Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":vc5g0ufb said:
jimsing":vc5g0ufb said:
Championship quality centre backs will be too expensive for us.

We will be looking for similar, but less expensive models.

In eh case of Nathan Baker - Can a 30 year defender that only played 4 match last season (due probably to Bristol City already being safe and were playing players that they wanted to make a decision on contract wise) get a contract at Championship level anymore be able to command the wages he might have been used to? I don't think so personally. Also I think lots of out of contract players might have the shock of their lives when you consider the majority of clubs are skint because of covid.

I'd still say that Nathan Baker could be a possibility for us wage wise, certainly not out of the question.

We've got people on here criticising James Wilson joining because he only played 18 games last season. I think Nathan Baker and his 3 appearances might tip them over the edge.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Nobby":1lg3ehuo said:
JannerinCardiff":1lg3ehuo said:
jimsing":1lg3ehuo said:

In eh case of Nathan Baker - Can a 30 year defender that only played 4 match last season (due probably to Bristol City already being safe and were playing players that they wanted to make a decision on contract wise) get a contract at Championship level anymore be able to command the wages he might have been used to? I don't think so personally. Also I think lots of out of contract players might have the shock of their lives when you consider the majority of clubs are skint because of covid.

I'd still say that Nathan Baker could be a possibility for us wage wise, certainly not out of the question.

We've got people on here criticising James Wilson joining because he only played 18 games last season. I think Nathan Baker and his 3 appearances might tip them over the edge.

Baker was injured for a large part of last season mind..

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Welwyn Pilgrim":1009yxo8 said:
Callum McFadzean also released by Sunderland apparently

As was Remi Matthews.. If Mike Cooper was not in pole position as Argyle's No. 1 keeper, I would have been happy to see him back at Home Park.

Jul 18, 2011
In relation to wages, most teams will have less money to spend because of Covid and in that respect we are in a better situation than many, both with the money Simon has put into the club and the insurance claim. Many clubs are also cutting the number of players retained this year, as a result it is much more of a buyers market than it has been for a good few years.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Nobby":3krzgutg said:
MikeeeB":3krzgutg said:

27. SPL and Championship experience. This is the right profile of player. Whether he's any good I don't know.

Still think the Clark Robertson rumour may have legs... 6ft 2in... plenty of championship experience and still only 27. Interesting that even tho he played for a struggling championship team last season, when he did play his 16 appearances Rotherham only conceded 18 goals went he started which is more than respectable.

I'd guess he's certainly within our budget too.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Abbotts Ann Green":i5925xot said:
In relation to wages, most teams will have less money to spend because of Covid and in that respect we are in a better situation than many, both with the money Simon has put into the club and the insurance claim. Many clubs are also cutting the number of players retained this year, as a result it is much more of a buyers market than it has been for a good few years.

Totally agree Abbotts Ann Green :thumbup:

Jul 28, 2020
JannerinCardiff":1ch80twy said:
jimsing":1ch80twy said:

In eh case of Nathan Baker - Can a 30 year defender that only played 3 matches last season (due probably to Bristol City already being safe and were playing players that they wanted to make a decision on contract wise) get a contract at Championship level anymore be able to command the wages he might have been used to? I don't think so personally. Also I think lots of out of contract players might have the shock of their lives when you consider the majority of clubs are skint because of covid.

Not really the type of signing I would want- we’ve tried this type before.... and ended up in a David Mcnamee or Lewis McLeod scenario....

The best type of player to sign IMO are those with a limited profile but a record of success in the lower leagues - such as your sonny Bradley’s ( Crawley),, your Dwight Marshall’s ( Geays athletic), and your panache cameras ( Crawley)...

Or .... the top talent in reserve teams in the higher league ( as opposed to the also- rans we’ve seen in recent years)- David Norris and sylvan Eubanks- Blake fit this criteria

What do these signings have in common ? Motivation.

They have to do well at Argyle, in order to have a successful career

Many successful players start their journeys in the lower leagues, and the trick is to spot them, and sign them - on the way up.

What we don’t want is players who have already established themselves, have a history of injury and are perhaps .... on the way down ? :sad:

Nov 2, 2004
Railway sleeper":pdqzka67 said:
JannerinCardiff":pdqzka67 said:
jimsing":pdqzka67 said:

In eh case of Nathan Baker - Can a 30 year defender that only played 3 matches last season (due probably to Bristol City already being safe and were playing players that they wanted to make a decision on contract wise) get a contract at Championship level anymore be able to command the wages he might have been used to? I don't think so personally. Also I think lots of out of contract players might have the shock of their lives when you consider the majority of clubs are skint because of covid.

Not really the type of signing I would want- we’ve tried this type before.... and ended up in a David Mcnamee or Lewis McLeod scenario....

Not really that simple, what about Steve McCall, John Mathews , Micky Evans etc.
Not that simple what about Steve McCall, John Mathews, Micky Evans etc.

The best type of player to sign IMO are those with a limited profile but a record of success in the lower leagues - such as your sonny Bradley’s ( Crawley),, your Dwight Marshall’s ( Geays athletic), and your panache cameras ( Crawley)...

Or .... the top talent in reserve teams in the higher league ( as opposed to the also- rans we’ve seen in recent years)- David Norris and sylvan Eubanks- Blake fit this criteria

Many successful players start their journeys in the lower leagues, and the trick is to spot them, and sign them - on the way up.

What we don’t want is players who have already established themselves, have a history of injury and are perhaps .... on the way down ? :sad:

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Railway sleeper":rl8d88lj said:
JannerinCardiff":rl8d88lj said:
jimsing":rl8d88lj said:

So based on your view you wouldn't have wanted James Wilson at all.?

And based on this view you would have also wanted a Will Aimson instead who would have been successful in gaining promotion at Bury in L2.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Nobby":35y7roks said:
JannerinCardiff":35y7roks said:
jimsing":35y7roks said:

Taking out Baker's appearance record for last season he has a very respectable appearance tally for the 10 years previous.
Think he would be useful for us if he was interested (and wages could be agreed)...

The way I see it, at this level Argyle do have to take a gamble on a couple of players every season fitness wise. Macleod just another one in a long line. However, a gamble is what it is. If he stays fit then it could reap huge dividends.

Jul 28, 2020
JannerinCardiff":1e2av9bz said:
Railway sleeper":1e2av9bz said:
JannerinCardiff":1e2av9bz said:
jimsing":1e2av9bz said:

So based on your view you wouldn't have wanted James Wilson at all.?

And based on this view you would have also wanted a Will Aimson instead who would have been successful in gaining promotion at Bury in L2.

Based on a mid- understanding on your part, I think.

Nathan baker played 111 games for villa 2009-2017.Wilson and aimson- have yet to feature regularly in the championship.

Hence my reference to the need for motivation and to prove their potential at Argyle. Because the championship is , hopefully, where we are headed.The Aimson and Wilson signings were “win,win” for both parties.

On the other hand what has Baker to prove at Argyle, which he hasn’t already proven at villa ( if indeed he gets over his injury issues )?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Railway sleeper":2cayxxmx said:
On the other hand what has Baker to prove at Argyle, which he hasn’t already proven at villa ( if indeed he gets over his injury issues )?
[selective quote to shorten the post!]

Why does he, or anyone else, have to prove something? Perhaps he'd just like to enjoy playing well and contributing to a successful team. That seems like a perfectly valid goal in life for someone to me.