Ryan Taylor | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Taylor

gaspargomez":3jt55f7w said:
Taylor is a great player for Argyle and he needs to be offered a new contract to sign ASAP.
He's a pain in the backside to play against! its why he's been marked heavily..he has class, the goal against Newport last season was awesome. Got to get him signed on an extended contract soon otherwise we'll lose a great talent

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
In the good old days he would have been the junior partner in a front two and the other striker would thrive playing alongside him. Instead heā€™s part of a front line and they are all thriving playing up and around him. DA has it spot on. If he was injured now, our season would be over. What was the name of that Celtic striker who tried to replace him? Not an easy piece in the team jigsaw to replace. At some point, he will hit a purple patch and the goals will start flowing for a short time as well. Allā€™s rosey, no need to criticise him for not scoring enough goals or having an off game occasionally, heā€™s essential to this DA team.

Nov 25, 2015
Sorry I didnā€™t mean to come across as being negative towards him. Just airing an opinion that he might not be quite good enough as we look to the push on. Iā€™m obviously in the minority there though!

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
In the modern, lazy nomenclature RT is a "striker", what he is in fact is a "forward". His task is to get the team up the park with his ability to hold and then lay off the football, tie up the gorillas who pose as centre backs, and contribute with goals and (a term I abhor) assists. I think he performs these task admirably, he is almost the most indispensable member of the squad at present.

Jul 6, 2009
Taylor is the one player the team cannot do without- our style of play relies on him so much. Let us all hope that in the summer he brings in somebody who can play that role just as well in case for example he breaks his ankle in the first game and is out for four months.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
No disrespect to the OP but to say Ryan isn't league One standard is utterly laughable. He is by far and away one of the best players we have at the club at the moment, his return to the team has seen one of the biggest transformations in form I can remember in my 30+ years following Argyle. He isn't a 15 goal a season a striker, but he sure as hell is one of the best in the league at holding play up and bringing played like Carey and Lamerias into the game which creates numerous chances for other players. As others have said he is very much a player in the trigger mode, I would say technically a better player with better guile and movement. We are lucky to have in, we have to hope we can bring someone in as an able back up for it things don't improve on the injury front with Church.

May 3, 2017
I agree Ryan Taylor has been a colossus for us since returning from injury. I have no doubt we would be even higher up the league if he had been fit to play all season. Physicality, linking play and occupying defenders, heā€™s a master at the loan striker role. We really need to tie him down on a longer contract.

Nov 25, 2015
Argyle-sy":gu2noq6u said:
No disrespect to the OP but to say Ryan isn't league One standard is utterly laughable. He is by far and away one of the best players we have at the club at the moment, his return to the team has seen one of the biggest transformations in form I can remember in my 30+ years following Argyle. He isn't a 15 goal a season a striker, but he sure as hell is one of the best in the league at holding play up and bringing played like Carey and Lamerias into the game which creates numerous chances for other players. As others have said he is very much a player in the trigger mode, I would say technically a better player with better guile and movement. We are lucky to have in, we have to hope we can bring someone in as an able back up for it things don't improve on the injury front with Church.

I didnā€™t say he wasnā€™t League One standard. Just not sure if heā€™s good enough for a top 6 team.
Heā€™s massively important to the current team, but in my own (seemingly unique) opinion heā€™s maybe not quite at that level

NLG

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 16, 2006
If you still have the same opinion after all the other inputs here then well you are in a minority and I would probably stop trying to defend your position.

Nov 25, 2015
Northernlightgreen":3c7ib0po said:
If you still have the same opinion after all the other inputs here then well you are in a minority and I would probably stop trying to defend your position.

You might have a point!

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Jannerbear":3sn4lv2k said:
Northernlightgreen":3sn4lv2k said:

You might have a point!
Maybe your post was 13 days too early- lol

Jul 6, 2011
Isondil":2dvgsftl said:
I just love the contradiction in the opening statement. ā€œ...our upturn coincided with his return from injuryā€. An upturn that saw us go from bottom to 7th. ā€œ...hasnā€™t the natural ability for a forward at the level weā€™re currently atā€. So his reintroduction to the team cannot have had anything to do with the upturn in results?

If youā€™re saying is he first name on a team sheet in the Championship then Iā€™d argue most of our starting 11 are in that category. However, to say he isnā€™t good for L1 is laughable.

Do we need a 15+ goal a season striker? Iā€™d love one, but it isnā€™t a necessity.

Our upturn also started kicking in when lameiras came into the team selection, let's not forget him and give credit where it's due.

G

Greenskin

briangreen":1q2zze6p said:
Isondil":1q2zze6p said:
I just love the contradiction in the opening statement. ā€œ...our upturn coincided with his return from injuryā€. An upturn that saw us go from bottom to 7th. ā€œ...hasnā€™t the natural ability for a forward at the level weā€™re currently atā€. So his reintroduction to the team cannot have had anything to do with the upturn in results?

If youā€™re saying is he first name on a team sheet in the Championship then Iā€™d argue most of our starting 11 are in that category. However, to say he isnā€™t good for L1 is laughable.

Do we need a 15+ goal a season striker? Iā€™d love one, but it isnā€™t a necessity.

Our upturn also started kicking in when lameiras came into the team selection, let's not forget him and give credit where it's due.

The upturn actually started 10 games before Lameiras became a regular in the team-it was the experience and presence of Toumani in midfield which was really the catalyst for the improvement in the first place.Things have certainly evolved since that time-the Lameiras contribution is inextricably linked to the return of Taylor IMHO,there is no way that Lameiras could have been as effective if Argyle were still playing Jervis up front.Taylor's ability to hold the ball has enabled the midfielders to engage in far more advanced positions than previously and build attacks from there,which has to suit a player like Lameiras much more than going long and looking to use someones pace on the counter. No disrespect to Jake,liked him as a player and would still liked to have seen him stay but results suggest that far more is being brought out of the midfielders when playing in the current style.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
justanotherfan":1jyop9oa said:
In the modern, lazy nomenclature RT is a "striker", what he is in fact is a "forward". His task is to get the team up the park with his ability to hold and then lay off the football, tie up the gorillas who pose as centre backs, and contribute with goals and (a term I abhor) assists. I think he performs these task admirably, he is almost the most indispensable member of the squad at present.
You may abhor the term and I understand the reasons but it is a reasonable measure of a playerā€™s offensive attributes.

However, it only measures the immediate involvement before a goal is scored and, clearly, there are others involved in the build up play who, perhaps, do not get the credit they deserve.

Ryan Taylor is a perfect example of a player who is regularly involved in the build up play but does not often get the ā€˜assistā€™.

Jul 11, 2011
Jannerbear":y2oxidxk said:
Iā€™m a big fan of Taylor and itā€™s no coincidence that our upturn in fortunes this season coincided with his return from injury, but watching the game on Saturday I couldnā€™t help but think that he just hadnā€™t got enough natural ability for a forward at the level weā€™re currently at.

He works hard, holds the ball up brilliantly and gets us up the pitch. But, he offers a minimal goal threat, and lacks the pace to get into the box from the deep positions he often drifts into.

I just think that even if weā€™re still in League One next season itā€™s an area we need to strengthen.

I could not disagree more!! He is the most important cog in our wheel at the moment. I am not being intentionally rude but comments like this make me think you have never stepped foot on a football pitch.