Ryan Hardie | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Hardie

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
The plan this season was to maximise Hardies impact centrally with MW and BM out wide, which might seem odd but did conincide with Hardie scoring more.
Now we have seen a different tactic, we have to hope he still gets the service in a central position.
Will he be physically robust enough to keep this prolific spell going ?
If he keeps it up, can we meet his future wage expectations, ditto MW, nice hypothetical problem to have though!
Che Adams, as said before = £15 million. Would you swap for Hotdog. ?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2014
Agree, I think he has improved a lot, added to his game and worked on his weaknesses.

I've heard too many people doubt our squad ,because we haven't added proven Championship players, and are relying mainly on those who played last year. Yes, the names may be the same, but so many players are more experienced and much improved from the start of last season. Whittaker, Mumba, Azaz, and Randell, as well as Hardie, are youngish players who now look at home at this level. Perhaps the biggest surprise of the lot, however, is the more experienced Jordan Houghton, rated by many as a pretty average L1 player last season, but perhaps our most consistent performer this season. Credit to our coaching staff for making these players into Championship performers.
Squad levels / experience will be key to the season.
Houghton and Hardie playing above expectations but consistency will be the key, I'm still concerned up the strength in depth

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Never had any doubts . Just getting better and better. Because he doesn’t score every game doesn’t make him a poor player. He does so much more and would be the first name on my teamsheet. Superb .
Never truer than yesterday. I knew he was quick, but having seen the full game now, I hadn't realised just how quick. He seemed to just eat up the ground at times yesterday. I suppose a hat-trick will generally secure MoM but I thought from what I saw that Hardie was the match winner.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Could Peter Cavanagh have had input into the improvement?
I'm sure I read somewhere (quite recently) on here or FB that he had had one to one sessions with Aaron Cusack throughout the summer. However, I never saw that reported anywhere on the official site and I didn't know Aaron was on the coaching staff these days.

Reactions: Deacster

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
I'm sure I read somewhere (quite recently) on here or FB that he had had one to one sessions with Aaron Cusack throughout the summer. However, I never saw that reported anywhere on the official site and I didn't know Aaron was on the coaching staff these days.
He’s not staff, but he is a qualified coach so if a private client wishes to use his services during the break,that is a matter between the two of them.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
He’s not staff, but he is a qualified coach so if a private client wishes to use his services during the break,that is a matter between the two of them.
Indeed, not questioning whether it is right or wrong or Cusack's qualifications. Just surprised it did not get reported (or, if correct, that it was not acknowledged). I would imagine that although it is, as you say, a "private matter", anything that comes under player development would need the club's permission/blessing.

Never truer than yesterday. I knew he was quick, but having seen the full game now, I hadn't realised just how quick. He seemed to just eat up the ground at times yesterday. I suppose a hat-trick will generally secure MoM but I thought from what I saw that Hardie was the match winner.
I’ve always felt his speed is under-rated by opponents, particularly their analysts, because he has a long loping run which you don’t normally associate with speed. For three seasons now we’ve seen any number of full backs struggling to keep up with him.

Jul 31, 2009
Plymouth
Indeed, not questioning whether it is right or wrong or Cusack's qualifications. Just surprised it did not get reported (or, if correct, that it was not acknowledged). I would imagine that although it is, as you say, a "private matter", anything that comes under player development would need the club's permission/blessing.
If you follow Hardie or Cusack on Instagram they both posted videos of them training together in the summer. Aaron showed a brilliant video of the work they did on Ryan's left foot shooting and the goal he scored against Huddersfield,showing how practice had made perfect.
Here is the link to the video

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
If you follow Hardie or Cusack on Instagram they both posted videos of them training together in the summer. Aaron showed a brilliant video of the work they did on Ryan's left foot shooting and the goal he scored against Huddersfield,showing how practice had made perfect.
Here is the link to the video
Excellent. Thank you. I certainly think Aaron Cusack is the best analyst on Argyle TV. Indeed, if anything he deserves a wider audience. I'm assuming he could work with Hardie because the club know Aaron and his capability. I would imagine a player has to obtain permission for 'private' coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith Whitfield
Feb 8, 2005
Will Shuey stick to last seasons formation or will he revert back to how we have been playing prior to Norwich? He has said that it was a one-off because of the way Norwich played.

Seems to me that when we play with four at the back with wingers, we rely on Hardie to score more freely than when we play with three at the back with wingbacks, with the two no 10's linking with Hardie who are then able to score themselves.

The difference is quite noticable.

However, this is all relevant to how the opposition play, and Shuey will have to decide which system to employ to combat each team in future games.

At least it makes life difficult for the opposition manager when he has no idea what system we are going to play.

Reactions: saxman
Aug 22, 2006
I’ll admit it, I wasn’t sure if he could make the step up to the Championship, I even criticised him at times in League 1. But he seems to have added so many more strings to his bow, and in a short period of time. Not only is he scoring goals this season, he looks stronger, he looks smarter, he’s linking play, he’s looking so much more rounded. Long may it continue.
I've been someone that has disagreed with a fair few of your views in the past but yet again you are absolutely spot on.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's four games (or three and a half) without a goal now for Hardie which is a bit of a concern. He was scoring for fun until he was dropped for the Bristol City game.
He did however have one of his best games against Norwich and was involved in most of those six goals.
Against Millwall I felt he tried too hard, shooting from difficult positions when a pass would have been the better option.

He thrives against teams who push up, Millwall sat deep and we struggled to create chances for him.

We really need him scoring again.

Reactions: Verdant1
Jan 6, 2004
It's four games (or three and a half) without a goal now for Hardie which is a bit of a concern. He was scoring for fun until he was dropped for the Bristol City game.
He did however have one of his best games against Norwich and was involved in most of those six goals.
Against Millwall I felt he tried too hard, shooting from difficult positions when a pass would have been the better option.

He thrives against teams who push up, Millwall sat deep and we struggled to create chances for him.

We really need him scoring again.
I am concerned other teams will learn from Millwall and sit deep at HP even if it is not their natural game.