is too one-dimensional to make him successful against top defenders.

His record against the best teams in our league this season has been poor - 1 goal and 1 assist in 10 games against Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton.

Someone will take a punt on him purely because of his goal tally, but in my view there isn't enough there to worry top-flight defenders.
I’m never totally sure when people suggest his record against better teams isn’t good enough. Quite often we are playing with 20-30% possession in those games and he’s being asked to perform a more defensive role too supporting the wingback. His record in a team that is down the bottom of the division is outstanding and will make him stand out. I’m not sure if he will go onto be a success or not but I’m definitely enjoying having him in free.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Some of the critique seems a bit harsh on whittaker. I can't be harsh because I was telling myself the same about Azaz when he left (and I was his number 1 fanboy!). It's only now he's gone it's glaringly obvious what a gulf he's left and just how good he was.

He definitely has the tools in his toolbox to beat a man he does it every game. He's strong, quick, has great vision, actually two good feet but a very good left foot, and seems bulletproof - he's played close to every minute of every game and has never had so much as a niggle. His touch is silky, he can find space in tight areas, he's very mobile and hunts space to receive the ball. He's only what, 23?

However since before Christmas and particularly since Azaz left other teams are fully aware he's basically our only threat. It's not just the lack of any quality attacking midfielders behind him who can spot a pass. He's double and triple marked every game, and never gets an inch of space. Against the top teams, in particular when we sit deep, he's often extremely isolated and is rarely given the ball so it's no bloomin wonder he's not been prolific against them! This is exacerbated by the 5 at the back we've been playing since Schuey left. It means even against teams like Rotherham he has to work very hard to get involved, and has been snatching any opportunity he gets as soon as he's within 20 yards of the opponent's box. He was still our match-winner in that game. His recent form is more a reflection of how low the quality of our squad is than anything else.

In spite of all this, and his recent struggles, he's still a rolls-royce of a player who stands out against any opposition. His, poise, touch, strength and balance standout a mile, he glides across the pitch. There's a reason his fellow pros have voted him into the team of the season. He'll learn how to play better in situations like he's been in with us, but I doubt he'll be in them again. I actually believe he'll get better playing with better players at a higher level, especially with the lower pace of the game almost anywhere else but the Championship more importantly not being the sole focus of any opponent's defensive gameplan. We'll have to be going some to replace him, that's for sure.
I completely agree with that. If we had the money to bring in other players of a similar calibre then he would get more space etc as we would no longer be one dimensional up front.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Sep 7, 2006
London
Why would we? He's worth every penny of that with his stats.
I don't disagree with you. Think we should play hardball for £20m and see what happens.

Just think in reality the club might find it hard to say no to £10-15m (+ future clauses, sell-on, etc.) - as so often mentioned by SH we have less £ than other clubs at this level, would be hard to improve the squad with the new TV deal money alone (if we stay up).

More broadly, the richer you are the easier it is to play hardball when selling a player right?

Reactions: KJC
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I get what you're saying, but his value to us is more than that. We'd get more than that with him staying and helping the club stay up, especially with Swansea getting a decent chunk. We've got where we are by being smarter, selling a player for a fraction of their worth isn't smarter.

Reactions: pafc jack
Jan 3, 2023
I see Morgan's athleticism as a symptom of [I assume] never having a bad injury. That's a combination of youth, taking proper care of his body, but also never getting stuck into challenges.

I know the risk of injury could curtail his effortless glide sround the pitch, but I'd like to see more bite and will to win back possession instead of letting players effortlessly go past him.

As for 1-dimensional, I wonder if this is a result of Argyle not having a strong centre forward upfront. No point beating a player down the line to cross if we can't rely on anyone to head it in, so no wonder he's always tempted to cut in and shoot.

Hope Argyle get some better players in next year to open up the space and passing options for Morgs so we can really see if his potential is firmly top league status for a decade...

Sep 6, 2006
I get what you're saying, but his value to us is more than that. We'd get more than that with him staying and helping the club stay up, especially with Swansea getting a decent chunk. We've got where we are by being smarter, selling a player for a fraction of their worth isn't smarter.
Not if we invest the money to strengthen the squad all round rather than relying on one player who is inconsistent. Anyway we won't get anywhere near 20m.

Oct 10, 2018

You forgot his greed and hanging onto posession far too long.

Spotted several times Hardie has got behind and Waine, should have slipped the pass but tried I worldy which few just over bar or done throat of goalie.

Not saying he is not talented, he has some great attributes but £25 million after a single season at this level is more than generous. If he reproduction this form of 20 goals plus for a 2nd season at this level then yes.