Plymouth Argyle Squad 2019/2020 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Squad 2019/2020

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
A quote from an article on the fans site:
The current squad is not up to scratch, and while it will obviously have a number of boosts in the next few weeks, good players seem to be finding new clubs all over the place right now and the pool of possible players is ever diminishing.

I just don't believe that the messiah is RL. If his family are not here, give him 6-9 months and "family pressures" will take him back to the North. I just don't believe all the hype. Take it or leave it. That is my opinion.

Jul 6, 2009
He has a lot of players lined up, some from Bury, some from other clubs. The targets are proven at this league or higher. The bloke is busy.

Sep 25, 2010
Pafcineurope":1r9nad9q said:
A quote from an article on the fans site:
The current squad is not up to scratch, and while it will obviously have a number of boosts in the next few weeks, good players seem to be finding new clubs all over the place right now and the pool of possible players is ever diminishing.

I just don't believe that the messiah is RL. If his family are not here, give him 6-9 months and "family pressures" will take him back to the North. I just don't believe all the hype. Take it or leave it. That is my opinion.

I’ll think we will leave it

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
skynet":54ofnso3 said:
He has a lot of players lined up, some from Bury, some from other clubs. The targets are proven at this league or higher. The bloke is busy.

Thanks Skynet , could you perhaps elaborate a little more on " lined up ", do you mean these players are signed , sealed and incoming in the very near future ?

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
What we have left from last season is now almost finalised. Freddie will go, and Lolos and Jephcott will hopefully sign on. So now we can start to think in more detail about what we need.

At Bury, Lowe apparently played 3-1-4-2 with attacking players in the front six positions. At the moment, we could line up like this...

Cooper
Wootton Canavan Sawyer
Sangster
ASB Sarcevic C Grant J Grant
Fletcher Taylor

That leaves Moore, Riley, Peck, Law, Randell, Purrington, Jephcott, Dyson and Lolos.

So where do we need to fill?

We clearly need one, probably two, keepers. It's anyone's guess what Lowe will make of Cooper, but most likely for me is that we get in a first choice and a backup and send Coops on loan somewhere.
GK x 2

The three centre halves above should be serviceable at L2 level, although I'd like one or two more. Mike Peck is our only back up (does anyone know if Law is able to play on the left, or would he be more on the left of the midfield four?). Ideally we'd get two starters in, but one right-sided starter and a backup may be enough.
CB x 2

Was made for Foxy. I think Conor Grant could be a long-term solution if he can stay fit. Sangster is a prospect but we need probably someone else in the holding role. Rossiter has been linked.
DCM x 1

We are clearly after some more attacking centre mids, having been linked with Cooper, O'Shea and Mayor. With Randell and Purrington as backup, I think we could see two additions here to compete with Sarce and Grant.
CM x 2

The wing-back positions are interesting. Apparently Lowe used two attacking players here for Bury. Seems made for Joel Grant. I think ASB would be a great option on the other side. Riley also impressed me before his hand injury, and Moore could look better playing further up. Could also be a role for Jephcott who generally played wide under Adams. Probably don't need/can't afford anything here unless someone moves on.

Taylor, if fit, should be a starter in L2. Fletcher, Dyson and Lolos are untested. Looks like we are interested in Maynard and Telford, so I'd expect at least one more striker to come in. That would give us five on the books so would probably be it unless someone moves on.
ST x 1

That would leave us with something like...

New GK
New CB Canavan Sawyer
C Grant
ASB Sarce New CM J Grant
Taylor New ST

This is all one man's opinion, but I'd say we need four new starters and up to eight more bodies in total. Interesting few weeks ahead.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Telford not Maynard(Mansfield) looking more likely given the rumours from Bury, but a minimum of 2 new established strikers seem inevitable.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Lobster":33kya2qa said:
What we have left from last season is now almost finalised. Freddie will go, and Lolos and Jephcott will hopefully sign on. So now we can start to think in more detail about what we need.

At Bury, Lowe apparently played 3-1-4-2 with attacking players in the front six positions. At the moment, we could line up like this...

Cooper
Wootton Canavan Sawyer
Sangster
ASB Sarcevic C Grant J Grant
Fletcher Taylor

That leaves Moore, Riley, Peck, Law, Randell, Purrington, Jephcott, Dyson and Lolos.

So where do we need to fill?

We clearly need one, probably two, keepers. It's anyone's guess what Lowe will make of Cooper, but most likely for me is that we get in a first choice and a backup and send Coops on loan somewhere.
GK x 2

The three centre halves above should be serviceable at L2 level, although I'd like one or two more. Mike Peck is our only back up (does anyone know if Law is able to play on the left, or would he be more on the left of the midfield four?). Ideally we'd get two starters in, but one right-sided starter and a backup may be enough.
CB x 2

Was made for Foxy. I think Conor Grant could be a long-term solution if he can stay fit. Sangster is a prospect but we need probably someone else in the holding role. Rossiter has been linked.
DCM x 1

We are clearly after some more attacking centre mids, having been linked with Cooper, O'Shea and Mayor. With Randell and Purrington as backup, I think we could see two additions here to compete with Sarce and Grant.
CM x 2

The wing-back positions are interesting. Apparently Lowe used two attacking players here for Bury. Seems made for Joel Grant. I think ASB would be a great option on the other side. Riley also impressed me before his hand injury, and Moore could look better playing further up. Could also be a role for Jephcott who generally played wide under Adams. Probably don't need/can't afford anything here unless someone moves on.

Taylor, if fit, should be a starter in L2. Fletcher, Dyson and Lolos are untested. Looks like we are interested in Maynard and Telford, so I'd expect at least one more striker to come in. That would give us five on the books so would probably be it unless someone moves on.
ST x 1

That would leave us with something like...

New GK
New CB Canavan Sawyer
C Grant
ASB Sarce New CM J Grant
Taylor New ST

This is all one man's opinion, but I'd say we need four new starters and up to eight more bodies in total. Interesting few weeks ahead.

So since this, Lowe has said he only wants one more keeper, Freddie has gone, Lolos and Jephcott have signed on and we've signed Edwards, Mayor and Aimson.

So for me, that leaves us needing: 1xGK, 1xCB, 1xDCM, 1xST.

Edwards and Mayor have been brought in to start, not sure where that leaves Sarce as I think they are probably set for the two CM positions. Mayor could possibly play just off Taylor with Sarce in the middle, but I'd say we are looking something like this at the moment...

New GK/Cooper
Aimson Canavan Sawyer
C Grant
ASB Mayor Edwards J Grant
Taylor New ST

Or we play a different formation entirely...

Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
GK; Cooper/new keeper

CB; Canavan Sawyer (Aimson/Barclay) potentially perm 3 from4

MF Edwards

Riley Mayor Sarcevic C grant

F Taylor J Grant/Fletcher

Just a suggestion. Riley when fit was ok at right back, ASB to be fair was also ok.
Conor Grant excellent until injured when he replaced Sawyer.
For me the issue is up front, Taylor is underrated by those who see goals scored as the only measure of a striker, unlike Freddie he can challenge effectively for the high balls, he will hold the ball up, and has the ability to bring his teammates in. Our purple patch in 2017-8 was based on Taylor holding the ball and bringing the skill players in to the game. We need to be able to pair him with someone with an eye for goal, that may be Fletcher, Locos or A N Other.
Finally I hope RL gives our youngster decent game time coming off the bench.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
After being a huge fan of Taylor two seasons ago I must admit to being disappointed by his effectiveness each time he was given a chance last season..... admittedly limited. Also, his ankles seem to be problematic and rule him out for long periods of the season. Would be delighted if he were to prove my fears about him to be unfounded

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
bringonthemilkman":3ntq3lgd said:
After being a huge fan of Taylor two seasons ago I must admit to being disappointed by his effectiveness each time he was given a chance last season..... admittedly limited. Also, his ankles seem to be problematic and rule him out for long periods of the season. Would be delighted if he were to prove my fears about him to be unfounded

In fairness, for Strikers more than any other, sharpness and momentum are crucial and Taylor didn’t get an opportunity to get either last season.

We saw how effective he was the year before.

I must admit, I’d be stunned if he scored 20 goals as Ryan Lowe is suggesting he is capable of.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Nobby":3mcsxmvh said:
bringonthemilkman":3mcsxmvh said:

In fairness, for Strikers more than any other, sharpness and momentum are crucial and Taylor didn’t get an opportunity to get either last season.

We saw how effective he was the year before.

I must admit, I’d be stunned if he scored 20 goals as Ryan Lowe is suggesting he is capable of.

Maybe, but there is a lot of footage on Youtube of Mayor storming into the box and laying the ball off inside the box or on the edge of the 6 yard box. If other 'Bury-stylee' players did that for Argyle then I could probably get 20!! :scarf: :lol:

Oct 31, 2015
From the Truro match the likely squad numbers for the season:
Current players
2 Joe Riley
3 Gary Sawyer
7 Antoni Sarcevic
8 Joe Edwards
9 Ryan Taylor
10 Danny Mayor
13 Jordan Holmes
14 Niall Canavan
15 Conor Grant
16 Joel Grant
18 Calum Dyson
19 Kaladi Lolos
20 Adam Randell
22 Tafari Moore
23 Ashley Smith-Brown
24 Luke Jephcott
25 Scott Wootton
26 Cameron Sangster
27 Ryan Lawe
28 Mike Peck
29 Alex Fletcher
30 Tom Purrington
31 Michael Cooper
? Will Aimson

Reading this absolutely scares me. What a dire squad. Hopefully RL can get the best out of them and offload/replace where needed. Truly awful set of players left behind :facepalm:

Aug 5, 2015
Yes the remaining squad are not overly impressive but let’s not forget the ones that left are largely responsible for getting us in this mess in the first place. Especially when they downed tools at Accrington. I think it’s also worth remembering that one of Luggy’s teams featured two players in the opening game of the season who we’d never heard of when we went to bed on the Friday night. So there’s plenty of work to be done but there’s also plenty of time to do it in. No need to panic just yet!

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Kentishgreen":2kmduxgo said:
Yes the remaining squad are not overly impressive but let’s not forget the ones that left are largely responsible for getting us in this mess in the first place. Especially when they downed tools at Accrington. I think it’s also worth remembering that one of Luggy’s teams featured two players in the opening game of the season who we’d never heard of when we went to bed on the Friday night. So there’s plenty of work to be done but there’s also plenty of time to do it in. No need to panic just yet!

It seems that there are more opportunitities here than there have been recently, namely:

● Parkway, as a Western league club, could be a good "1st step up" from Argyle juniors in the Devon league.
● Truro, in the Southern league, are a good step up from them, and
● Torquay act as a great midway point between that level and our own.

All of these are very hypothetical, but as these various clubs stand, all could benefit from tbe loan of players berween the various layers - all benefiting the "junior" club in the short term, and the "major" club [Argyle] in the longer.

All "lower" clubs benefit from the loan of young, inexperienced, but aspirational players (and perhaps from older player/coaches going back down), and Argo benefit from salted players with good lower league experience.

Why not?