So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref)

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Video Assistant Referee is used over here in ice hockey for a number of decisions. in the CFL each team is allowed one challenge to a refs decision and VAR is used to confirm or override the refs decision. It is also used in the NFL and college football. Last summer the USL soccer had each team had one game where they tested VAR in the game that here in Ottawa the VAR was available it was never tested.

In the NHL I have seen the VAR used where the review took seconds and others up to 5 mins, In soccer (football) I can see the only need to use VAR would be for goal decisions.

Jun 4, 2016
ChepstowGreen":16jx2h91 said:
Pilgrim78":16jx2h91 said:
ChepstowGreen":16jx2h91 said:
100% gets my vote, and would be long overdue too.

Why do you think it would improve the game?

Because there would be fewer miscarriages of justice/wrong results. If the pay off is the occasional break in play, then that is more than reasonable to me.

I agree with that and also it would hopefully cut out some of the diving.

I just worry that it might take some of the discussion and excitement out of the game for us fans. After all it is great when a blatent one goes our way sometimes!!

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
It was used in the latter half of the MLS season last year has has been introduced to the German, Italian and Portuguese leagues this season. I have a couple of comments.

1. The time wasted does not always get added on at the end of the game. For example, the average amount of stoppage time is 3-4 minutes, combined with the review process which can take 3-4 minutes there should be AT LEAST 6-8 minutes added on. However games I have watched have only added around 5 minutes extra, so football time is getting lost.

2. The decisions are debatable anyway. It is down to two officials decisions as to what comes about of the review, which as we all know, may not be the 'correct' decision.

3. Players are surrounding the ref asking for reviews to be taken, which in turn takes more time out the game if the ref has to stop play.

4. It really does stop the flow of some games, especially those with a few key decisions in.

We need some kind of technology, as it works wonders in cricket, but I feel VAR in it's current state is not it.

To combat point 3, each team could have a review to use and only say the captain can use it. The same principle as cricket where if you are correct in appealing the decision you keep the review. (I think OG mentioned this....)?

To me that seems the best option in the present time, to have a review system which removes the dubious nature of whether or not the ref is going to use the VAR system....

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
It would have saved Wenger GBP40,000!

It would also give the "5th official" the opportunity to advise the referee of off the ball incidents. The ref would be able to see the offence and act accordingly.

The only problem that I can see is if referees use the facility as a matter of course, instead of making their own decisions.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Long overdue and a subject guaranteed to get me on my soapbox. The essence of sport is fairness (a bit corinthian I know) and football has been tarnished by bad decisions, corruption, player diving etc. etc. Technology will help to ensure that the right decisions are made and that clubs do not lose games or revenue because of incorrect decisions. The instances in which technology are used (and how often) need to be thought about carefully but we have to start somewhere. I would add that referees need to be given greater powers---I am so fed up with the nonsense that footballers get up to. I would love to see yellow cards accompanied by a 10 minute sin binning for example. Football, like other sports, has to evolve---players and managers have found ways of taking advantage of the current rules--so time for the current rules and the way we 'do things' to change.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Old Gunner":2ygcmz70 said:
Long overdue and a subject guaranteed to get me on my soapbox. The essence of sport is fairness (a bit corinthian I know) and football has been tarnished by bad decisions, corruption, player diving etc. etc. Technology will help to ensure that the right decisions are made and that clubs do not lose games or revenue because of incorrect decisions. The instances in which technology are used (and how often) need to be thought about carefully but we have to start somewhere. I would add that referees need to be given greater powers---I am so fed up with the nonsense that footballers get up to. I would love to see yellow cards accompanied by a 10 minute sin binning for example. Football, like other sports, has to evolve---players and managers have found ways of taking advantage of the current rules--so time for the current rules and the way we 'do things' to change.

Oh yes please!

That would soon put a stop to the crap!

Those that seek to "bully" the ref? 10 mins in the bin! Love it!

Diving? Yellow card and bin.

Down to 9 men? Tough sh!t, sort your team out!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Don't worry we will soon be calling our game soccer.

Aug 2, 2011
Probably not going to be to be at HP in near future. Not cheap to install around 5million I am told. Unless ELF.impose then going to be long way off.

Jan 22, 2016
Old Gunner":3d0patjp said:
dunlop":3d0patjp said:
A word changes nothing-a system that contributes to correct decision making could effect profound changes.

But does that system do this? Football decisions are not black and white. Apart from goal line technology, I don’t see a fit use for it in the game.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Old Gunner":siwy1h52 said:
dunlop":siwy1h52 said:
A word changes nothing-a system that contributes to correct decision making could effect profound changes.

You are so correct it will change the beautiful game forever, this will be just the start.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Jenko14":2gfvtwz2 said:
Old Gunner":2gfvtwz2 said:
dunlop":2gfvtwz2 said:

But does that system do this? Football decisions are not black and white. Apart from goal line technology, I don’t see a fit use for it in the game.

Very little is black and white, but if you have a way of helping to make decisions that on the balance of probability are correct then surely you should at least consider it. I would have thought that the majority of offside decisions or penalty decisions (was it in the box or outside? was it a fail or a dive? was it handball?) could be aided by video technology. These are key decisions that can result in an unjust win/loss and might make the difference between e.g. qualifying for the world cup, being relegated or promoted, losing a cup final and so on. The ramifications of these incorrect decisions are sometimes vast. It also has a corrosive effect on player behaviour i.e. if they feel they can get away with cheating they will.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
dunlop":3qs2cje1 said:
Old Gunner":3qs2cje1 said:
dunlop":3qs2cje1 said:

You are so correct it will change the beautiful game forever, this will be just the start.

I don't think it is always a beautiful game Dunlop. From corruption, racism, sexism and homophobia through to sexual abuse charges the game needs to take a look at itself on many levels--and I speak as someone who is and always has been passionate about football.

Jan 22, 2016
Old Gunner":1hjujvhj said:
Jenko14":1hjujvhj said:
Old Gunner":1hjujvhj said:
dunlop":1hjujvhj said:

Very little is black and white, but if you have a way of helping to make decisions that on the balance of probability are correct then surely you should at least consider it. I would have thought that the majority of offside decisions or penalty decisions (was it in the box or outside? was it a fail or a dive? was it handball?) could be aided by video technology. These are key decisions that can result in an unjust win/loss and might make the difference between e.g. qualifying for the world cup, being relegated or promoted, losing a cup final and so on. The ramifications of these incorrect decisions are sometimes vast. It also has a corrosive effect on player behaviour i.e. if they feel they can get away with cheating they will.

In fairness yes, offside decisions could certainly be aided. But outside of that I just can’t agree.

Take the Arsenal v Chelsea game last week. 50% of people would say that is a penalty, 50% would say it isn’t. What decision would have been made in that instance?