Remaining Games for Playoff Chasing Teams (merged) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Remaining Games for Playoff Chasing Teams (merged)

Jul 12, 2016
Lets beat Rochdale first. This could be the season defining game because if we lose I think thats it for this season.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
oldage":2rvjukhd said:
Lets beat Rochdale first. This could be the season defining game because if we lose I think thats it for this season.

This is pretty much the right way to see things in my opinion, but I try not think beyond the first three words.

Let's beat Rochdale.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
CarolinaGreen":3flvb91r said:
Executive Decision to remove Peterborough and Portsmouth. Even if they win their last two, it's highly unlikely to be enough.

Pompey will be out if they don't win both remaining games, although I would fancy them to do just that, 69 points just isn't going to be enough.

Argyle with limitless possibility thanks to matches in hand, but every one is going to be a meat grinder.

Rochdale ?-? Argyle

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Got a wee bit tougher, but I'd thought we'd lose, so I'll take it..

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Edit: The one saving grace we have left is that, with the game against scunny, it's still in our hands.
Edit 2: Noting the goal difference, and that getting in the playoffs, not 5th or 6th, is what matters, a win tonight would still have had us in 7th, and needing to beat Scunthorpe away.

Sep 6, 2006
CarolinaGreen":1piulofs said:
CarolinaGreen":1piulofs said:
Executive Decision to remove Peterborough and Portsmouth. Even if they win their last two, it's highly unlikely to be enough.

Pompey will be out if they don't win both remaining games, although I would fancy them to do just that, 69 points just isn't going to be enough.

Argyle with limitless possibility thanks to matches in hand, but every one is going to be a meat grinder.

Rochdale ?-? Argyle

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Edit: The one saving grace we have left is that, with the game against scunny, it's still in our hands.
Edit 2: Noting the goal difference, and that getting in the playoffs, not 5th or 6th, is what matters, a win tonight would still have had us in 7th, and needing to beat Scunthorpe away.

Not if Charlton drop points. But have nasty feeling they will Blackburn on Saturday now.

Sep 6, 2006
Balham_Green":1oce423k said:
CarolinaGreen":1oce423k said:
CarolinaGreen":1oce423k said:

Rochdale ?-? Argyle

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Charlton ?-? Blackburn
MK Dons ?-? Scunthorpe
Argyle ?-? Rotherham

Scunthorpe ?-? Argyle

Gillingham ?-? Argyle
Rochdale ?-? Charlton
Scunthorpe ?-? Bradford

Current

Not if Charlton drop points. But have nasty feeling they will do Blackburn on Saturday now.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
We have to win at Scunthorpe, otherwise it's no play offs for us. So let's assume we do. I think Scunthorpe will win their other two - against an already relegated MK Dons side and a Bradford team who are awful on the road.

Our best hope is to overhaul Charlton. I can see them getting a maximum 3 pts against an in form Blackburn side going for the title and a tough trip to Rochdale on the last day.

A point against Rotherham and a win against Gillingham should see us sneak in.

7pts from our last 9 available is a must. Tough ask but if we get Taylor back then we have a chance.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Winchelsea Green":t1yzam8e said:
Unlikely sequence of events, but bear with me.

We beat Rotherham, Scunthorpe lose at MKD. Are we in playoffs if we win at Scunthorpe? I can’t see how anyone else apart from Charlton can get 71 points.

Mike

Correct. You can keep on dreaming!

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
On the flip side of the coin, if Charlton better our result this weekend, and Scunthorpe then beat us (irrespective of their result on Saturday), it's game over.

It's going to be a looooooong week.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
A big factor for us is how Rotherham and Gillingham play when the pressure is off. For some teams it inspires them (see us v Hartlepool final day of 15/16), for others it's a demotivation.

Rotherham (barring a miracle) will now finish 4th. Will they rest players on Saturday?

If Oldham or Rochdale lose on Saturday, or if Gillingham win, Gillingham are safe. That could have a real bearing on how they play on the final day too.

Dan Ellard":2t0ydugo said:
A big factor for us is how Rotherham and Gillingham play when the pressure is off. For some teams it inspires them (see us v Hartlepool final day of 15/16), for others it's a demotivation.

Rotherham (barring a miracle) will now finish 4th. Will they rest players on Saturday?

If Oldham or Rochdale lose on Saturday, or if Gillingham win, Gillingham are safe. That could have a real bearing on how they play on the final day too.

You're right. I still shudder at the pasting the Daggers gave us at HP when they were already relegated.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's currently 6 teams looking to win 2 play-off places. Bradford have come back into it and have a game in hand, this Saturday will give us a much clearer picture of what will happen.

Fingers crossed that an inferior goal difference will not cost us for a second season in succession. Scunthorpe are 8 goals better off than us but Charlton are only 4 goals in front of us. If GD is level the deciding factor is goals scored and we are currently 3 goals behind Charlton.

What would happen if we were level with Charlton on everything - points- GD - goals scored? Even the two results between us were the same 2-0 home wins.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
PL2 3DQ":g1ip8w1t said:
What would happen if we were level with Charlton on everything - points- GD - goals scored? Even the two results between us were the same 2-0 home wins.

The EFL choose Charlton because they are in London !

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Dreamgreen":3gve4qss said:
PL2 3DQ":3gve4qss said:

The EFL choose Charlton because they are in London !

What about alphabetical order? Argyle beats Charlton and Athletic so we are in a good position :)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":ni2jd436 said:
It's currently 6 teams looking to win 2 play-off places. Bradford have come back into it and have a game in hand, this Saturday will give us a much clearer picture of what will happen.

Fingers crossed that an inferior goal difference will not cost us for a second season in succession. Scunthorpe are 8 goals better off than us but Charlton are only 4 goals in front of us. If GD is level the deciding factor is goals scored and we are currently 3 goals behind Charlton.

As far as I know, there is no precedent for this in real life but on Football Manager there is a play-off between the two teams held at a neutral venue.

A play-off to get in the play-offs? :)