Points based ticket priority | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Points based ticket priority

Jun 9, 2006
Exmuff
I think a points based systems like the Palace one above is the way forward - reward your most loyal though not a closed shop. For away games I would like to see an allocation go to fans in nearby postcodes (up to 30%) . So local exiled Argyle fans can get to the games nearby - keeping them involved and hopefully spreading the argyle fanbase to friends and family. It would be more sustainable/environmentally friendly to have local argyle fans attend the games cutting down on travel.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
LC - Thanks for sharing this - I personally find it interesting and beneficial to see how other clubs operate and especially a non top 6 prem team ( as this I feel is the ceiling of where, even the most optimistic Argyle supporter thinks we can inspire to….)

The prem to me we be a massive wake up call to the majority of Argyle fans as and when we make it 😎

COYG
Living in Plymouth when Palace were in the Championship, I could decide to go to a game at the weekend on the Friday and for most matches could get a ticket that late in the day. In the Premier League I cannot do that. I would have to plan to go a month before when tickets went on sale. In the end I just decided that despite all the travel my best option was to become a season ticket holder once again. When Argyle get there, many Green Army members will have to alter their supporting culture.

Reactions: twist of lime
Apr 29, 2022
Some sort of loyalty system has to be a good thing, there were so many people at the Chelsea game who weren't season ticket holders or who don't even attend games regularly

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
Some sort of loyalty system has to be a good thing, there were so many people at the Chelsea game who weren't season ticket holders or who don't even attend games regularly
Not sure how any loyalty scheme is going to stop season ticket holders using their priority to buy tickets for other people. In fact, it might actually encourage this if it means loyalty points being earned for a match they wouldn't normally have attended themselves.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
From somebody who uses a Loyalty Points system I think it is totally fair. Loyalty points really come into their own for matches where there are fewer tickets than demand. That means that those who go the most don't get overtaken by the occasional supporter. Last season Brentford away was the perfect example. A new stadium, a small away allocation and relative close travel wise. It was bound to be a popular away trip but those who go to games the most often got priority. That's not a closed shop, it's just keeping it fair. If somebody has to miss out then why should Mr Two Away Games Per Season get a ticket at the expense of somebody who follows the club more often?

How do you build your fan base tho if the same people go to every match??

Reactions: smudja

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
How do you build your fan base tho if the same people go to every match??
It isn't the same people going to every match though. There is a cap on the number of season tickets. There has to be room and availability for supporters who can't get to every game. Ideally an increase in capacity would help but that can be easier said than done. As for away games, those who go to all of them have the away season ticket option. For everyone else, Loyalty Points means there is an orderly queue.

Reactions: SWTT
Feb 21, 2011
I voted no, Season tickets should always get priority in my view that's what you're paying for, priority to sit in the seat you choose, priority to buy FA cup tickets, Priority for derby games etc. if like them up the road they have a tinpot stadium that only holds 1000 away fans take your chance in the queue, this smacks of appeasement to a vocal minority in my opinion.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I voted no, Season tickets should always get priority in my view that's what you're paying for, priority to sit in the seat you choose, priority to buy FA cup tickets, Priority for derby games etc. if like them up the road they have a tinpot stadium that only holds 1000 away fans take your chance in the queue, this smacks of appeasement to a vocal minority in my opinion.
It isn't just at places like Exeter where away allocations are less than the number of season ticket holders. It is virtually every away game. When Argyle reach the Premier League the away allocation will be 3,000 max. There is no way that you can give priority to ALL season ticket holders. A scheme such as a Loyalty Points can only help to smooth things.

pafc cobbie08

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Nov 16, 2008
Hampshire
How many people in this thread have actually read the article? SEASON TICKET HOLDERS STILL GET PRIORITY! 230 points for instance before the season starts. Go to away games and you'll have even more priority.
Points system simply has to happen. Weird how pretty much every other club has it implemented?

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Fair point. But Argyle are not like every other club and just because they do something doesn't mean that we follow suit. It's important to do the right thing.(eg Project35)

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
If a points based system rewards attendance at matches it has to be the "right thing" to do. Its not really "if" but "how" they implement it thats the important thing for me. The sooner the better please.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
One of the problems with automatically giving priority to ST holders is that they can just flog their tickets to big games. I know people who got tickets to Chelsea away who barely ever go to Home Park, just because they happened to know a season-ticket holder who fancied a bit of cash in their pocket. Whereas regular attendees who don't go often enough to justify a season ticket (or live nowhere near HP, something that's very common among Argyle fans of course) missed out. There's no easy solution, but I do think that recognising attendance by non-ST holders is reasonable.

It's not just an Argyle problem of course. It's fairly common in Spain for people to buy a season ticket to Granada or Rayo Vallecano or whoever for €150, sell their tickets for the Barca and Madrid home games for €75 each, and enjoy free top-flight football for the season. Easy really.

Reactions: saxman
Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
I just think that season ticket holders should have priority - they put their money where their mouths are at the start of each season. I also feel that long standing season ticket holders should have priority over recent season ticket holders. As we now have 8000+ season ticket holders (which is great!) there will undoubtably be a scramble for tickets away at say Exeter & Bristol Rovers. Therefore I am wholly in favour of a points based system - this will at least make the process orderly and avoid a mess. Each supporter will then know exactly how they rank in the system. It obviously works for Premiership clubs. Let's plan ahead now. Any system is bound to upset some, but it's better than doing nothing!

Reactions: greenpig27 and SWTT
May 3, 2019
One of the problems with automatically giving priority to ST holders is that they can just flog their tickets to big games. I know people who got tickets to Chelsea away who barely ever go to Home Park, just because they happened to know a season-ticket holder who fancied a bit of cash in their pocket. Whereas regular attendees who don't go often enough to justify a season ticket (or live nowhere near HP, something that's very common among Argyle fans of course) missed out. There's no easy solution, but I do think that recognising attendance by non-ST holders is reasonable.

It's not just an Argyle problem of course. It's fairly common in Spain for people to buy a season ticket to Granada or Rayo Vallecano or whoever for €150, sell their tickets for the Barca and Madrid home games for €75 each, and enjoy free top-flight football for the season. Easy really.
Anyone want my home tickets to Pompey or Exeter, only £212.50 each? Free L1 football for me 😁 … apart from the two most anticipated matches of the season 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Lundan Cabbie