Roast Potatoes | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Roast Potatoes

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
As Rory Mcllroy has managed to spoil my evenings golf viewing and following on from the thread about the GT’s Sunday dinners where their spuds were top draw, I just wondered what your favourite trick was.

These today were cooked in duck fat with a little salt. Loved them.

332C66E3-0B99-4BFC-9E2B-18D26A4C7AA1.jpeg

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Growing up, my Mum always roasted her post in a beef or chicken stock and not in fat. They are great for mashing in gravy but Mrs S expects par-boiled, slightly bashed and then roasted in hot oil (she is veggie), sos I cook two types of roast pots. The traditional .. I thought they might be traditional Plymouth roasties in a meat stock with a slightly crispy top and succulent bottoms and the standard Essex way par boiled way ...

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
As Rory Mcllroy has managed to spoil my evenings golf viewing and following on from the thread about the GT’s Sunday dinners where their spuds were top draw, I just wondered what your favourite trick was.

View attachment 8583
Is that for you, Wife and two kids Daz??

Nov 18, 2011

View attachment 8583
They look fantastic. I must say that I get just as good results using lard as I do from duck fat meaning lovely roast spuds don't even cost much.

We all agree with Maris Piper as the potato of choice?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
They look fantastic. I must say that I get just as good results using lard as I do from duck fat meaning lovely roast spuds don't even cost much.

We all agree with Maris Piper as the potato of choice?
Has to be. 👍

American Pilgrim

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Air fryer after putting some chili powder, oil, and cinnamon on them. Might sound weird haha, but are delicious.

Reactions: Daz
Growing up, my Mum always roasted her post in a beef or chicken stock and not in fat. They are great for mashing in gravy but Mrs S expects par-boiled, slightly bashed and then roasted in hot oil (she is veggie), sos I cook two types of roast pots. The traditional .. I thought they might be traditional Plymouth roasties in a meat stock with a slightly crispy top and succulent bottoms and the standard Essex way par boiled way ...
My mum was the world’s worst cook. She would start cooking veg for Sunday roast straight after breakfast, producing a slimy tasteless mess by lunchtime, to accompany beef that had dried down to a large oxo cube.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
My mum was the world’s worst cook. She would start cooking veg for Sunday roast straight after breakfast, producing a slimy tasteless mess by lunchtime, to accompany beef that had dried down to a large oxo cube.
😱

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

View attachment 8583
They look perfect to me.

How did you do them? Parboil? How much fudge fat? How long at what temperature?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
They look perfect to me.

How did you do them? Parboil? How much Fudge fat? How long at what temperature?
Par boiled, half a pot of duck fat which was put in the oven to get it really hot and then in the oven for about an hour at 200. Then kept basting them throughout cooking. They were the best I’ve made.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Par boiled, half a pot of duck fat which was put in the oven to get it really hot and then in the oven for about an hour at 200. Then kept basting them throughout cooking. They were the best I’ve made.
Did you turn them or just baste? I guess the fat was only a few cm in depth?

I’m not a weirdo but I do have a particular interest in roast potatoes and whilst mine are always a good 8/10 I’ve never been able to get above that.

Yours look genuinely perfect to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Daz
Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Marginally off the OP, but recently I made Hasselback Jerusalem Artichokes. Quite a fiddle to get the slicing and roasting right, but very nice, and a good way to use what can be an acquired taste.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Did you turn them or just baste? I guess the fat was only a few cm in depth?

I’m not a weirdo but I do have a particular interest in roast potatoes and whilst mine are always a good 8/10 I’ve never been able to get above that.

Yours look genuinely perfect to me.
This is why I posted!

Turned them after 10 mins cooking in the hot duck fat. Then I just basted them without turning Again. 😍