Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 113 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
1. They have to be free
2. They almost certainly have to be internationals.

This means that we have either a very thin chance or a very fat one!

Reactions: Drake
Apr 1, 2009
I like the look of Azaz and bali Mumba they work well together.. can't wait for Miller to return.. ..boy can he cross a ball.... still need a striker though .. me id look abroad plenty of wee nuggets out there as luggie use to say
Very difficult nowadays to go abroad - work permits for the equivalents of Friio and Larrieu just not going to happen.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I like the look of Azaz and bali Mumba they work well together.. can't wait for Miller to return.. ..boy can he cross a ball.... still need a striker though .. me id look abroad plenty of wee nuggets out there as luggie use to say
Post Brexit that ain't happening at our level.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Very difficult nowadays to go abroad - work permits for the equivalents of Friio and Larrieu just not going to happen.

Until we reach the champiknship

Apr 1, 2009
Until we reach the champiknship
Yes, to some extent. But at that point you are looking at a rather different overseas player. You're looking at international players in the less good football nations, who by definition are "known" to most of the clubs you are competing with. The original remark was finding wee nuggets overseas as Luggy did when we found a couple of complete unknowns in the 3rd tier of French football. That is quite simply not possible now.

Dec 30, 2020
The new criteria for work permits do make it much easier to sign South American players.

Anyone playing regularly for a club in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Chile or Uruguay that qualifies for continental competition would probably get a permit, even if they're not an international.

I don't know what players' wages in those countries are like, but doesn't seem inconceivable that Argyle would be financially competitive in some cases. I wonder if it's something we've looked into?

Mar 16, 2009
London
The new criteria for work permits do make it much easier to sign South American players.

Anyone playing regularly for a club in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Chile or Uruguay that qualifies for continental competition would probably get a permit, even if they're not an international.

I don't know what players' wages in those countries are like, but doesn't seem inconceivable that Argyle would be financially competitive in some cases. I wonder if it's something we've looked into?

It wouldn't just be wages to consider.

We'd need a South American community at the club, or at the very least a Portuguese-speaking contingent.

There's a duty of care to consider.

Imagine how alien it would be for a player, barely speaking any English, no friends or family around, taking a leap of faith and moving to Devon.

Unlikely they'd fulfil any potential under those conditions unfortunately and very unlikely any young player would take the risk.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
There is no chance we will sign a player that is playing in South American continental competition. It is just below European continental level. The last South American I can remember us having (Andres Gurrieri) was playing second and third division football there before and after his spell in England.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
1. They have to be free
2. They almost certainly have to be internationals.

This means that we have either a very thin chance or a very fat one!

Not sure why they have to be free?? - we've paid out transfer fees for quite a few recent players George Cooper, Hardie, Ennis to mention a few..

Dec 30, 2020
There is no chance we will sign a player that is playing in South American continental competition. It is just below European continental level. The last South American I can remember us having (Andres Gurrieri) was playing second and third division football there before and after his spell in England.

I don’t know anything about South American club football, but I find it very hard to believe that even the top clubs in Chile, Colombia or Uruguay would be able to offer anything like the wages of a Championship club, and probably not even league one. Uruguay has a population about the size of Wales and the average wage is about £9,000.

Wikipedia, so not the best source, but this suggests that revenue per team in League One is a little bit lower than the Colombian top division, a third higher than Chile and Uruguay doesn't make the list.

Sep 12, 2015
It wouldn't just be wages to consider.

We'd need a South American community at the club, or at the very least a Portuguese-speaking contingent.

There's a duty of care to consider.

Imagine how alien it would be for a player, barely speaking any English, no friends or family around, taking a leap of faith and moving to Devon.

Unlikely they'd fulfil any potential under those conditions unfortunately and very unlikely any young player would take the risk.
Duty of care , !! what about the Scots who cross the border , can’t understand a word their saying , a wee dram will sort there loneliness out , for gods sake. lol

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I don’t know anything about South American club football, but I find it very hard to believe that even the top clubs in Chile, Colombia or Uruguay would be able to offer anything like the wages of a Championship club, and probably not even league one. Uruguay has a population about the size of Wales and the average wage is about £9,000.

Wikipedia, so not the best source, but this suggests that revenue per team in League One is a little bit lower than the Colombian top division, a third higher than Chile and Uruguay doesn't make the list.

I think problem may lie also with the fact that I don’t think we currently look into the data analytics of South American football so wouldn’t have data on players like we do in the UK and Ireland.

Reactions: Penmaster
Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm

My point is more that, if you were such a player, why would you come to a third division club in England when you could be playing continental football at home and more likely to catch the eye of national team scouts etc. Aside from the fact they are likely above our level, I don’t think we’d be offering the sort of life-changing money that would tempt someone.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
My point is more that, if you were such a player, why would you come to a third division club in England when you could be playing continental football at home and more likely to catch the eye of national team scouts etc. I don’t think we’d be offering the sort of life changing money that would tempt someone.

We’re not talking about international level players - more like English championship level. I’d say that £4,000 a week or £208,000 a year could be pretty life changing if you’re only earning £500 a week in somewhere like Uruguay.

It would be for me anyway.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I think Argyle are short upfront but unless they lose a forward l can’t see anything coming in up top.

I think we have enough defenders. So the only other place is if Camara is sold.

I will be surprised if he is still here tbh.

Reactions: Beyton Green