PSG V Utd | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

PSG V Utd

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2inpvzyg said:
And still you dont understand the rules!

There isn't any RULES to learn. There are 17 laws and if you didn't know that you should go and hide instead of pretending to be mister know it all.

I do accept though that you THINK you know the laws of the game and it seems that you THINK you know them better than UEFA following their statement on the issue ;)

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":3alvqod2 said:
Balham_Green":3alvqod2 said:

There isn't any RULES to learn. There are 17 laws and if you didn't know that you should go and hide instead of pretending to be mister know it all.

I do accept though that you THINK you know the laws of the game and it seems that you THINK you know them better than UEFA following their statement on the issue ;)

Your first para makes no sense at all. Firstly you need to know the accidental hand ball rule(which uefa appears to be trying to change halfway through the season). Secondly you need to be able to interpret it. The ref on the night and yourself obviously unable to. To suggest that by jumping up to block the ball at close range is intentional handball shows you have poor judgement. Of course uefa are;always right arent they and would never close ranks with their own ref!

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":24zjd1nv said:
Lundan Cabbie":24zjd1nv said:
Balham_Green":24zjd1nv said:

Your first para makes no sense at all. Firstly you need to know the accidental hand ball rule(which uefa appears to be trying to change halfway through the season). Secondly you need to be able to interpret it. The ref on the night and yourself obviously unable to. To suggest that by jumping up to block the ball at close range is intentional handball shows you have poor judgement. Of course uefa are;always right arent they and would never close ranks with their own ref!

There isn't a rule. What you mean is, Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct. UEFA can't change the Laws of the Game. That can only be done by IFAB.

On handling the ball, Law 12 says certain things should be considered including "the movement of the hand/arm towards the ball" and "the distance between the opponent and the ball."

UEFA have confirmed that in the opinion of the referee on the night, the defender jumping into the path of the ball and turning his back constituted a deliberate act of movement of the arm towards the ball. Also that the referee gave considerable thought to the distance between the shot being made and hitting the defender's arm before making his decision after watching the VAR replay.

Now you are entitled to have a different opinion but unfortunately there is one line in the laws of the game that means your opinion doesn't matter........ The REFEREE'S decision is FINAL!

Maybe you could write to IFAB and ask them to change it to "Balham Green's decision is final because his interpretation is the only one that matters"

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":129cacdd said:
Balham_Green":129cacdd said:
Lundan Cabbie":129cacdd said:
Balham_Green":129cacdd said:

There isn't a rule. What you mean is, Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct. UEFA can't change the Laws of the Game. That can only be done by IFAB.

On handling the ball, Law 12 says certain things should be considered including "the movement of the hand/arm towards the ball" and "the distance between the opponent and the ball."

UEFA have confirmed that in the opinion of the referee on the night, the defender jumping into the path of the ball and turning his back constituted a deliberate act of movement of the arm towards the ball. Also that the referee gave considerable thought to the distance between the shot being made and hitting the defender's arm before making his decision after watching the VAR replay.

Now you are entitled to have a different opinion but unfortunately there is one line in the laws of the game that means your opinion doesn't matter........ The REFEREE'S decision is FINAL!

Maybe you could write to IFAB and ask them to change it to "Balham Green's decision is final because his interpretation is the only one that matters"

Rules/laws. Very pedantic arent you? Ok they may not change the rules but they are changing the interpretation. You also require some common sense.How can jumping in to the path of the ball constitute a deliberate movement of the arm to the ball? The result therefore is that players cannot jump in case it accidentally hits their hand/arm! More experienced people than me OR YOU agree.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
The point is BG he jumped in front of the path of the ball with his arm away from his body which made him bigger and it harder for the ball to get past him. He was looking directly at the ball for about half of its flight before he looked away. I also thought it was quite telling that he didnā€™t complain much himself. He knew what heā€™d done and his reaction when it was awarded said a lot to me.

BTW, Iā€™m not saying I want the last word on this, I just donā€™t want to spend the next 3 weeks of my life arguing the same point when you clearly wonā€™t agree.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Balham_Green":35gz8hoj said:
Lundan Cabbie":35gz8hoj said:
Lundan Cabbie":35gz8hoj said:

Rules/laws. Very pedantic arent you? Ok they may not change the rules but they are changing the interpretation. You also require some common sense.How can jumping in to the path of the ball constitute a deliberate movement of the arm to the ball? The result therefore is that players cannot jump in case it accidentally hits their hand/arm! More experienced people than me OR YOU agree.

More experienced people than you (not LC, 25 years a ref makes him as qualified as any on this) disagree with you also; it's a game of opinions afterall and it seems the laws accommodate for that by giving the final say to the referee.

I for one have found this thread very entertaining, you floundering away calling people clueless in your usual rude and arrogant manner before being well and truly slapped down with not only opinions from professional referees on the tele but an actual referee telling you that you don't even know they're called laws let alone what they actually say; a marvellous spectacle, bravo to all involved.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3h7huc10 said:
The point is BG he jumped in front of the path of the ball with his arm away from his body which made him bigger and it harder for the ball to get past him. He was looking directly at the ball for about half of its flight before he looked away. I also thought it was quite telling that he didnā€™t complain much himself. He knew what heā€™d done and his reaction when it was awarded said a lot to me.

BTW, Iā€™m not saying I want the last word on this, I just donā€™t want to spend the next 3 weeks of my life arguing the same point when you clearly wonā€™t agree.

You havent explained Daz how you can jump with your arm next to your body. To gain momentum its not possible.

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":2c1v942u said:
Balham_Green":2c1v942u said:
Lundan Cabbie":2c1v942u said:
Lundan Cabbie":2c1v942u said:

More experienced people than you (not LC, 25 years a ref makes him as qualified as any on this) disagree with you also; it's a game of opinions afterall and it seems the laws accommodate for that by giving the final say to the referee.

I for one have found this thread very entertaining, you floundering away calling people clueless in your usual rude and arrogant manner before being well and truly slapped down with not only opinions from professional referees on the tele but an actual referee telling you that you don't even know they're called laws let alone what they actually say; a marvellous spectacle, bravo to all involved.

1. Ah so the fact they are called laws not rules proves everything does it? 2. Where is it shown I dont know what the rules say? Even London cabbie accepts the intentional rule/law and that the decision was open to interpretation either way; 3. Actually I am a qualified ref myself and also done my bit over many years!; 4. It was 0ne opinion from a referee on tv as against the opinion of a ref in the newspaper so whose is more valid? The general opinion of most on here including mods is that profesional refs dont know what they are doing anyway. Especially when decisons go against Argyle; 5. Where I have used clueless on this thread?
So not one of your points is valid. Takes some doing!

Actually i can answer point 4 for you so you dont need to worry! The tv ref had 2 years as linesman with Fifa whilst Hackett had 10 years as Fifa ref followed by referees assessor. Far more experienced. But I guess you guys know more than him. Fair enough!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
1. Point to where I said that
2. In your posts, obviously
3. I hope that's not true
4. I'm not the one claiming any one expert is right here
5. Swap clueless for "unable to interpret", "lack knowledge", "you don't understand" and "what qualifications do you have"
6. I've prepared another number for your next rambling

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":1tiu6l4w said:
5. Swap clueless for "unable to interpret", "lack knowledge", "you don't understand" and "what qualifications do you have"

Re. Point 2 show me where I have got the rules/laws wrong then. And where Keith Hackett(less experienced than you of course) obviously has also. POINT 3. Are you suggesting I am a liar;? Point 4 you came up with the tv ref as an example of how I must be wrong!; point 5. Where have I asked about qualifications and does that mean the same as 'clueless' anyway?
Like most things this comes down to interpretation. LondoCabbie may be an expert on the rules(he even knows they are called laws - well done) but using them in a match situation is different as we see regularly at Home Park.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":2t1517v9 said:
Daz":2t1517v9 said:

You havent explained Daz how you can jump with your arm next to your body. To gain momentum its not possible.

So, if you can only jump by moving your arm, to get momentum, then you are making your body wider by jumping and thereby gaining an advantage? When the ball strikes your extended, momentum giving, advantage seeking arm then it is a penalty, neh? ;-)

Jan 2, 2005
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1i5gp1nu said:
Ollieargyle9":1i5gp1nu said:

Re. Point 2 show me where I have got the rules/laws wrong then. And where Keith Hackett(less experienced than you of course) obviously has also. POINT 3. Are you suggesting I am a liar;? Point 4 you came up with the tv ref as an example of how I must be wrong!; point 5. Where have I asked about qualifications and does that mean the same as 'clueless' anyway?
Like most things this comes down to interpretation. LondoCabbie may be an expert on the rules(he even knows they are called laws - well done) but using them in a match situation is different as we see regularly at Home Park.

Your reaction to the 'laws not rules' statement also leads me to doubt you are a qualified referee. All referees use that comeback when somebody insinuates that they "don't know the rules."

As for the penalty argument, I'm one more person who agrees with the ref. He put his hand up with the intention of making himself bigger and blocking the shot

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":2xj3gyh5 said:
Balham_Green":2xj3gyh5 said:
Daz":2xj3gyh5 said:

So, if you can only jump by moving your arm, to get momentum, then you are making your body wider by jumping and thereby gaining an advantage? When the ball strikes your extended, momentum giving, advantage seeking arm then it is a penalty, neh? ;-)

No. Because its not intentional hand ball is it?

Sep 6, 2006
dani_B":1bamnn2z said:
Balham_Green":1bamnn2z said:
Ollieargyle9":1bamnn2z said:

Your reaction to the 'laws not rules' statement also leads me to doubt you are a qualified referee. All referees use that comeback when somebody insinuates that they "don't know the rules."

As for the penalty argument, I'm one more person who agrees with the ref. He put his hand up with the intention of making himself bigger and blocking the shot

You can doubt all you like sunshine but I am not a liar and have the badge to prove it. I also can distinguish between intentional hand ball and somebody jumping to block a ball with the arm attached to the body funny enough. If more proof were needed check how many Man. U players seriously appealed for it.