Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth compared to other cities (split thread)

Aug 5, 2015
Nearly all cities have their good points and their bad points. But Plymouth will always be home. There aren’t too many places in the UK where you can get anything like the view you get walking along Mountbatten Pier. Certainly not Sheffield for example.

I know it’s the hardest time to find new infrastructure investment, with the recession only worsening, but surely now is the time to consider how the housing crisis could provide the solution to dying town centres and boarded up shops. Bricks and mortar retailing is in long term decline, but housing in town centres would rejuvenate these areas. Exeter has responded to the House of Fraser closing by creating a new hotel there, alongside new apartments planned for the burnt down Clarence hotel. New apartments were also a big part of their Southernhay retail development, and it’s certainly vibrant.

May 16, 2016
I thought the centre of Plymouth is undergoing a revamp. Landscaping (again) and the creation of more mixed use occupancy.

It's Looking rough now because of the works. Attracting replacements for the retailers that have gone will take time and is probably the case throughout the UK. Lots of larger premises are being subdivided into smaller units if I read correctly.

From the Station downwards to the sea there's work in progress.

Reactions: Frank Butcher
Aug 17, 2005
I know it’s the hardest time to find new infrastructure investment, with the recession only worsening, but surely now is the time to consider how the housing crisis could provide the solution to dying town centres and boarded up shops. Bricks and mortar retailing is in long term decline, but housing in town centres would rejuvenate these areas. Exeter has responded to the House of Fraser closing by creating a new hotel there, alongside new apartments planned for the burnt down Clarence hotel. New apartments were also a big part of their Southernhay retail development, and it’s certainly vibrant.
There ia plans in to change bith debenhams and house of fraser into apartments. Having said that it was meant to happen to the top of woolworths and never been done

Reactions: Fulwoodgreen

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And the Millbay boulevard will be largely housing. Plus the Civic Centre is finally getting done, so it is happening.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Returned to Plymouth after many years. Disappointed with the CBD.
Lived in the new Mount Wise complex for three years. Jolly Jacks my local, Mt Wise Observation Tower, park and Richmond Walk all highlight I throughly enjoyed, almost on a daily basis. Trips across to Mt Edgecumbe, Dartmoor and surrounding areas always brilliant. So much to offer if you care to look.
Returned to Australia for family reasons.

Reactions: chester

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I was down for the MK game yesterday we stayed at the Premier Inn on Lockyer’s Quay. Had a walk yesterday morning around the Barbican and a coffee from the little place next to the Mayflower Steps. Watched a few boats steaming in and out of the harbour. Took a few photos of historical stuff and my wife and I were saying that few cities can claim to have a front room like Plymouth, with its views. It was bustling even in the morning. The sky blue and the sea like glass. Every town has its rough bits, but few have a spot like that

Aug 1, 2015
I think there are many who have moved to the city in the Pandemic and enjoyed the environment around the city Dartmoor, Mt. Edgcumbe, the coastline and access to Cornwall and South Devon. Housing is relatively cheap and areas like Devonport and Stoke are being regenerated. The city centre is rather sad and there are obvious long term problems concerning too many retail units but this is one negative compared with the manu positives.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I was down for the MK game yesterday we stayed at the Premier Inn on Lockyer’s Quay. Had a walk yesterday morning around the Barbican and a coffee from the little place next to the Mayflower Steps. Watched a few boats steaming in and out of the harbour. Took a few photos of historical stuff and my wife and I were saying that few cities can claim to have a front room like Plymouth, with its views. It was bustling even in the morning. The sky blue and the sea like glass. Every town has its rough bits, but few have a spot like that
Well said FoDG!
Plymouth is a beautiful city and I would move back tomorrow if I could. It certainly has the most spectacular of views.
We should praise the city more. You hear little negativity from the likes of Liverpool, Brighton, Bath and Edinburgh and I'd much rather live in Plymouth than any of those.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I'l never forget that (over 50 years ago) I came home from my first term at Uni. I arrived on the coach, instead of going straight home, I walked up Armada Way to the Hoe. To breast that rise and see the Sound, Breakwater and Devon and Cornwall coast to each side was one of the most breathtakingly beautiful sights that I have ever seen in my life. I freely admit that I blubbed like a babe. I realised (having been away) what I had taken for granted all my life.

Name me another City Centre in the world where you can see a sight like that?

Parts of Plymouth need investment, parts of it are worldy!! 😍

Arriving by sea in the grey funnel line the sight on rounding Rame Head is one of the finest anywhere.

Sep 3, 2009
Nearly all cities have their good points and their bad points. But Plymouth will always be home. There aren’t too many places in the UK where you can get anything like the view you get walking along Mountbatten Pier. Certainly not Sheffield for example.
Interesting, though, that the view is natural and didn't cost anything, or require any imagination to make it amazing!

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
It seems like something is very wrong with the assessment of viability appraisals attached to major planning applications given the number of stalled projects and 'demolition only' sites in the city at the moment.
I understand that global financial headwinds have affected construction costs and the economic viability of certain projects but many of the sites have been vacant or behind hoardings since before the pandemic.
Comparatively and anecdotally speaking I don't see the same number of mothballed sites in other towns and cities.
I understand that councils are desperate to approve schemes with the juicy carrot of an S106 clause to make developers plug the gap in funding for local services. But if schemes aren't ever going to see the light of day and are, in some cases are quite transparently acts of landbanking, then the local authority should be really really scrutinising the plausibility of some of these projects before approval.
These sites should be enjoyed by local people, not as a figure in an 'assets' column on the spreadsheet of some Kafka-esque developer.

Last edited: