So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":2e5pi5oy said:
If his knee-cap is a centimetre off, is that offside? Because the rules say the benefit of the doubt is with the attacker, so how does that now work? The list goes on and on and on.

Technically yes, it is offside. The Laws do not say to give the benefit of doubt to the attacker. The term used is "closer to the opponent's goal-line......" and therefore if you are closer to the goal-line even by a millimetre you can be in an offside position. That's where the line is drawn and it would be even more confusing if there was say a 10, 20, or even 30 centimetre leeway.

In the Guide to interpretation of the laws of the game though, it suggests that if an official has doubt on an offside call, benefit should be given to the attacking team. They will now say that with VAR, that doubt can be removed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Well it is being well and truly tested at Anfield tonight. Whatever the argument about how long these decisions are taking, surely the time needs to be added on at the end of the half.

We have had three incidents where VAR has been used in the first half including the penalty award which took 4 minutes. There was also two injuries that required treatment, two substitutions and three goals before the board went up. By my calculations there should have been at least 8 but the fourth official displayed just 4.

Lundan Cabbie":3v4nkun1 said:
Well it is being well and truly tested at Anfield tonight. Whatever the argument about how long these decisions are taking, surely the time needs to be added on at the end of the half.

We have had three incidents where VAR has been used in the first half including the penalty award which took 4 minutes. There was also two injuries that required treatment, two substitutions and three goals before the board went up. By my calculations there should have been at least 8 but the fourth official displayed just 4.

I’m broadly in favour of VAR, but disappointed it’s not used in the same way as the NFL. There, the on-pitch ref shows he wants a VAR decision, and within seconds the panel viewing the screen give him a decision. At Anfield we had the ref going over to the side to view the screen, so inevitably the whole thing was very slow.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
mervyn":12eu45k1 said:
Lundan Cabbie":12eu45k1 said:

I’m broadly in favour of VAR, but disappointed it’s not used in the same way as the NFL. There, the on-pitch ref shows he wants a VAR decision, and within seconds the panel viewing the screen give him a decision. At Anfield we had the ref going over to the side to view the screen, so inevitably the whole thing was very slow.

I agree. It is still a trial at the end of the day.

Jan 6, 2007
mervyn":1defspsr said:
Lundan Cabbie":1defspsr said:

Do they, I've watched the on field ref go to a monitor and review the play countless times in the NFL recently, I also saw a review take at least 2 minutes and endless replays before deciding on a decision recently late in a play off game involving the Bills, when the decision was made it still wasn't agreed on by those in the studio. All this in a sport with natural breaks in play

Dec 3, 2005
I feel that the matches in todays FA Cup 4th round were not played on a level playing field - why was the Liverpool v WBA the only apparent game that used the VAR technology? This in my opinion makes it unfair to all the other teams playing, who feel that they were on the wrong end of a decision made solely by the Ref.

If your going to have a competition, it should be played to the same rules for everyone.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":3dr0jjnx said:
I feel that the matches in todays FA Cup 4th round were not played on a level playing field - why was the Liverpool v WBA the only apparent game that used the VAR technology? This in my opinion makes it unfair to all the other teams playing, who feel that they were on the wrong end of a decision made solely by the Ref.

If your going to have a competition, it should be played to the same rules for everyone.

They will argue that the rules are the same though. It is just that the referee can call upon more resources at some games. Even with VAR the on field referee's decision is final. That still remains.