Rumours | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
And yet that back three has the joint-third best goals against record in League Two this season.

Any back three in any team will at times be exposed down the sides and channels, that's the trade off for having attacking wing backs.

Jun 27, 2019
Justin - one of our most successful seasons in recent years came after we lost both centre-backs (Hartley and Nelson). You absolutely can replace your CBs and thrive from it, particularly if your current incumbents are not good enough and you're going to be playing at a higher level.

I have no particular reason to dislike Wootton and think he's done a competent job this season. However, he makes too many mistakes to be a starting CB in League One.

We all have different opinions and ultimately Ryan Lowe's is the only one that counts. All I can say is that if Wootton is part of our defence in League One next season then we'll concede a lot of unnecessary goals.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Also if you add the fact that both Full backs aren't particularly defensive minded I think we will struggle with the same static defence
MAcfadzean is great going Forward but at Northampton last season he left Sawyer exposed over and over again and didnt make much effort to get back into position

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Metal_Green_Mickey":13q9079f said:
Hopefully we get to see a fit Aimson next season.

Hopefully we'll have moved on or paid off a never-fit Aimson before next season. He's had very nearly a year out - I doubt he'll be back or if he is I doubt he'll be the player he was before his injury. We can't afford to carry a passenger in the new football climate.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Justin":3g510js4 said:
Devongreenowl":3g510js4 said:
Justin":3g510js4 said:
Devongreenowl":3g510js4 said:
That’s a fair point AAG, but I’m more concerned with the fact that he looked out of his depth a lot of the time in L2. He does seem a target for the 'he got us relegated' posters and yet Sarce gets little of that when he played 30-odd games in that relegation season. I can’t remember if he missed any of the diabolical run in though.

I imagine Lowe is going to be looking to bring in mainly younger players who he thinks will not only do well in L1 but have the potential to be Championship players. That counts Sarcevic, Wootton and Canavan out straight away in my opinion. I think there will be quite a lot of comings and goings this summer.

Eh?

Wootton’s 28. That’s youngish for a solid centre back. And he’s got lots of vital experience. I don’t think Lowe’s so stupid that he won’t recognise the value of experience in crucial positions.

I realise that Justin. It doesn’t change the fact that he probably doesn’t qualify on the criteria I mentioned. ie he’s not that young, he’s not likely to do well in L1 as he has had his issues in L2, and he certainly doesn’t appear to have potential to play in the championship. He’s probably done all the improving he’s going to do. Obviously, he could prove me wrong and be our best defender next season. Not likely though.

Wootton has played in the Championship for Nottingham Forest, Rotherham and Peterborough in addition to Leeds. We all know about his footballing alma mater too.

He had a bad injury at Milton Keynes and he's since rebuilt his career. That shows courage and maturity. All of this makes his experience invaluable as we aim to go up through the leagues. He stills young enough to improve. Centre backs generally hit their peak later than other outfield players. Probably around 31 - 32 on average.

You can't just ditch all the centre backs and start again every season, there has to be some continuity. I thought Lowe was supposed to be building a team? It's clear Lowe believes in Wootton and naturally that breeds confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being given the captain's armband next season, if he stays.

No worries Justin. It’s all about opinions. However, I simply cannot see him being a first choice defender, let alone Captain :crazy: If we start with the same back three, we will be in big trouble very early on. Yes, Lowe is building a team and he will want players of his choosing. Sentiment goes out of the window and many of the remnants of DA's squad will be gone IMO

Mar 22, 2020
Although it will be disappointing to lose Sarce I thought the enforced reshuffle of the team and introduction of Connor Grant for the last couple of games due to the Sarce's suspension gave the team more balance. Some great results followed ultimately cementing us in third place. Grant had played well and I think Lowe would have stuck with that line up. Good luck to Sarce if indeed he's on his way but I don't think we necessarily need a like for like replacement. Could Connor Grant step up this time?

Aug 5, 2016
Green Painter":2xmcux3q said:
Although it will be disappointing to lose Sarce I thought the enforced reshuffle of the team and introduction of Connor Grant for the last couple of games due to the Sarce's suspension gave the team more balance. Some great results followed ultimately cementing us in third place. Grant had played well and I think Lowe would have stuck with that line up. Good luck to Sarce if indeed he's on his way but I don't think we necessarily need a like for like replacement. Could Connor Grant step up this time?

I don't like to knock our own players down, but Connor Grant is a squad player at League Two level, and hasn't done much to suggest he is capable of being a regular threat at League One level.

I will be shocked if Lowe doesn't replace Sarce with a proven quality player, the likes of George Cooper or similar.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Connor Grant is quite underrated, he rarely does anything that catches your attention but he always seems to be in good 'holding' positions. Not as impressive as Sarce but a good squad player, I hope he stays.

But if it's a choice between him and the assist king......

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Sarcevic has been great this season but he’s been achieving above his standard.

He’s decent at L2 but needs replacing for L1.

Would have been nice to have in the squad if we go up but no issues with him moving on. Good luck and thank you.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that Ryan Lowe rates Wootton and will offer him a contract. He is a confidence player and Lowe has persevered with him and restored his confidence.
He has had a reasonable season in League 2 but we should remember that, when MK Dons were relegated from League 1 in 2017/8, he played 39 games and was released at the end of that season.

Melbourne Mark

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
davie nine":3sje7vua said:
I think that Ryan Lowe rates Wootton and will offer him a contract. He is a confidence player and Lowe has persevered with him and restored his confidence.
He has had a reasonable season in League 2 but we should remember that, when Milton Keynes were relegated from League 1 in 2017/8, he played 39 games and was released at the end of that season.

Has he improved since then?

I suspect League 2 might be his level...

Aug 17, 2005
WoodsyGreen":1invjl5q said:
signalspast":1invjl5q said:

That's a plant by an agent worried his client might be left without a club.

He didn't seem that keen to sign permanently in January but it seems the shoe is now on the other foot.

Yes tend to agree. My thoughts at xmas was on a higher wage at chelsea than being offered by Argyle and the words from agent saying he would get him a l9ndon based club in the summer. Virus has put that into doubt and now players are in a situation this is what we are offering take it or leave it

Aug 5, 2016
Not even sure it is a plant by an agent. The article is based on a quote from January! A website struggling for material perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.