Rumours | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2009
Hallett did say we need to lower expectations.

I don’t know where l read it but lm sure some fans said we need 10 or 11 new faces.

I guess the Chairman’s message was overlooked.

Argyle will struggle probably next season. However, your Wimbledon, Rochdale’s etc ....will probably struggle as badly, or worse.

We just got to survive next season. End of. There will be teams who have rich chairman, like we seen with Mansfield and Salford, who will thrive next season lm guessing because they financially can take advantage of the situation.

I think we might see two or three players. The rest of the squad filled with loans.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
But it’s just a fact we need 10 or 11 new faces, whether they’re loans, low wage free agents or otherwise.

We could very well pick up some gems, from the huge pool of unattached players looking for work.

Jul 12, 2016
Herts_Green":3p43hynd said:
Not sure why would should struggle more than other teams next season
Because the two teams promoted with us were better than us, there are a lot of quality teams and players in league 1 and our squad at the moment would struggle in league 2.
Much will depend on the quality of players we sign.

Aug 5, 2016
Darren Stoneman":1ocf5kdn said:
Can’t remember who said, “you can’t win anything with kids!” , well just imagine if Randell, Lolos, cleal, law et al all have the same impact as Mr Jephcott, who knows ?

It was Alan Hansen referring to first glimpses of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt playing together age 19. Shortly after, a fleet of treble winners.

Not sure if that freakishly talented generation applies to Randell, Lolos, Cleal and Law, or 92 x equivalents up and down the country. Or the thousands of times the quote has been used since Hansen said it, usually by a poster referring to a teenager that is on a team's bench.

If Argyle played Lolos, Cleal, Law and Randell every game in League One, we might look like Argyle the last time we played 5 teenagers a game: bottom of the league.

Jul 14, 2008
oldage":310m5f6r said:
Herts_Green":310m5f6r said:
Because the two teams promoted with us were better than us, there are a lot of quality teams and players in league 1 and our squad at the moment would struggle in league 2.
Well yes but why would you judge the squad now 3 months before the new season is likely to start? It would be like going to a nice restaurant and going into the kitchen to taste the food 20 mins before it should be served and saying it’s rubbish. All teams still need to strengthen but Simon Hallett has already said that we are in a better financial position than most. Some teams in league 1 are going to find it very difficult next season.

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":2alozjvo said:
Herts_Green":2alozjvo said:

Swindon & Crewe were marginally above us after 37 games. We beat Crewe twice. So how were they 'better than us'?

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":se6s4te3 said:
oldage":se6s4te3 said:
Herts_Green":se6s4te3 said:

Swindon & Crewe were marginally above us after 37 games. We beat Crewe twice. So how were they 'better than us'?
The table doesn't lie so over the incomplete season we were third best!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Balham_Green":4kdw4xac said:
oldage":4kdw4xac said:
Herts_Green":4kdw4xac said:

You beat me to it, BG. We did the double over Crewe and of the three games we played versus Swindon in all competitions we won one and drew one (at their place) and very narrowly lost to them at Home Park. Both teams may have been a couple of points better than us with 9 to play but I'm not particularly worried about them storming away from us in League One (famous last words!) :scarf:

Jul 12, 2016
Mark58":2hnl6u8x said:
Balham_Green":2hnl6u8x said:
oldage":2hnl6u8x said:
Herts_Green":2hnl6u8x said:

You beat me to it, BG. We did the double over Crewe and of the three games we played versus Swindon in all competitions we won one and drew one (at their place) and very narrowly lost to them at Home Park. Both teams may have been a couple of points better than us with 9 to play but I'm not particularly worried about them storming away from us in League One (famous last words!) :scarf:
As I have already posted I think we will do well to stay in league 1 next season. Obviously I have no idea who RL will sign but they will need to be at least as good as Palmer, Hardie and Cooper and with money being tight that will be a tall order.
This is not a criticism but the reality of the situation.The only consolation is that other clubs will be facing similar challenges.

Jun 27, 2019
Based on some fans' posts on this thread I may as well go and support Plymouth Parkway next season. Evidently Argyle are going to be signing two maybe three players on 10 bob a week while the rest of League One fill their squads with quality that'll have us relegated by Christmas.

Where do Parkway play again?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Palmer Hardie and Cooper were top drawer players and got us to where we were when the league was halted...need to get similar players in if we are to hold our own.....

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
WoodsyGreen":2u5gpzvj said:
Based on some fans' posts on this thread I may as well go and support Plymouth Parkway next season. Evidently Argyle are going to be signing two maybe three players on 10 bob a week while the rest of League One fill their squads with quality that'll have us relegated by Christmas.

Where do Parkway play again?

Bolitho Park

They have lost a couple of players between seasons so you may get a yellow shirt rather than a scarf.

Seriously, I doubt many L1 clubs will be signing many big name players until there is more certainty about next season, crowds etc...

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":ez4142au said:
Mark58":ez4142au said:
Balham_Green":ez4142au said:
oldage":ez4142au said:
Herts_Green":ez4142au said:

As I have already posted I think we will do well to stay in league 1 next season. Obviously I have no idea who RL will sign but they will need to be at least as good as Palmer, Hardie and Cooper and with money being tight that will be a tall order.
This is not a criticism but the reality of the situation.The only consolation is that other clubs will be facing similar challenges.

Only on Pasoti could you have posts about us struggling next season when the squad is nowhere near complete and 1 week after getting promoted. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.