Rhys Griffiths (injured) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rhys Griffiths (injured)

G

greenscooby

Martin_Brock":156qt86j said:
Why pay someone's wages when not fit to play? Because they have a contract with the club. If someone on here were suddenly taken ill and not able to play for a few weeks because of illness, I'm sure they would be rightfully outraged were their employer to terminate their employment because they weren't able to come to the office / factory / wherever. Footballers are no different. Clubs must budget to expect one or two players to be injured at any one time which is why they have a squad.

M

I 99% agree with this post, but the question was why pay someones wages when not fit to play? I've had a couple of jobs where if I was unfit to work through illness or injury i would not get paid by my employer, i'd be getting SSP, a lot less than my wage from my employer.

Apr 15, 2008
London
greenscooby":26e6ad5v said:
I 99% agree with this post, but the question was why pay someones wages when not fit to play? I've had a couple of jobs where if I was unfit to work through illness or injury i would not get paid by my employer, i'd be getting SSP, a lot less than my wage from my employer.

:facepalm:

Jul 6, 2011
James Owen":3keuf2gh said:
briangreen":3keuf2gh said:
greengenes":3keuf2gh said:
He didnt have to go straight into full time training. A sensible route would have been to increase his training very gradually. Maybe that is what is happening for all I know. As a player hes more talented than one or two I could name.

Maybe they have, we the outsiders don't know, we can only assume

In truth we have only Griffiths or Madjo who currently have the touch to put the ball away, let's not scare one of them off for crying out loud.
Think the previous commenter was right, someone has decided that Griffiths (injured) is this weeks victim, however you put it.
Griff is the only striker who even looks remotely like scoring and we just can't wait to batter the guys confidence. Shame on you as Argyle supporters.
He should be playing up front with someone else, not having to take the full responsibility himself as he seems to do most of the time. No wonder he gets injured. The other week he was battling against 3 or 4 defensive players with no back up and he got a fans battering that week.
We cannot have a player in that position (on his own) if the rest of the team are going to drift back deep. You have to look at the defence, they should be pushing the team forward and let's admit it our central (most experienced) defence has been lacking this year.
Alex Ferguson always said if you have a good steady defence you have the beginnings of a winning team.

thee alex ferguson who had spent nearly 4 times as much on strikers than defenders.

Not in his first few years, the first thing he did was to get himself a reliable goalkeeper and then a strong central defensive pairing.
Scmeichel, Pallister & Bruce were an amazingly strong unit and they were strong because they worked as a unit. That's why I would like to see Nelson paired with Richards tonight, because individually they're good and they know each other well. I'd just like to see the goalie dominate his area.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I like him when he's fit and think he's offered more than just 20 minutes against Northampton. He's played well in pretty much every game I've seen bar Dorchester. Just not fit often enough though and that's why signing him was a mistake.

G

greenscooby

crownhillpilgrim":23mb0bnf said:
greenscooby":23mb0bnf said:

Facepalm away, I was just pointing out that the question which was being asked wasn't answered :banghead:

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
From what I've seen of Griffiths he has looked quite good. However at 32 it was always going to be the case that the step up was too late for him; he's turning pro at an age when a lot of pro's have retired. A real shame as he had some talent, but I dont expect to see much of him for the rest of the season.

I guess it depends on Argyle's sick pay policy. And from what I understand about SSP, you have to be absent from your place of work for at least 4 days before you can be moved to it. If he's at the club getting fit again, do we enter a murky grey area? He looked useful at Barnet so I'd will him to get fit so we have more striking options. Based on what I saw in my trip to Fleetwood, we need them.

M

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pilgrim":e53tt4hk said:
It's not about a "scapegoat", if you read my original post, i said: IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!

It's a huge step up and a desperate signing from a desperate manager.
Is it a huge step up? Really? Is League 2 really such a high quality league bearing in mind the number of times lower league sides regularly turn over teams in this league (as we well know :oops: )?

Griffiths played for Llanelli in the Europa Cup against Dynamo Tibilisi in 2011 - they beat them 2-1 in the Home leg. How many League 2 teams would have managed that? Sorry I don’t buy that line at all about L2 being such a big step up, the steps get much smaller as you move down the pyramid and I’ve no doubt at all there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of players in all the various lower Leagues who’d comfortably slot into L2 teams successfully.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
He's a fireman like I was and like any fireman worth his sorts, he knows how to play the sick leave. Where does this SSP thing come from? He will be well voiced in taking full pay whilst unavailable, and even more so if it is a due to service injury.

On a serious note, when he came HP my one question was, why has nobody given this apparent goalscoring machine a chance at this level before?

Apr 15, 2008
London
greenscooby":2n5062jt said:
crownhillpilgrim":2n5062jt said:
greenscooby":2n5062jt said:

Facepalm away, I was just pointing out that the question which was being asked wasn't answered :banghead:

There are lots of reasons why you'd pay injured players...

1. If you didn't you'd have players afraid to go into tackles
2. Players would hide injuries and play when injured - you'd have the walking dead out there
3. it's in every player's contract. They're entitled to sick pay like any other perm/ltc employee. If only Argyle refused to pay injured players how many players would want to sign for us? (less than already do want to sign for us)

At least we don't have to pay him a win bonus (not that that's something that bothers us at the moment)

G

greenscooby

Martin_Brock":2cqpgrs1 said:
I guess it depends on Argyle's sick pay policy. And from what I understand about SSP, you have to be absent from your place of work for at least 4 days before you can be moved to it. If he's at the club getting fit again, do we enter a murky grey area? He looked useful at Barnet so I'd will him to get fit so we have more striking options. Based on what I saw in my trip to Fleetwood, we need them.

M

Or go through an injured at work compo claim!!!! :lol:

On a serious note though (although i'm not even remotely sure about this) surely sick pay wouldn't come into this type of contract, it's a case of heres x amount of £'s for an x amount of time, then you'd get all your bonuses on top. If you are unforunate to get injured then we'll do all we can to help you back to full recovery as quickly and safely for you as possible and also for us as we are paying for you not playing - hopefully that makes sense, not a great one for written clarity i'm afraid.

I've used the similarity between if we done/did/had done to us by our place work how would we feel, but i honestly don't think you can compare the two different worlds, apart that is from the manager, but thats already going on in plenty of other threads.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":306jblvi said:
He's a fireman like I was and like any fireman worth his sorts, he knows how to play the sick leave. Where does this SSP thing come from? He will be well voiced in taking full pay whilst unavailable, and even more so if it is a due to service injury.

On a serious note, when he came HP my one question was, why has nobody given this apparent goalscoring machine a chance at this level before?

I'm pretty certain I remember reading that other sides had given him the chance and he'd chosen not to take it.

Jul 3, 2006
Griffiths has looked ok when he's played and the injuries are just bad luck. The real issue is the quality of his replacements. There are 6 other forwards in the squad - Madjo, Feeney, Chadwick, Lecointe, Sims, Vassell (plus you could count Gurrieri and PCH). We probably spend more on strikers than 90% of the league but the money is completely wasted.

Sep 23, 2005
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":1fq12ckq said:
Griffiths has looked ok when he's played and the injuries are just bad luck. The real issue is the quality of his replacements. There are 6 other forwards in the squad - Madjo, Feeney, Chadwick, Lecointe, Sims, Vassell (plus you could count Gurrieri and PCH). We probably spend more on strikers than 90% of the league but the money is completely wasted.

Specially as the best one of those is left on the bench.