Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment

Feb 8, 2005
my understanding is that the club are going to have a turnover of £24/25m this season. A staggering increase.

However, costs to generate this are also £24/25 million. A staggering increase.

if we are relegated our income will inevitably go down.

So either our costs go down or someone makes up the shortfall.

anyone who thinks relegation is not a major issue needs to consider this.
Someone makes up the shortfall!

Who might that be then?

Hallett won't be putting any more money in for the time being, he has to cover the costs at Brickfields, and any investor will not throw his money away on players.

We are hoping to becoming a sustainable football club, hopefully in the Championship.

We will just have to cut our cloth accordingly, easier in Div 1 of course.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Freedom of thought, not freedom of speech - important distinction.

Anyway, will leave it there.

Regarding freedom of thought l don't know how that would be stoped.I can have freedom of thought at any point. The only people that would stop you from thinking about something is yourself.

The difficulty is when that thought is then expressed in the public domain. Thats when it's put in an environment where it needs to remain respectful to others.

Like you might think lm an idiot for having these certain views. You don't say it though. And l think this shows you can have a freedom of thought still but remain respectful.

Good debate though Frank.

Jan 27, 2006
Someone makes up the shortfall!

Who might that be then?

Hallett won't be putting any more money in for the time being, he has to cover the costs at Brickfields, and any investor will not throw his money away on players.

We are hoping to becoming a sustainable football club, hopefully in the Championship.

We will just have to cut our cloth accordingly, easier in Div 1 of course.
We’re officially a sustainable Championship club. We‘re onto a new plan mission now.

How sustainable it is for Argyle to be a Championship club in L1 may yet remain to be proven.

Oct 23, 2013
There is a big wide world out there.Perhaps we're not looking in the right places. Stoke appear to have gone Dutch
Maybe, I understand the concept, but again it is easier said than done. I will believe it when I see it otherwise I will continue to feel the scope for this is overstated, wishful thinking even.

Investing in the long term by developing the club infrastructure and/or attracting new investment are more plausible to me and I think SH is trying this. If we can make progress there and fight for our lives in the meantime then hopefully we can progress but there are no easy fixes.

Apr 2, 2024
Regarding freedom of thought l don't know how that would be stoped.I can have freedom of thought at any point. The only people that would stop you from thinking about something is yourself.

The difficulty is when that thought is then expressed in the public domain. Thats when it's put in an environment where it needs to remain respectful to others.

Like you might think lm an idiot for having these certain views. You don't say it though. And l think this shows you can have a freedom of thought still but remain respectful.

Reminds me of a joke

Player: Ref, can you send me off for what I think?
Ref: Of course not.
Player: Then I think you’re a c0ck!

Oct 23, 2013
my understanding is that the club are going to have a turnover of £24/25m this season. A staggering increase.

Ouch! I think I have become less relaxed about the prospect of relegation.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021

Player sales ??

I don't think we will get over 10 million for Whittaker. Especially if relegated. Yet surely this is how we make up any financial shortfalls.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
The financial gap between us and the non-parachute payment teams in the Championship will change over time as the EFL's Profit & Sustainability Rules begin to bite (see below). This January window was the first evidence of the impact as many Championship teams chasing the Premiership dream drew their horns in in term of transfer fees and additional wages. It is already having an impact in the Premiership with points deductions and it will too in the Championship as the full impact of losses over a three year period unfold.

Year by year the financial gap will close if we can significantly increase our player trading income to the sort of levels our non-parachute payment competitors are achieving. It is the only way to close the gap without significant external investment. Capacity increases will assist but increasingly capacity and boosting gate income will become a smaller proportion of turnover. They are capital rich too with a long pay back time.

We achieved the last 5-year plan ahead of schedule despite some initial scepticism. This time, if we can stay up, the aim of the 5-year plan is to sneak into the last play off place with a 25% of success of making the Premiership is not unrealistic either, as year by year the comparative disadvantage dissipates but it will take player trading and the success of the Academy to do so.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Jul 12, 2016
The financial gap between us and the non-parachute payment teams in the Championship will change over time as the EFL's Profit & Sustainability Rules begin to bite (see below). This January window was the first evidence of the impact as many Championship teams chasing the Premiership dream drew their horns in in term of transfer fees and additional wages. It is already having an impact in the Premiership with points deductions and it will too in the Championship as the full impact of losses over a three year period unfold.

Year by year the financial gap will close if we can significantly increase our player trading income to the sort of levels our non-parachute payment competitors are achieving. It is the only way to close the gap without significant external investment. Capacity increases will assist but increasingly capacity and boosting gate income will become a smaller proportion of turnover. They are capital rich too with a long pay back time.

We achieved the last 5-year plan ahead of schedule despite some initial scepticism. This time, if we can stay up, the aim of the 5-year plan is to sneak into the last play off place with a 25% of success of making the Premiership is not unrealistic either, as year by year the comparative disadvantage dissipates but it will take player trading and the success of the Academy to do so.

We are relying heavily on an academy producing excellent players for the future and this is going to take years to bear fruit.
In addition there are no guarantees that we will make the millions needed by player trading. Looking at our current squad the majority of our recent signings are unlikely to make us that much money. Since the start of the season the value of Cooper, Hardie and Whittaker has also dropped. Interesting times!

Reactions: Harry

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

I know I said I’d leave it there and maybe this isn’t the place, but …

The concern I have is the influence that can be so easily achieved these days. As I say it’s always been a part of humanity and has been abused on many occasions - most obviously of course through the great dictators. Today, we have young minds (in particular) being twisted all over social media and we see the same approaches being used in mainstream media. You could look at politically motivated TV channels or individuals who have a habit of telling people what they should be thinking - someone like Nihal Arthaneyeke as an example who’s style grinds my gears. I switch him off because I don’t want to routinely be told what I should be thinking, I and everyone else can do that for themselves. Persuading through argument or debate is very different to being told per se.

So, when we see someone posting things on social media that we find offensive, distasteful or just plain wrong (i.e. in this case about Argyle and its representatives) then I think we have to accept those views - accepting that to those people they are logical and rational. Persuade yes, but I think it’s wrong to be dismissive and/or blatantly corrective (not aimed at you BTW). People think differently and we have to celebrate that - with all its absurdities.

I don’t think you’re an idiot BTW 😀. I find your arguments well reasoned for the most part and your football views (at the moment) are very aligned with mine. Anyway, it doesn’t matter about me, you can think for yourself 😉.

Reactions: MGM

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
If so, it will be good to see our former midfielder, who rather than renew his contract headed back North for family reasons.

That’s if he signs a new deal with them

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
We are relying heavily on an academy producing excellent players for the future and this is going to take years to bear fruit.
In addition there are no guarantees that we will make the millions needed by player trading. Looking at our current squad the majority of our recent signings are unlikely to make us that much money. Since the start of the season the value of Cooper, Hardie and Whittaker has also dropped. Interesting times!
I don't think their values would have dropped from the start of the season at all.

Mike Cooper was injured at that point, and the attacking players were always going to streaky playing in a struggling team, yet between them they have scored 31 goals, a total only bettered so far by Adam Armstrong and Che Adams at Southampton based on the top two scorers at each club in the league. It's likely that Leeds' top two scorers will overtake them, but that will only be after 45 or 46 games!

Even accounting for the last 6-8 games, prior to that both of them had regularly contributed goals and/or assists, so their values would only even arguably have dropped from the middle of the season, at which point they simply had to be worth more than they were back in the summer, when neither of them had really ever featured at this level before.

Reactions: Freshford Green