Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
In life l think we can often look back at some sort of "sliding doors" moment.

After 5 fantastic years, where we only had to witness 3/4 months under Lowe stuttering his way to league one survival, we have had the most enjoyable, successful run as fans. Spoilt by incredible home park winning runs. Or by sheer brillance of individual moments of quality.

It would be wrong not to point out that not everything has been perfect. Like the seating issues in the Mayflower, but the club has mostly got everything spot on.

But l do wonder if relegation were to happen, does that change Simon Hallett's thinking in anyway? Even if we do survive, what are the lessons we can take both on & off the field.

It's been in the press, that we are talking to investors. People with alot of money generally want their opinion heard. I think this is why some members of Argyle Green decided investment wasn't for them as visions to move our club forward were not shared.

For me, this point here is bigger than a relegation. As unlike some l believe with the right investors on board, a good selection of a new manager and learning from the mistakes we made this year can actually put us in a good place to attack league one, if we don't survive.

My worry is if we survive, and then brush it off like this was a one-off, and we dust ourselves down to go again. To think we could just take on this league with not only youngsters, but inexperienced ones at this level, seems the biggest oversight. Especially, when starting a season with a manager who's never managed at this level & then hiring a head-coach with even less experience of league football.

Yet, what if our budget dictates this is the only path possible to us? That other options aren't viable without larger financial help? This is where l do wonder if Simon Hallett's own personal experiences from this season have changed his mind in anyway.

Make no mistake. I don't want a change in ownership. If we can't afford to compete in the championship l would rather we get relegated than change our ownership model. That is because l love how the club is run. Yet how many other fans would give up the dream of sustainable championship football in return for a investor with deeper pockets to take over?

And this is where l feel is our sliding doors moment. Bigger than whether we stay up. Bigger than who the next manager is. The biggest moment will be who Argyle can get onboard as an investor & whether that investor is happy to wait in the wings for a few years. I always believed the story with Simon Hallett was going to have a happy ending. Unfortunately, that story was going to be a long one with slow, but continued sustainable growth off the field whilst hitting a few bumps regarding onfield matters. This is one of those bumps.

Yet when this season is over, the really important part of Argyle's next chapter begins. Whilst many will be focused solely on the next manager believing its the answer to where this club is heading, and maybe this is true in the short term, the ownership solution will be the definitive answer to what direction this club heads in from here.

Our end game vision needs a partner for Simon Hallett so this club can finally have its moment to shine with the big boys. Is there somebody out there with deep pockets that can buy into Simon Halllet's vision & values. This is the 64 dollar question.

l never believed this journey wouldn't have set backs. And still believe we are in a favourable position to survive. Yet should the worse happen l still believe in the man that got us here. Should relegation happen we still are building brickfields. And we will still look to improve infrastructure around the club albeit in a slower fashion.

I don't quite see the negative outlook like some. Relegation won't stop be from being excited about our future. It just puts a spanner in the works. The club will still look to make improvements. And for a football club our size, the idea that your club is evolving even if it's not at the pace you want it to be can be very satisfying.

Last edited:

Old Brown

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 10, 2020
Wadebridge
A typically thoughtful and well balanced piece. Regardless of what happens in our next two games and those of our relegation rivals, let us hope SH is aware that many fans (I cannot speak for all fans) consider under his stewardship the club is on the right path. Relegation would be disappointing but we are still in a good place on a number of fronts.

Feb 10, 2024

After 5 fantastic years, where we only had to witness 3/4 months under Lowe stuttering his way to league one survival, we have had the most enjoyable, successful run as fans. Spoilt by incredible home park winning runs. Or by sheer brillance of individual moments of quality.

It would be wrong not to point out that not everything has been perfect. Like the seating issues in the Mayflower, but the club has mostly got everything spot on.

But l do wonder if relegation were to happen, does that change Simon Hallett's thinking in anyway? Even if we do survive, what are the lessons we can take both on & off the field.

It's been in the press, that we are talking to investors. People with alot of money generally want their opinion heard. I think this is why some members of Argyle Green decided investment wasn't for them as visions to move our club forward were not shared.

For me, this point here is bigger than a relegation. As unlike some l believe with the right investors on board, a good selection of a new manager and learning from the mistakes we made this year can actually put us in a good place to attack league one, if we don't survive.

My worry is if we survive, and then brush it off like this was a one-off, and we dust ourselves down to go again. To think we could just take on this league with not only youngsters, but inexperienced ones at this level, seems the biggest oversight. Especially, when starting a season with a manager who's never managed at this level & then hiring a head-coach with even less experience of league football.

Yet, what if our budget dictates this is the only path possible to us? That other options aren't viable without larger financial help? This is where l do wonder if Simon Hallett's own personal experiences from this season have changed his mind in anyway.

Make no mistake. I don't want a change in ownership. If we can't afford to compete in the championship l would rather we get relegated than change our ownership model. That is because l love how the club is run. Yet how many other fans would give up the dream of sustainable championship football in return for a investor with deeper pockets to take over?

And this is where l feel is our sliding doors moment. Bigger than whether we stay up. Bigger than who the next manager is. The biggest moment will be who Argyle can get onboard as an investor & whether that investor is happy to wait in the wings for a few years. Unfortunately, l always believed the story with Simon Hallett was going to have a happy ending. Unfortunately, that story was going to be a long one with slow, but continued sustainable growth off the field whilst hitting a few bumps regarding onfield matters. This is one of those bumps.

Yet when this season is over, the really important part of Argyle's next chapter begins. Whilst many will be focused solely on the next manager believing its the answer to where this club is heading, and maybe this is true in the short term, the ownership solution will be the definitive answer to what direction this club heads in from here.

Our end game vision needs a partner for Simon Hallett so this club can finally have its moment to shine with the big boys. Is there somebody out there with deep pockets that can buy into Simon Halllet's vision & values. This is the 64 dollar question.

l never believed this journey wouldn't have set backs. And still believe we are in a favourable position to survive. Yet should the worse happen l still believe in the man that got us here. Should relegation happen we still are building brickfields. And we will still look to improve infrastructure around the club albeit in a slower fashion.

I don't quite see the negative outlook like some. Relegation won't stop be from being excited about our future. It just puts a spanner in the works. The club will still look to make improvements. And for a football club our size, the idea that your club is evolving even if it's not at the pace you want it to be can be very satisfying.
Brickfields needs to be a priority so we have good facilities for the the whole set up. Training at different schools and games all over the shop is no good for the young talent and all involved.
Also big money doesn’t mean success so the sustainable plan is a good one 👍

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Excellent post, with which I thoroughly agree; but if we do get an investor I would hope for a tad more than that...

Oct 19, 2021
I do wonder whether Simon has investment lined up on the basis that we retain our Championship status. He has talked about getting investment this summer if possible and I do feel that his reaction in the changing room after the Leicester game was more than just happiness at the result itself. I am probably reading too much into that though.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I am admittedly one of those supporters who thinks game to game rather than era to era, I get a bit too high when we win and I get bit too low when we lose, I sometimes put that down to the fact that I’ve coached and worked in the game - where things come thick and fast and you don’t often have time to think beyond the present. The above is a typically excellent and a thought provoking post from MGM and I do wish I could think in the same way.

Oct 10, 2018

And this is where l feel is our sliding doors moment. Bigger than whether we stay up. Bigger than who the next manager is. The biggest moment will be who Argyle can get onboard as an investor & whether that investor is happy to wait in the wings for a few years. Unfortunately, l always believed the story with Simon Hallett was going to have a happy ending. Unfortunately, that story was going to be a long one with slow, but continued sustainable growth off the field whilst hitting a few bumps regarding onfield matters. This is one of those bumps.

You make lots of greats points in which.i can relate, however what is a very important unknown factor is were the conditions of the investor and how much being invested based upon what league we ended the season in.

Secondly I believe this many fans major concern with regulation thus season, is the huge broadcasting and advertising revenues in championship next season, if we're to regretfully get relegated but get promoted immediately, the gulf between Championship and L1 has widened again financially, and this makes being competitive and remaining in the Championship fir more than.a single season even more difficult to achieve, survive and the finds next season will.help us.

So no I don't see regulation as a soft blow but a significant one,

Reactions: yorkiegreen

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I am admittedly one of those supporters who thinks game to game rather than era to era, I get a bit too high when we win and I get bit too low when we lose, I sometimes put that down to the fact that I’ve coached and worked in the game - where things come thick and fast and you don’t often have time to think beyond the present. The above is a typically excellent and a thought provoking post from MGM and I do wish I could think in the same way.
Splendid, if somewhat surprising, reaction.

Jan 6, 2004
A big reason we all follow a football team is for the emotional highs (and the necessary accompanying emotional lows) adding a spark to our generally flatter day to day lives. There is nothing wrong as a fan with feeling these match to match ups and downs. We all have to think long term and plan in respect of our own lives, frankly, what I enjoy about watching football is letting go of all that and focussing on the moment. I dont want to be worrying about next season or five seasons time, I want to be worrying about beating Millwall...

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021

I wasn't sure whether to respond because l don't really know you apart from reading your comments.

I don't think there is anything wrong with passion & emotion. In fact l would say these are two key attributes as to why we connect to football in the way we do. I read your comments & l know like many of us they come from a place of frustation. We just want this football club to blossom into something many of us dreamt about. I don't think there is much wrong with this as long as it doesn't cross a certain line.

Where l get annoyed with people is personal abuse. Why on earth do that? If you can't keep it about football then don't say anything. Yet people do. Some fans are complete idiots because they lost the art of communication & instead turn it into social media venting.

Most will know l don't rate Jordan Houghton. However, that doesn't mean l don't respect him. The guy is one of very few people who get to play professional football at a high level. To do this you got to have the right character & a certain skillset to make it. He is probably a really nice bloke. I just make sure when l talk about him it's in regards to football & how l want this club to keep on evolving. There is a way of talking about people that can remain respectful.

In two weeks time, l can guarantee you if we go down there will be an outpouring of emotional venting. I even think there will be a few people stupid enough to say Simon Hallett needs to move on.

There is no logic or rational to what some people say on social media. There is often just a ramblings of words because their emotions get the better of them. Yet, if your really lucky you get posts like you just made where people will understand where your coming from. Just by thinking about your actions you wrote a thought provoking piece about how you reacted to Saturday's game. Not many people would be prepared to open themselves up on social media in that way.

Last edited:

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
SH our wonderful Custodian who is also a passionate fan of our beloved unique club
He has done so much in his tenure - it has never been about him it has always been about our unique gem of a club
The way he goes about his business , his transparency is a breathe of fresh air compared to the infamous,devious,conniving,financial manipulation used by other Football Chairman's in the EFL/PL

Kieran Maguire- the extremely qualified Football Finance Expert is always waxing lyrical about our Custodian & how he runs our Club the right way

SH & his trusted team knew the struggles we would face this season but he has never deviated from his ethos & ethics

He has been dealt unexpected curve balls with a certain person leaving who also chose to gut the backroom staff at the most difficult time of the season

He has had the 87 day tenure to also navigate whilst having to grapple with the actions of a man who he thought was a close friend

He has had his fingers burnt with Argyle Green & he is probably more wary regarding the type of characters he considers who will be suitable investors to share his ethos & ethics regarding the guardianship of our unique,special club

When i read other people's comments regarding how he should spend his money- SH is not in the mould of a flight of fancy, speculate to accumulate, boom or bust, financial manipulation to avoid the wrath of the EFL as other unscrupulous Chairman he is all about gradual, steady as you go year on year growth

Spending all our money on silly transfer fees & outlandish wages is not going to guarantee success - it may have a moment of instant gratification as we show to the wider football world we can try & compete with the big boys but it is not sustainable

SH & his trusted team would have learnt a lot this season & when they do their post mortem of the season just gone they will say the season has been tough probably tougher than they originally thought but they will learn from whatever shortcomings they deem was caused by their decision making

Sep 11, 2023
SH our wonderful Custodian who is also a passionate fan of our beloved unique club
He has done so much in his tenure - it has never been about him it has always been about our unique gem of a club
The way he goes about his business , his transparency is a breathe of fresh air compared to the infamous,devious,conniving,financial manipulation used by other Football Chairman's in the EFL/PL

Kieran Maguire- the extremely qualified Football Finance Expert is always waxing lyrical about our Custodian & how he runs our Club the right way

SH & his trusted team knew the struggles we would face this season but he has never deviated from his ethos & ethics

He has been dealt unexpected curve balls with a certain person leaving who also chose to gut the backroom staff at the most difficult time of the season

He has had the 87 day tenure to also navigate whilst having to grapple with the actions of a man who he thought was a close friend

He has had his fingers burnt with Argyle Green & he is probably more wary regarding the type of characters he considers who will be suitable investors to share his ethos & ethics regarding the guardianship of our unique,special club

When i read other people's comments regarding how he should spend his money- SH is not in the mould of a flight of fancy, speculate to accumulate, boom or bust, financial manipulation to avoid the wrath of the EFL as other unscrupulous Chairman he is all about gradual, steady as you go year on year growth

Spending all our money on silly transfer fees & outlandish wages is not going to guarantee success - it may have a moment of instant gratification as we show to the wider football world we can try & compete with the big boys but it is not sustainable

SH & his trusted team would have learnt a lot this season & when they do their post mortem of the season just gone they will say the season has been tough probably tougher than they originally thought but they will learn from whatever shortcomings they deem was caused by their decision making
Wonderful post - agree with every word.