Ryan Taylor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Taylor

Nov 25, 2015
Yeah I know, and don’t get me wrong I think he’s made a massive contribution to our success this season. Just watching the game on Saturday there were times when I thought he looked a bit laboured.
Appreciate all your points though, and he’s undoubtedly the best we’ve had in that position for a long time. Maybe it was just the contrast with Harrison that made me wonder if he’s quite good enough for a promotion challenging league one team?

Jul 12, 2016
Much needed player in the team and one that we can ill afford to lose.I would also let him take our penalties

Oct 21, 2015
Welwyn Pilgrim":e5n4x2mz said:
He takes a complete battering every game with opposing teams Centre Halves normally built like Smeatons Tower it's not a position I'd want to play. His effort and commitment to the team is immense but because he doesn't score as often as Carey for example then his performances seem to go unnoticed because, wrongly in my opinion, players like Tayor are probably based on goals scored and not their all round contribution to the game.

Spot on ! Ryan deserves far more recognition and appreciation for his overall contribution than he often gets....don't get me onto the Sponsors MOM awards ...not sure how many Ryan has received but probably not enough!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Doesn't score enough goals and to my memory he didn't even have a shot on Saturday. Which for a promotion challenging team, you'd want a bit more goal threat from your centre forward. However, that is real nit-picking and about the only criticism you could level at the guy, harshly at that. All all of his other qualities more than make up for that because he brings more goals out of the players around him and his work rate is excellent. He'd possibly be even better if he actually had some competition for his place.

Jul 29, 2010
Nobby":123g9jfq said:
Doesn't score enough goals and to my memory he didn't even have a shot on Saturday. Which for a promotion challenging team, you'd want a bit more goal threat from your centre forward. However, that is real nit-picking and about the only criticism you could level at the guy, harshly at that. All all of his other qualities more than make up for that because he brings more goals out of the players around him and his work rate is excellent. He'd possibly be even better if he actually had some competition for his place.
Team goals increased considerably once he came back, and they are the only goals that matter.

Preoccupation of the centre halves and direct flicks on to the LC of TLC opens up space and brings others into play. He is a nuisance, but a creative nuisance to boot. He's a team player and that is a selfless and mucky job that deserves better appreciation than mere finger counting of individual goals scored.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Nobby":1udrtp4r said:
Doesn't score enough goals and to my memory he didn't even have a shot on Saturday.

Our top two goalscorer this season are:

Carey - League 9, FA Cup 2 Total 11
Taylor - League 5 EFL Trophy 1 Total 6

Just as well he scores some then, isn't it?

Jun 24, 2008
Can see your point of view but he has has a thankless task. Yes he's a striker and strikers are often marked on goals but Taylor is our Emile Heskey. Absolutely vital, a very intelligent player.

Seen a few say how he's our best target man since Mickey Evans, however I would say Barry Hayles was. If you think of our target men of recent seasons theres huge improvement in having Ryan Taylor in our side.

What other strikers have we had which we'd include in the target men catergory? Hayles, Taylor, Rory Fallon, Kenny Cooper perhaps? :lol:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Jimmy 'Frank to some' Spencer did a reasonable job in 2016/7 until he got injured.

He joined Mansfield but he seems to have disappeared off the radar now.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
X Isle":3hswz0ml said:
Nobby":3hswz0ml said:
Team goals increased considerably once he came back, and they are the only goals that matter.

Preoccupation of the centre halves and direct flicks on to the LC of TLC opens up space and brings others into play. He is a nuisance, but a creative nuisance to boot. He's a team player and that is a selfless and mucky job that deserves better appreciation than mere finger counting of individual goals scored.

Agreed! I've said as much! Like I said, it's real nit-picking in response to the OP, but other than that it's hard to have any criticism.
metroace":3hswz0ml said:
Nobby":3hswz0ml said:
Doesn't score enough goals and to my memory he didn't even have a shot on Saturday.

Our top two goalscorer this season are:

Carey - League 9, FA Cup 2 Total 11
Taylor - League 5 EFL Trophy 1 Total 6

Just as well he scores some then, isn't it?

Well yes, obviously. You appear to have ignored the sentences that followed which are pretty useful for context...

Jun 24, 2008
davie nine":10hbo67h said:
Jimmy 'Frank to some' Spencer did a reasonable job in 2016/7 until he got injured.

He joined Mansfield but he seems to have disappeared off the radar now.

Blimey, id forgotten about him already. Agreed however, he did a decent job at League 2 level.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
macleanie":mg5qhyda said:
Can see your point of view but he has has a thankless task. Yes he's a striker and strikers are often marked on goals but Taylor is our Emile Heskey. Absolutely vital, a very intelligent player.

Seen a few say how he's our best target man since Mickey Evans, however I would say Barry Hayles was. If you think of our target men of recent seasons theres huge improvement in having Ryan Taylor in our side.

What other strikers have we had which we'd include in the target men catergory? Hayles, Taylor, Rory Fallon, Kenny Cooper perhaps? :lol:

Barry Hayles was a target man, even if he wasn't much of a target and he proved the perfect foil for SEB. Great player!

Jun 24, 2008
Nobby":35jnscgu said:
macleanie":35jnscgu said:

Barry Hayles was a target man, even if he wasn't much of a target and he proved the perfect foil for SEB. Great player!

Also incredibly slow. The epitome of a striker with good positioning and an intelligence of how to use his body and his ability to good effect.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Put it this way - apart from the opening game/defeat of the season when Taylor limped off injured we have lost just one league game from the other 17 league games after he returned from injury.

Played 18, won 12, drawn 4, lost 2.

Another stat is that the team have scored in all 20 league and cup games that Taylor has played in this season.

Mar 23, 2008
Taylor is probably the one player who if he for injured, would hurt us most. Partially because we don't have a replacement but also because he's a superb player and could not disagree with the opening post more.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Jannerbear":1cuqn4v8 said:
I’m a big fan of Taylor and it’s no coincidence that our upturn in fortunes this season coincided with his return from injury, but watching the game on Saturday I couldn’t help but think that he just hadn’t got enough natural ability for a forward at the level we’re currently at.

He works hard, holds the ball up brilliantly and gets us up the pitch. But, he offers a minimal goal threat, and lacks the pace to get into the box from the deep positions he often drifts into.

I just think that even if we’re still in League One next season it’s an area we need to strengthen.
i disagree entirely.