Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread)

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
I have lived away from Plymouth now for 25 years. Having lived in Cardiff, Lossiemouth, Elgin, Leuchars, Dundee, Norwich and Lincoln i can honestly say that all these cites/towns have some really grotty looking areas. Lots of boarded up shops.
Every time i visit Plymouth they always seem to be digging up the city centre, for a "new vision"!!!
I think the major issue with Plymouth city centre is:

1, The size of it. It is very well spread out down two long streets, lots of potential shops to fill.
2, The bottom end of town, down by the market is just out of touch and needs to be modernised.
3, More people shop on line so you will lose lots of retail space in city centres.
4, Parking is rubbish and expensive. However the bus service is good, long at times but compared to other places i have lived its good.

Plymouth is an old city, rebuilt cheaply after the war. Yet when i look at the price of houses, equal to my own 4 bed detached, the prices are silly high.

However that said the Barbican and Hoe is simply stunning, You do not find that anywhere else. Granted places have open areas by the sea but it is a special place.

I will end up retiring down in or near Plymouth so hopefully some council will get a grip and invest in the city centre.