So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Old Gunner":1ozf5n7i said:
dunlop":1ozf5n7i said:
Old Gunner":1ozf5n7i said:
dunlop":1ozf5n7i said:
Don't worry we will soon be calling our game soccer.
A word changes nothing-a system that contributes to correct decision making could effect profound changes.

You are so correct it will change the beautiful game forever, this will be just the start.

I don't think it is always a beautiful game Dunlop. From corruption, racism, sexism and homophobia through to sexual abuse charges the game needs to take a look at itself on many levels--and I speak as someone who is and always has been passionate about football.

Can you name another sport or in that case any organisation that does not have the same problems it's unfortunate that's the society we live in.

Like you I'm passionate about football (the wife would say obsessed) it's a simple game being complicated by too many people in suits who justifying their exsistent.

Old Gunner":qn8emvbr said:
dunlop":qn8emvbr said:
Old Gunner":qn8emvbr said:
dunlop":qn8emvbr said:
A word changes nothing-a system that contributes to correct decision making could effect profound changes.

You are so correct it will change the beautiful game forever, this will be just the start.

I don't think it is always a beautiful game Dunlop. From corruption, racism, sexism and homophobia through to sexual abuse charges the game needs to take a look at itself on many levels--and I speak as someone who is and always has been passionate about football.

Spot on. It seems to me that two things have changed over the past twenty years, and game management needs to reflect this. Firstly the huge financial consequences of success or failure have now changed the game. Those financial consequences lead to more cheating, managerial outbursts leading to fines and bans. If VAR can change this trend, leading to greater fairness of outcomes, then a short break in play seems a price worth paying. Secondly the speed of the game at premiership level is such that it is incredibly unfair to rely on instant decision making by one fallible human being.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Jenko14":1is3e5wq said:
Old Gunner":1is3e5wq said:
Jenko14":1is3e5wq said:
Old Gunner":1is3e5wq said:
dunlop":1is3e5wq said:

But does that system do this? Football decisions are not black and white. Apart from goal line technology, I don’t see a fit use for it in the game.

Very little is black and white, but if you have a way of helping to make decisions that on the balance of probability are correct then surely you should at least consider it. I would have thought that the majority of offside decisions or penalty decisions (was it in the box or outside? was it a fail or a dive? was it handball?) could be aided by video technology. These are key decisions that can result in an unjust win/loss and might make the difference between e.g. qualifying for the world cup, being relegated or promoted, losing a cup final and so on. The ramifications of these incorrect decisions are sometimes vast. It also has a corrosive effect on player behaviour i.e. if they feel they can get away with cheating they will.

In fairness yes, offside decisions could certainly be aided. But outside of that I just can’t agree.

Take the Arsenal v Chelsea game last week. 50% of people would say that is a penalty, 50% would say it isn’t. What decision would have been made in that instance?

If the video evidence is inconclusive defer to the referee.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
dunlop":qk2dcda7 said:
Old Gunner":qk2dcda7 said:
Old Gunner":qk2dcda7 said:

Can you name another sport or in that case any organisation that does not have the same problems it's unfortunate that's the society we live in.

Like you I'm passionate about football (the wife would say obsessed) it's a simple game being complicated by too many people in suits who justifying their exsistent.

I don't disagree--been involved in sport all my life so better not get me started on racism at Augusta through to the bullying culture in elite sport. I could be on here all day. But football is my passion (like you) and we may agree to disagree---but I think the changes will come whatever we say.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
mervyn":3d9rb1fd said:
I see the test starts on Monday, and there’s no doubt in my mind it will be a success, and add to the excitement of the game. What I haven’t read anywhere is whether, if successful, it will be applied throughout the league. The technology is very cheap now, so that’s shouldn’t be a hindrance. Does anyone know?

Cheap? Really? Recently the Scottish Premier League said that they wouldn't be implementing goal-line technology due to the prohibitive costs, and to make the video-ref idea work you'd need a camera set-up similar to live broadcasts: a single camera on a gantry for game recording purposes won't be sufficient. And then at what level do you stop? At the moment in the English game goal-line technology only exists at the top two tiers: you could argue that clubs at that level could afford several cameras dotted around the pitch, plus a dedicated editing suite to pull-back the bits of footage the ref is interested in, but lower league clubs certainly can't.

Such technology may work in games where there are natural breaks in play (both rugby codes, American football, cricket, etc) but not in football. Also, for me, half of the fun about football is the post-match-down-the-pub discussion about whether a player was offside or not. You can put me in the anti-VAR camp :greensmile:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I'm prepared to see how it plays out but there are two things I hope it doesn't lead to.

Firstly, I would not like to see sin bins. All would happen is teams would go into sin bin mode, go all out defensive for the period and employ tactics to run down the clock.

And please, let's not go down the road of giving teams one review each half. The idea of technology is to get rid of all, if not most of the poor decisions but as we often see in cricket and tennis, once reviews have been used, poor decisions still occur, still alter matches and that somehow defeats the objective of having the technology available.

Nov 4, 2010
Leslie
Quinny":1rgjapk3 said:
mervyn":1rgjapk3 said:
I see the test starts on Monday, and there’s no doubt in my mind it will be a success, and add to the excitement of the game. What I haven’t read anywhere is whether, if successful, it will be applied throughout the league. The technology is very cheap now, so that’s shouldn’t be a hindrance. Does anyone know?

Cheap? Really? Recently the Scottish Premier League said that they wouldn't be implementing goal-line technology due to the prohibitive costs, and to make the video-ref idea work you'd need a camera set-up similar to live broadcasts: a single camera on a gantry for game recording purposes won't be sufficient. And then at what level do you stop? At the moment in the English game goal-line technology only exists at the top two tiers: you could argue that clubs at that level could afford several cameras dotted around the pitch, plus a dedicated editing suite to pull-back the bits of footage the ref is interested in, but lower league clubs certainly can't.

Such technology may work in games where there are natural breaks in play (both rugby codes, American football, cricket, etc) but not in football. Also, for me, half of the fun about football is the post-match-down-the-pub discussion about whether a player was offside or not. You can put me in the anti-VAR camp :greensmile:

I thought that the editing suite for tonight's game was at Wembley Stadium, 70 miles away from the game.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Old Gunner":n454h5r4 said:
Jenko14":n454h5r4 said:
Old Gunner":n454h5r4 said:
dunlop":n454h5r4 said:

But does that system do this? Football decisions are not black and white. Apart from goal line technology, I don’t see a fit use for it in the game.

Very little is black and white, but if you have a way of helping to make decisions that on the balance of probability are correct then surely you should at least consider it. I would have thought that the majority of offside decisions or penalty decisions (was it in the box or outside? was it a fail or a dive? was it handball?) could be aided by video technology. These are key decisions that can result in an unjust win/loss and might make the difference between e.g. qualifying for the world cup, being relegated or promoted, losing a cup final and so on. The ramifications of these incorrect decisions are sometimes vast. It also has a corrosive effect on player behaviour i.e. if they feel they can get away with cheating they will.

This for me. I think VAR would give power back to the referee and bring the players back into line. Everything is debated these days, throw ins, corners, did he hold him back 5 minutes before the goal. Players argue eveything.. jeez, the fact that pundits have this technology and use it to slag of the referee to me means that the referee should also have access to it. SSN even make a feature out of Dermot Gallagher commenting on every contentious refereeing decision each game.

I think it could work if the video was watched by another official in real time who could advise on the incident (or indeed something the ref hadn't seen). I don't like the appeal notion as i cant see that working. The breadth of things you could appeal for is too vast and would cause too many hold ups in play. It should be the video ref having a holistic view of the game and if anything untoward had happened relay this to the referee. Otherwise it is a resource for the referee for clarification for big decisions as he sees fit.

Linesman seem too afraid to make a call these days and the guys on the goal line are a waste of space. I'd rather have a single ref on the field and one in the stands watching the game on TV screens. If we need a guy running the line waving a flag for traditional purposes, so be it.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
This will be the tip of the iceberg the sales executives of the TVs company's are rubbing their hands together seeing a 10/15 second slot for an advert they will have offer a few bucks and they will have their hands bitten off.

The game will not restart until the TVs producer gives the Ok some people now do not realise that the TVs producer dictates the start of most of the games.

Yes there a few decisions the referees get wrong and you could argue they even themselves out over the course of the season and I bet there will still be controversy when the ref sticks to his original decision.

Once we are on this slippery slope the beautiful game will be really lost forever.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It will be interesting watching the game tonight if the VAR comes into play.

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Watched the Notts Forest v Arsenal game yesterday.
One ref ,one linesman ,two commentators and eight cameras could not make a positive decision.
Did he or did he not ; in the end the REFEREE (dictionary meaning look it up)made a decision.
As for crowding the ref yellow cards all round until the team is down to not enough players and they lose the game.
Sorry but simple answers are not suitable for the present day.
Rant over other wise I will be on all day. :whistle: