Quote from The President | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Quote from The President

R

RedGreen

esmer":1b66x91m said:
Being at the match I don't know what Chris said but if he wants to do that job he, as club president, should refrain from making any comment whatsoever which even hints at criticism of the manager, it would be totally wrong for him in his position to in any way to undermine Carl Fletcher.

Get real! If he wants to do a commentary, he has a duty to call it as it is, as he / we see it, other wise he will come across like that clown from the media dept. who always tried to paint a different picture and pretend all was well!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Why does it matter what Chris Webb thinks? Why is his opinion of our performance any more valid or highly regarded than say my own or Esmer's?

At the end of the day, he's just another fan.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
We need Purse and especially Wotton back in the team asap. Wotton may not be the best technically and Purse may be at the twilight of his career, but we need leaders on the pitch. I didn't see any leaders out there tonight.

Oct 24, 2010
RedGreen":hh4ufvla said:
esmer":hh4ufvla said:
Being at the match I don't know what Chris said but if he wants to do that job he, as club president, should refrain from making any comment whatsoever which even hints at criticism of the manager, it would be totally wrong for him in his position to in any way to undermine Carl Fletcher.

Get real! If he wants to do a commentary, he has a duty to call it as it is, as he / we see it, other wise he will come across like that clown from the media dept. who always tried to paint a different picture and pretend all was well!
His position brings with it responsibility and he should not in any way shape or form undermine the manager. My comments were prefixed with a very big "if", as I said I did not listen to the commentary and would be surprised if Chris did anything of the sort.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":4k5bjxnk said:
We need Purse and especially Wotton back in the team asap. Wotton may not be the best technically and Purse may be at the twilight of his career, but we need leaders on the pitch. I didn't see any leaders out there tonight.
Whilst he won't be our savour, I agree he is missed. There's more to him than just mere leadership too. No-one can sit behind the midfield, read the game, scrap for the ball and clean up play as well as him. I don't think he's a CM, I think he's a sweeper/DCM and I think there is a distinction to be made there.

I think the game in which we looked most defensively secure this season was Torquay away, where Wotton played a faultless role behind the midfield.

He isn't technically good at all- but mentally he's excellent. He's an enforcer.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
GreenSam":1a7ooxpp said:
Dan Ellard":1a7ooxpp said:
Whilst he won't be our savour, I agree he is missed. There's more to him than just mere leadership too. No-one can sit behind the midfield, read the game, scrap for the ball and clean up play as well as him. I don't think he's a CM, I think he's a sweeper/DCM and I think there is a distinction to be made there.

I think the game in which we looked most defensively secure this season was Torquay away, where Wotton played a faultless role behind the midfield.

He isn't technically good at all- but mentally he's excellent. He's an enforcer.

Agree. I was trying to work out tonite why this team was failing. We have, probably, some better players than at the tail-end of last season, but, our results are probably worse ?
I think that, however much we desire skilfull players, we need some passion, heart, steel and aggression in this team. Many will disagree but....we don't half miss Walton & Wotton !

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
greenpig27":wshrztkh said:
GreenSam":wshrztkh said:
Dan Ellard":wshrztkh said:

Agree. I was trying to work out tonite why this team was failing. We have, probably, some better players than at the tail-end of last season, but, our results are probably worse ?
I think that, however much we desire skilfull players, we need some passion, heart, steel and aggression in this team. Many will disagree but....we don't half miss Walton & Wotton !
I sometimes think passion is overrated actually.

Often the English have a tendency to turn a blind eye to the downsides of players who run around a lot and look fierce and overlook technical attributes- but I don't think this is the case with Wotton at all. He brings something real and tangible to the team that is more than just airy fairy notions of "heart". He organises the players around him, he (despite his slow legs) has a VERY quick mind and can see the game in front of him perfectly, and that combined with his interception, tackling and general ability to stop people getting the ball past him makes him invaluable to us. He isn't a good technical player, but he's very good at what he does. I do think he's been missed and at times doesn't get the credit on here for what he is good at.

Walton I think is a more complex case in point, but I think you're right to say he too offers the leadership that we lack.

Feb 21, 2011
I'd have Walton back in a heartbeat. We also missed Hourihane tonight, oh and any goalkeeper that had ever been prepared to catch the ball.

Aug 19, 2009
John Cooper":3u437twa said:
Westbury Green":3u437twa said:
It's not working, not coming together, on the match commentary Burton Game. Yes at last somebody has realised.

Well Mr President, you need to say that to the Chairman.

That is where the problem lies, as he can't due to the fact that we still don't have a chairman!!

Aug 19, 2009
Dan Ellard":3k1r27fd said:
With Wotton and Purse unavailable at the moment, I would gladly have Walton back in the side.

Your wish may come true yet as he is being slated by the Hartlepool press and fans for being far too lazy!! Hmmmm bells ringing there I think!!

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
So then not only would we have a CM player who can't pass, but can't tackle or move either. To be fair he was OK at winning headers v most League 2 centre midfielders, but for that to be your only asset at this level, alongside taking a good penalty, with his history and pedigree was pretty shambolic. He lacked fitness and stamina and got ran through by anyone willing to have a go. Wotton arriving showed us what a true enforcer looks like - solid in the air, in the challenge and very hard to get past. Walton only looked decent defensively alongside a young and raw Hourihane, but even Conor could probably put in a stronger challenge nowadays. Anyway enough moaning about him again.

With regards to Chris Webb, if he's invited on the radio then reflecting the situation on the pitch is pretty much the whole point of being there. When Argyle fans feel pretty disenfranchised and that Brent is out of touch, and every representative, journo and official club article is scared to discuss Fletcher's future, it's refreshing to have someone at least say something. And at the end of the day 'I don't think it's working' is hardly the most scathing thing to say after losing to Dorchester and then Burton at home.