Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 24 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Railway sleeper":1tb5j05g said:
JannerinCardiff":1tb5j05g said:
Railway sleeper":1tb5j05g said:
JannerinCardiff":1tb5j05g said:
jimsing":1tb5j05g said:
Championship quality centre backs will be too expensive for us.

We will be looking for similar, but less expensive models.

In eh case of Nathan Baker - Can a 30 year defender that only played 3 matches last season (due probably to Bristol City already being safe and were playing players that they wanted to make a decision on contract wise) get a contract at Championship level anymore be able to command the wages he might have been used to? I don't think so personally. Also I think lots of out of contract players might have the shock of their lives when you consider the majority of clubs are skint because of covid.

I'd still say that Nathan Baker could be a possibility for us wage wise, certainly not out of the question.

Not really the type of signing I would want- we’ve tried this type before.... and ended up in a David Mcnamee or Lewis McLeod scenario....

The best type of player to sign IMO are those with a limited profile but a record of success in the lower leagues - such as your sonny Bradley’s ( Crawley),, your Dwight Marshall’s ( Geays athletic), and your panache cameras ( Crawley)...

Or .... the top talent in reserve teams in the higher league ( as opposed to the also- rans we’ve seen in recent years)- David Norris and sylvan Eubanks- Blake fit this criteria

What do these signings have in common ? Motivation.

They have to do well at Argyle, in order to have a successful career

Many successful players start their journeys in the lower leagues, and the trick is to spot them, and sign them - on the way up.

What we don’t want is players who have already established themselves, have a history of injury and are perhaps .... on the way down ? :sad:

So based on your view you wouldn't have wanted James Wilson at all.?

And based on this view you would have also wanted a Will Aimson instead who would have been successful in gaining promotion at Bury in L2.

Based on a mid- understanding on your part, I think.

Nathan baker played 111 games for villa 2009-2017.Wilson and aimson- have yet to feature regularly in the championship.

Hence my reference to the need for motivation and to prove their potential at Argyle. Because the championship is , hopefully, where we are headed.The Aimson and Wilson signings were “win,win” for both parties.

On the other hand what has Baker to prove at Argyle, which he hasn’t already proven at Villa ( if indeed he gets over his injury issues )?

I take your point but you could argue what was Nathan Baker's motivation to drop down the championship for the 6 seasons with Millwall or Bristol City given he played 111 games in the Premiership with Villa. I think motivation is all about getting the right sort of characters who are self motivated just to play their best whoever they put a shirt on for.

The fact that Baker has played well at Bristol City enough to stay there 5 seasons tells me he is able to drop a level and still be motivated enough to play. He proved this when he went on a loan deal to Lincoln where he played 18 matches at the beginning of his contract with Villa - he then fought his way into full Villa team not long after and went on to make 111 appearances for the VIllians.

To summise, I certainly wouldn't generalise saying players that drop down a level can't be motivated and question Nathan Bakers individual motivations were he to put on an Argyle shirt if we could afford him.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Dreamgreen":203z1o4p said:
Joe Pigott leaving Wimbledon. He certainly was a nuisance against us.

Good player in my eyes. 20 goals last season in L1 with just under a 1 goals every 3 games ratio. He can hold the ball up and bring others into play, beat a man and is big enough at 6ft 2in to win some balls in the air when we need to play it long.

I'd love to get him but I reckon he's destined to play in the championship next season.

Jul 28, 2020
The Doctor":9edgdqbb said:
Railway sleeper":9edgdqbb said:
On the other hand what has Baker to prove at Argyle, which he hasn’t already proven at villa ( if indeed he gets over his injury issues )?
[selective quote to shorten the post!]

Why does he, or anyone else, have to prove something? Perhaps he'd just like to enjoy playing well and contributing to a successful team. That seems like a perfectly valid goal in life for someone to me.

Just my opinion Doc. Views may vary :shock:

If you pay a man a good wage, then more than likely he’ll turn up and do a good job for you....

But if you want his best, just that little bit extra.... then you’ll have to motivate him

I just think it makes a football manager’s ( or in fact any manager) job so much easier if a player has self motivation to do well ( and that’s often the desire to “prove themselves” in footballers) - of the type that we saw when David Norris and Sonny Bradley first joined.

Mr Maslow had something to say on these issues :crazy:

Jun 27, 2019
JannerinCardiff":f11gwvfa said:
Dreamgreen":f11gwvfa said:
Joe Pigott leaving Wimbledon. He certainly was a nuisance against us.

Good player in my eyes. 20 goals last season in L1 with just under a 1 goals every 3 games ratio. He can hold the ball up and bring others into play, beat a man and is big enough at 6ft 2in to win some balls in the air when we need to play it long.

I'd love to get him but I reckon he's destined to play in the championship next season.

Yep. We have no chance of signing him - he'll be in the Championship next season or with a much bigger League One club than us.

Mar 14, 2009
We got an obscure obsession with ex Argyle players.

I didn’t think MacFadzean was bad. I didn’t think he was great either. Certainly if we are looking to eventually get in the top half of league one, he isn’t good enough.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Metal_Green_Mickey":2lf13ruz said:

I didn’t think MacFadzean was bad. I didn’t think he was great either. Certainly if we are looking to eventually get in the top half of league one, he isn’t good enough.

Agree

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":1pexeu4g said:

I also don't understand this obsession with ex Argyle players.
Most of them left because they weren't good enough or thought the grass was greener elsewhere.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Metal_Green_Mickey":b88uare6 said:

But McFadzean did get the best out of Danny Mayor* and formed a great partnership on the left and we still haven't adequately replaced him.
*assuming Mayor stays.

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":3aem0bvf said:

Umm Didn’t he just finish in the top half of League One - and play in a playoff semi final?

There’s nothing out of the ordinary in following the careers of players that have played for Argyle and impressed. Fans of all clubs must do this.

Go on a Manchester United forum and I am sure you will find references to how Romelu Lukaku has just won a title with Inter and finished the division’s second top scorer. It isn’t an ‘obsession with the past’ but just an interest in a much liked former player. And in McFadzean’s case one who is out of contract no less.