Roast Potatoes | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Roast Potatoes

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Just bought an air fryer, do you part boil them first or just straight in?
We need photos on this thread Mr Biggs!

American Pilgrim

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Just bought an air fryer, do you part boil them first or just straight in?
I put em straight in and never had an issue. Some air fryers cook more evenly mind than others from my experience. Just depends on how much you invested in one.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Other half wants to get an air fryer as there is only the two of us. Any recommendations for or warnings against which model/make to buy?

I just got the Ninja dual zone (7.6 litre one), the rationale being you can do most meals in it without using a big old oven. I.e. two bits of salmon in one drawer and veg in the other.

There are the bigger ones with pressure cooking/slow cooking etc etc, but 95% of the time I know I’d be using it for air frying/baking/grilling stuff so wanted to maximise that.

Sorry back to roasties :censored:… does anyone else mash them a bit halfway through, to get more of a crunch?

bd1981

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 23, 2022
Plymouth
IMHO a par boil is key as you get them "chuffed up" on the outside which gives you all the gnarly crispy bits on the outside - the chuffing is done through tossing in the colander briefly...I'm an air fryer fan with a couple of tbspns of sunflower oil...job done...hats off to the OP however, they look good!

Reactions: American Pilgrim

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
First of all get yourself decent potatoes, eg Maris Piper, parboil a batch and then freeze them when they’ve cooled.

Bring them back out a week or two later when you want to roast them (duck fat is good) and you’ll have the fluffiest roast potatoes ever.

Courtesy of Mrs Turing.

• Love
Reactions: Daz

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
I just got the Ninja dual zone (7.6 litre one), the rationale being you can do most meals in it without using a big old oven. I.e. two bits of salmon in one drawer and veg in the other.

There are the bigger ones with pressure cooking/slow cooking etc etc, but 95% of the time I know I’d be using it for air frying/baking/grilling stuff so wanted to maximise that.

Sorry back to roasties :censored:… does anyone else mash them a bit halfway through, to get more of a crunch?
I have a Ninja dual zone. My roast spuds are cooked at 190 for 50 minutes and are excellent.I guess it depends on the size and type of potatoe.As with most air fryer recipes you may have to experiment a little.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
First attempt in air fryer…

Lots of experimentation needed, this was literally just bunging them in with a load of oil and salt, but not bad considering total lack of effort!

IMG_5733.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Daz

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, but not enough really. Will report back on second attempt.

Would highly recommend air fryers by the way, weeknight dinner stuff like chicken thighs and roast veg are so much better and easier than oven.

bd1981

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 23, 2022
Plymouth
Yep, but not enough really. Will report back on second attempt.

Would highly recommend air fryers by the way, weeknight dinner stuff like chicken thighs and roast veg are so much better and easier than oven.
Next attempt par boil, then colander to chuff em up, then oil and air fryer...trust me.

Reactions: Tonka