Positives if we are relegated | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

May 8, 2011
As someone who goes to all the away games, the positives of league 1 are:
More southern teams so less travelling, so cheaper.
Weekends in much nicer places than the Championships such as Lincoln, Cambridge, Mansfield and hopefully Oxford.
A potential visit to a quaint non league ground in the early rounds of the FA Cup.

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse
Oct 10, 2018
As someone who goes to all the away games, the positives of league 1 are:
More southern teams so less travelling, so cheaper.
Weekends in much nicer places than the Championships such as Lincoln, Cambridge, Mansfield and hopefully Oxford.
A potential visit to a quaint non league ground in the early rounds of the FA Cup.
Manfield your joking right, red brink & gloomy

Jul 6, 2005
Capacity has only really been an issue in the last couple of seasons though. Even when we had our last spell in the Championship we rarely sold out, and by the end we were down to 10k or so.
As has been very apparent all season, the Championship now is a different Division to what it was the last time we were relegated.

Also, crowds are generally up at all levels, including Non-League. The days of Argyle only getting 12-13000 at this level are long-gone, wherever we are in the table.

We needed a 22000 capacity stadium this season and because we don't, we have lost a lot of money, as we will again next season if we stay up.

I know people will say we can't afford it and it's easy to spend other people's money, etc. etc. But our short-sightedness in failing to plan for success will continue to damage us. The failure of planning includes the lack of corporate facilities as well.

We have had a sell-out season but our average gate should have been around the 20000 mark at least.

Without a major benefactor, it's hard to see us becoming a sustainable Championship club on 16500 gates.

Jul 6, 2011
Just to lessen the nerves slightly:

League one should be financially much weaker next season than when we were last there - With Portsmouth, Derby and possibly Bolton coming up the big clubs will mostly have left the division. (Although Wrexham will no doubt continue to have vast sums invested).

With,by League One standards, huge season ticket sales (which I think will largely hold up in league one), hospitality income, and sales of Cooper, Whittaker Hardie and Gibson, all of whom are too good for league one, we should have one of the highest playing budgets in the division and have some left over for investment in facilities without requiring more money put in. Some of our other players not quite up to championship standard at the moment may thrive a division below.

We will be big fish in a small pond again.
Frankly in your league 1 scenario I would say as Cooper, Whittaker Hardie and Gibson would be part of the reason for our 'relegation' they should stay to help rectify the situation, and too good for league 1... Unproven as yet.

Jul 12, 2016
As has been very apparent all season, the Championship now is a different Division to what it was the last time we were relegated.

Also, crowds are generally up at all levels, including Non-League. The days of Argyle only getting 12-13000 at this level are long-gone, wherever we are in the table.

We needed a 22000 capacity stadium this season and because we don't, we have lost a lot of money, as we will again next season if we stay up.

I know people will say we can't afford it and it's easy to spend other people's money, etc. etc. But our short-sightedness in failing to plan for success will continue to damage us. The failure of planning includes the lack of corporate facilities as well.

We have had a sell-out season but our average gate should have been around the 20000 mark at least.

Without a major benefactor, it's hard to see us becoming a sustainable Championship club on 16500 gates.
How can you possibly know that” the days of Argyle only getting 12 -13000 at this level are long gone wherever we are the table” We have had sell out crowds because we have enjoyed unprecedented success in the past few seasons and there has been the novelty factor. If we are relegated or struggle again in the championship the size of the crowd is more likely to be decided by who we are playing. It is not short sightedness by the club but ,unlike many fans, a desire to keep us sustainable.

Reactions: jimsing
Jan 6, 2004
Frankly in your league 1 scenario I would say as Cooper, Whittaker Hardie and Gibson would be part of the reason for our 'relegation' they should stay to help rectify the situation, and too good for league 1... Unproven as yet.
No, they are not unproven. Relegation does not mean every player in the team is not proven to be championship standard. Cooper Whittaker Hardie and Gibson have proven they are (Cooper knocking on door of PL standard). Jury out on a handful of others. Some plainly are not.

Jan 6, 2004
After a record points season and promotion there was always going to be a feel good factor. If past experience is anything to go by ,attendances will drop next season if we struggle now the novelty has worn off.
You are failing to factor in the fact that interest could drop off considerably and we would still fill the stadium to capacity. There are thousands on the season ticket waiting list. IF we stay up, the club could sell out the stadium on season tickets alone. If we go down and are competing for the play offs or better I still feel we will approach or hit home capacity every game. A mediocre season in league one and I accept crowds will start to drop off.

Jul 12, 2016
You are failing to factor in the fact that interest could drop off considerably and we would still fill the stadium to capacity. There are thousands on the season ticket waiting list. IF we stay up, the club could sell out the stadium on season tickets alone. If we go down and are competing for the play offs or better I still feel we will approach or hit home capacity every game. A mediocre season in league one and I accept crowds will start to drop off.
I doubt very much that we will sell out many home games in the championship next season if we continue to struggle. Don’t forget ST holders bought their tickets before this season commenced on the back of last season’s promotion. How many of the “new “supporters will renew their ST based on what they have witnessed since Christmas at a presumably higher cost ?Only time will tell.