PSG V Utd | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

PSG V Utd

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":jfqhx7yz said:
Lundan Cabbie":jfqhx7yz said:
Lundan Cabbie":jfqhx7yz said:
Never a pen in a million years. Accidental. Var is supposed to improve decision making not make it worse.

This is very subjective so to rule it out EVER being a pen is a bit blinkered. I accept your interpretation though.

Another interpretation. I know the defender didn’t intend to handle the ball but to jump and turn your back IS a deliberate action. That deliberate action meant his arm propelled the ball. Had he not jumped and turned his back the ball wouldn’t have hit his arm. Therefore I can accept the referee awarding the pen.

His arm DIDNT propel the ball. It just hit it. It was accidental as you say so not a penalty. Ever!

It didn’t just hit his arm though. He jumped into it’s path. You can’t accidentally jump.

So if you jump and it hits your hand its handball now is it? Wouldnt wanted to have played with you as a ref.

I'm just saying, the way the law is written currently it can be interpreted as such. Your argument just seems to be that YOU don't think it should be given as handball.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Lundan Cabbie":8k76yg5y said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":8k76yg5y said:
Balham_Green":8k76yg5y said:
Balham_Green":8k76yg5y said:
Never a pen in a million years. Accidental. Var is supposed to improve decision making not make it worse.

This is very subjective so to rule it out EVER being a pen is a bit blinkered. I accept your interpretation though.

Another interpretation. I know the defender didn’t intend to handle the ball but to jump and turn your back IS a deliberate action. That deliberate action meant his arm propelled the ball. Had he not jumped and turned his back the ball wouldn’t have hit his arm. Therefore I can accept the referee awarding the pen.

His arm DIDNT propel the ball. It just hit it. It was accidental as you say so not a penalty. Ever!

It didn’t just hit his arm though. He jumped into it’s path. You can’t accidentally jump.

I see what you're saying, but no defender worth their salt doesn't jump when a shot is coming in. If my team conceded a penalty for handball where the defender was standing two metres away from a ball being kicked at 60mph, I'd spend the rest of time consumed with fury. Luckily for the PSG fans they'll probably all be supporting Lyon or Monaco again in ten years time :greensmile:

I'm just offering an alternative interpretation and suggesting that both decisions on this occasion can be talked up as being correct.

Those PSG fans would have accepted the decision gleefully had it been at the other end. We can all be guilty of that when it is our team.

Exactly this. I've seen a lot softer pens given than last night - hell, Argyle have probably been awarded softer pens in the past and I don't recall us arguing against them.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":15ov4cbv said:
Balham_Green":15ov4cbv said:

So if you jump and it hits your hand its handball now is it? Wouldnt wanted to have played with you as a ref.

I'm just saying, the way the law is written currently it can be interpreted as such. Your argument just seems to be that YOU don't think it should be given as handball.

You obviously havent read the thread properly then! My argument is that it was accidental which it clearly was. Your argument is ridiculous because you are saying because the player jumped it could be interpreted as intentional. You are not therefore able to interpret the law. Which says the hand or arm must INTENTIONALLY move towards the ball not the body which the arm is attached to!

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
He blocked a shot with his arm as he jumped up and made himself as big as he could. The fact he was was looking the other way has nothing to do with it. If that was a rule a wall at a free kick would all have their backs turned and jump with their arms up in the air. They don’t as they know it would be handball if it hit their arm.

100% penalty and the laws of the game confirm it. BG, you may want to read up on them again.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3ur960ay said:
He blocked a shot with his arm as he jumped up and made himself as big as he could. The fact he was was looking the other way has nothing to do with it. If that was a rule a wall at a free kick would all have their backs turned and jump with their arms up in the air. They don’t as they know it would be handball if it hit their arm.

100% penalty and the laws of the game confirm it. BG, you may want to read up on them again.

Either YOU havent Read the rules or are unable to interpret them. You are more knowledgable than Keith Hackett who categorically states it wasnt a pen, are you? What was he supposed to do with his arm? Amputate it?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":2brx5mxw said:
Daz":2brx5mxw said:

Either YOU havent Read the rules or are unable to interpret them. You are more knowledgable than Keith Hackett who categorically states it wasnt a pen, are you? What was he supposed to do with his arm? Amputate it?

You quote Keith Hackett and I can quote the referee who was at the game, the VAR officials, the ref who is the BT sports analyst, Steven Gerrard even the PSG manager who thought it was 50/50. He is supposed to keep his arms by his side when trying to block. There are many of examples of it. Watch Chris Smalling when he goes to block the shot that they hit the post with.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":szcc5opl said:
Balham_Green":szcc5opl said:
Daz":szcc5opl said:

You quote Keith Hackett and I can quote the referee who was at the game, the VAR officials, the ref who is the BT sports analyst, Steven Gerrard even the PSG manager who thought it was 50/50. He is supposed to keep his arms by his side when trying to block. There are many of examples of it. Watch Chris Smalling when he goes to block the shot that they hit the post with.

VAR officials only flag it up as a possible they didnt SAY it was a pen. So you dont understand the process. Gerrard is a ref now is he? Who was the BT analyst?
So he is supposed to jump with his arm by his side is he? :funny: Or perhaps he should have had his arm amputated first?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
So UEFA are wrong too then as they don’t agree with you?

I told you how you block without raising your arms and advised you on how to see an example of it, stop talking about having arms amputated, it comes across as being odd.

Now, I’ve enjoyed trying to engage with you, I know I won’t change your mind so I’ll leave it there. :thumbs:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":5pwsp126 said:
Daz":5pwsp126 said:
Balham_Green":5pwsp126 said:
Daz":5pwsp126 said:

VAR officials only flag it up as a possible they didnt SAY it was a pen. So you dont understand the process. Gerrard is a ref now is he? Who was the BT analyst?
So he is supposed to jump with his arm by his side is he? :funny: Or perhaps he should have had his arm amputated first?

If Steven Gerrard isn't qualified to have an opinion what is yours?

The BT ex-referee analyst who was adamant it was a pen was Peter Walton who has 9 years of experience refereeing in the PL and in the Football League before that.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1vr50ylf said:
Balham_Green":1vr50ylf said:
Daz":1vr50ylf said:
Balham_Green":1vr50ylf said:
Daz":1vr50ylf said:

The BT ex-referee analyst who was adamant it was a pen was Peter Walton who has 9 years of experience refereeing in the PL and in the Football League before that.

And equally what is yours?

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":26mtsn0b said:
So UEFA are wrong too then as they don’t agree with you?

I told you how you block without raising your arms and advised you on how to see an example of it, stop talking about having arms amputated, it comes across as being odd.

Now, I’ve enjoyed trying to engage with you, I know I won’t change your mind so I’ll leave it there. :thumbs:

Ah the old Im making the last point and wont hear any more of it! You said how to block but not how to JUMP! And of course Uefa never get anything wrong!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3fcvjymd said:
Lundan Cabbie":3fcvjymd said:
Daz":3fcvjymd said:
Daz":3fcvjymd said:

And equally what is yours?

Well I qualified in 1977 and did my bit on and off for 25 years.