Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread)

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Have to agree with Butternubs, above. The UK doesn't do cities very well. I would say York stands out and, you know, maybe Plymouth.
But I don't think we have anything like the 4 great Italian cities, Stockholm, Bergen, Bruges, Seville, Riga and many, many others.
One of the things that keeps Italian cities alive is the fact the shops stay open until quite late, hence lots of central restaurants and bars are still buzzing well into the night.
I tell you what though, I think English cities are a lot cleaner than many of their European counterparts. There is a lot of litter about in Italy, unfortunately. I really don't understand it, all to do with money, or a lack of, I guess.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Many a European City is blighted by awful graffiti.

I visited Lisbon a few years ago and it was so bad it definitely detracted from the beauty we should have been enjoyed.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
Recently had my first walkthrough the City Centre for sometime. I don't think the issue is the architecture (I accept it could be better) the real issue is the empty shops and the general lack of investment in the streets etc. The former is down to a combination of general downturn in retail because of the increase in on-line purchasing and the economic problems that are greater in Plymouth and further west than in other parts of the south (can't speak for the grim north). The mistakes of constant tinkering with Armada Way have left it an unattractive mess. Clearly the council don't have the money for significant investment and the lack of marginal constituencies in the area mean that neither major party see the area as worth bribing unlike parts of the north. The city has never attracted well paid replacement of the the jobs lost in the Yard and associated industries which runs to at least 10000. The city has also suffered by not having high profile supporters in either of the main parties nor in high ranking naval officers in a position to affect decision making. Perhaps the council should be encouraging shops to move to the top end vacant shops and turn the western end of the centre into a combination of residential and restaurants/bistros/cafes.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Have to agree with Butternubs, above. The UK doesn't do cities very well. I would say York stands out and, you know, maybe Plymouth.
But I don't think we have anything like the 4 great Italian cities, Stockholm, Bergen, Bruges, Seville, Riga and many, many others.
One of the things that keeps Italian cities alive is the fact the shops stay open until quite late, hence lots of central restaurants and bars are still buzzing well into the night.
I tell you what though, I think English cities are a lot cleaner than many of their European counterparts. There is a lot of litter about in Italy, unfortunately. I really don't understand it, all to do with money, or a lack of, I guess.

There are a few big northern cities that I'd happily live in. I really like Sheffield, York, Liverpool and Newcastle. Manchester less so, and I've always been underwhelmed by Leeds, but the others are all vibrant places full of culture and energy. Sheffield would be my pick from the above because of its brilliant pubs and its green spaces.

Honorable shout out to Belfast too (at least the city centre) - what a transformation from how it was 20 years ago.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
There are a few big northern cities that I'd happily live in. I really like Sheffield, York, Liverpool and Newcastle. Manchester less so, and I've always been underwhelmed by Leeds, but the others are all vibrant places full of culture and energy. Sheffield would be my pick from the above because of its brilliant pubs and its green spaces.

Honorable shout out to Belfast too (at least the city centre) - what a transformation from how it was 20 years ago.
I went to University in Sheffield and its a great city but also with massive problems and slum estates. It was the only city which sits partly within a National Park. Two great universities and a great nightlife but saying that, no Plymouth Hoe, Barbican or Stonehouse, and a city centre which is by no means better than Plymouth's. Mind you Sheffield is also twice the size of Plymouth, so a better night life and busier town centre would be expected.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Are you ready for the new government? :oops:
Indeed I am. I predicted Georgia Meloni would become PM a few years ago. She is a very likeable and approachable character and I hope she does well.
However, she has that far right tag hanging over her, which she seems to want to soften a bit. And then, of course, there is a very quick turnaround of governments here. I think Fratelli d'Italia will be the 68th since WWII. Incredible!!

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Indeed I am. I predicted Georgia Meloni would become PM a few years ago. She is a very likeable and approachable character and I hope she does well.
However, she has that far right tag hanging over her, which she seems to want to soften a bit. And then, of course, there is a very quick turnaround of governments here. I think Fratelli d'Italia will be the 68th since WWII. Incredible!!
Is she more right wing than the Tory party?

• Haha
Reactions: Lousy Pint

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
The only thing I can complain about the city is that being a music fan, the lack of decent venues. Apart from The Pavilions, which I think is awful what else is there? I guess it's a large-ish venue but Plymouth needs at least one mid size venue to begin with. Up to 1000 capacity. Im sure Exeter has better venues.

Nov 18, 2011
The only thing I can complain about the city is that being a music fan, the lack of decent venues. Apart from The Pavilions, which I think is awful what else is there? I guess it's a large-ish venue but Plymouth needs at least one mid size venue to begin with. Up to 1000 capacity. Im sure Exeter has better venues.
A bit like attracting some players, Plymouth's location has always been a put off to many bands touring.
They'd far rather bounce around venues in the South East/Midlands which may just involve a couple of hours of travelling.
Hence why Bristol is often as near as they'll get to the South West.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

The old Millennium is being turned into something like that, I believe.

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
It could be worse - you could be living in Portsmouth.

Portsmouth train station is the dictionary definition of 'despair'. I had a freelance gig in Portsmouth a few years ago. Getting there was an experience, as I had to use Southern Fail. If that wasn't a bad enough omen, the whole town looked like an army had recently just pulled out, and someone in the office I worked out of asked my how I found Portsmouth. I think I replied, "Its like Mordor, on a bad day."

Absolute pit with no redeeming features. You could level it, and it would be an improvement.

So, put into that context, Plymouth is like the hanging gardens of Babylon.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Reviving this old thread, my wife and I are down visiting family for Christmas and popped into town today. The mall was much as before - a few different names but good to see most space seemed occupied. Was surprised the top floor restaurant was closed though as that always seemed busy when I was in there.

But .. what has happened outside? It’s probably two years since I last went in there and we were genuinely shocked at the state of the place. Clearly a lot of the big name stores have gone and left their wake a combination of boarded up buildings, fast food outlets, the odd independent retailer and a sprinkling of ‘brands’ here and there.

The decline had started before we left but in two years it’s clearly been devastating and much worse than I had imagined. I know the high street is suffering everywhere but it’s very sad to see what’s happening to your home city. Some creative thinking is definitely needed between PCC and land/estate owners. Change of use for a big chunk of it seems most sensible to me.

Reactions: Paul H