Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 26 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
JannerinCardiff":1hlzlpt1 said:
Emu":1hlzlpt1 said:
Dan Crawley, 23, midfield playmaker just been released by Birmingham City.

"Crowley is a creative midfielder with quick feet, strong dribbling skills and a speciality for set pieces"

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

https://birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... after-all/

If you take a look at his statistics from last year, you can see that he can offer us that ‘dictating play’ option in central midfield; averaging an 82.5% pass completion rate, 1.5 key passes per game and 1.2 long balls per game.

Plus, having had 1.8 dribbles per game out wide, the most of any Blues player last campaign, he’s clearly not scared to take a man on, so if he can just transfer that from a winger to driving through the heart of the midfield, then I think we really could be onto something here.

You might be tempted to say that Crowley is a jack of all trades, but a master of none, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing.

Any use to us?

Good bit of analysis Emu.. he certainly looks a decent player.

I agree he looks a decent player and has had great playing experience, but looking at various web-sites he appears to have had relationship issues with coaching staff at both Barnsley and Oxford, a trait that surfaced at Arsenal and probably caused his release

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
JannerinCardiff":7lzbd11u said:
Emu":7lzbd11u said:

"Crowley is a creative midfielder with quick feet, strong dribbling skills and a speciality for set pieces"

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

If you take a look at his statistics from last year, you can see that he can offer us that ‘dictating play’ option in central midfield; averaging an 82.5% pass completion rate, 1.5 key passes per game and 1.2 long balls per game.

Plus, having had 1.8 dribbles per game out wide, the most of any Blues player last campaign, he’s clearly not scared to take a man on, so if he can just transfer that from a winger to driving through the heart of the midfield, then I think we really could be onto something here.

You might be tempted to say that Crowley is a jack of all trades, but a master of none, but I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing.

Any use to us?

Makes you wonder if Mark Day, who wrote the article, is his agent as well as being a journalist.

Aug 5, 2016
Emu":2es2w0a1 said:

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

Any use to us?

Are those stats meant to be impressive?

Mayor has more than 1.8 dribbles down the wing every 10 minutes, and he is playing centre midfield. And Camara can’t be far behind.

Those stats sound like someone trying to get Tyrese Fornah a move but without much to work with, except Fornah’s passing accuracy was a lot better than 82%.

Sep 2, 2008
Emu":1ta4h90p said:

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

Any use to us?

Thats dictating play is it? Just over 1 key pass a game and 1 long ball per game with a 82.5% pass completion sounds like he does a lot of 5 yard passes to the sides and back. Doesn't sound like dictating play to me. If someone published those stats as a selling point then he needs to get a new job because I can't see that report attracting anybody. Having said that, Lowe probably will be interested :think:

Aug 17, 2005
Liam coyle u23 released by Liverpool can play defensive midfield centre back and right back. Others higher up the pecking order probably interested but u never know

May 22, 2006
JannerinCardiff":3etj6aj1 said:
Emu":3etj6aj1 said:

Ex Arsenal apprentice.

Any use to us?

It’s a rather strange piece of analysis sounding like he was a key player at Birmingham. Dan has been on loan at Hull since about January where he started off well but hardly figured in the team during the final run in. I don’t think Bowyer has seen him play and yet he is surplus to requirements.

His career seems to have been hit by being at clubs where there have been management changes leaving him frozen out. Wenger left while he was Arsenal and there were manager changes while he was in Holland. Not sure if it was a case of too much too soon for him as he was on good money when Arsenal pinched him from Villa. His initial wage at Birmingham was low but then doubled. Possibly that is the reason for no longer wanting him.

As a player he is reminiscent of Gordon Strachen in stature and play. Definitely has ability but would probably only be of interest to us if Mayor needed replacement. Most obvious club he would sign for would be his home town of Coventry but he may look to go abroad where the style of play would bring out the best of him.

Nov 2, 2004
signalspast":1z09rlzi said:
Liam coyle u23 released by Liverpool can play defensive midfield centre back and right back. Others higher up the pecking order probably interested but u never know

He failed in a Bolton trial last season so I doubt he will be aiming any higher than us.

Jul 28, 2020
signalspast":6j8t02on said:

Not sure about Coyle.... but I notice Liverpool are considering the future of left winger Liam Miller, aged 21.......remember him ? The guy who ripped us in half down the Charlton left wing .... he played 27 games on loan for the addicks last season ..I imagine there would be a fee involved .. story from FLW website ....

Apr 30, 2011
Biggs":2lhgvvvy said:
Darren Stoneman":2lhgvvvy said:
Carey was good when playing at home , but playing away from home was a real concern when he was here, obviously must be enjoying playing at home in Bulgaria, the away trips are obviously less attractive

Careful :lol:

Had to read that three times, but yes :lol:

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Penmaster":3pt1ev85 said:
Biggs":3pt1ev85 said:
Darren Stoneman":3pt1ev85 said:
Carey was good when playing at home , but playing away from home was a real concern when he was here, obviously must be enjoying playing at home in Bulgaria, the away trips are obviously less attractive

Careful :lol:

Had to read that three times, but yes :lol:
Oh!....and there was me about to dig out some stats to disprove that :oops:

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
The guy I'd really like to see us sign is Nicky Devlin, who's left Livingston. Had two seasons at Walsall and was much loved there. He's a tough tackling RB/RWB with bags of energy and must be coming into his prime by now. He's also a leader - was captain of a good Ayr side at only 22. Oh and he's a pal of Joe Edwards, too.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Good shout East End!

How long a contract would he want? What would his wages be?

The Devlin is in the detail :coat:

May 27, 2021
If Lowe is prioritizing experience this upcoming campaign, there are a few players released from Sunderland worth a look. Maguire, Power and Leadbitter.

The latter probably has very little left in his legs, but again, if experience is big selling point, few players have more experience than him at this level.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Lousy_Pint":w4k1fobu said:
Good shout East End!

He was on a two year deal at Walsall and another two year deal at Livi. I don't know if he was released or chose not to renew - I suspect the latter. Hibs are rumoured to be in for him, which, while we could (probably) compete on wages, would mean the opportunity of European football.

Jul 28, 2020
East End Green":1t4p0qqy said:
Lousy_Pint":1t4p0qqy said:
Good shout East End!

He was on a two year deal at Walsall and another two year deal at Livi. I don't know if he was released or chose not to renew - I suspect the latter. Hibs are rumoured to be in for him, which, while we could (probably) compete on wages, would mean the opportunity of European football.

Good spot that Eastender. Declining would have been a good target for Argyle - having swept the player of the year awards this season. However, I understand that the club have now exercised a one year extension to his contract.

Your post prompted me to read around news reports for the SPL- as this has been a good source of players for Argyle in the past.

A Number of interesting things are happening north of the border, it seems. Scottish clubs seem to be more pro- active in their player recruitment. For example, St. Mirren have just announced a strategic partnership with two New Zealand clubs ( similar to existing agreements they have in place with an Australian side and a Northern Ireland team). This will involve “ collaboration and the exchange of players and coaches”.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen are trying to sign Striker Christian Ramirez from Houston Dynamos. There are concerns over whether they will be able to get a work permit.... even though Ramirez has played twice for the US national team in 2019.

A number of Scottish players are now available, having been released at the end of their contracts. Kilmarnock , having been relegated have released right winger Chris Burke, who was apparently one of their star performers- and there is reported interest from other SPL sides. Kyle Lafferty and former Wimbledon midfielder Mitch Pennock are also on the market. Some of the players are none too happy at Ross County..... they found out they were being released....
On “zoom”. Amongst their number are 6’5” defensive midfielder Ross Draper and Jason Naismith, a right back, who has been linked with Argyle before .......